Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Tesla job listings hit a low in Q4, both overall, and production related. Overall I can understand likely due to M3 ramp delay, so a lot of positions in sales/services may be pushed out, But production... I don't understand.

Tesla adds jobs - is their Model 3 production out of the ditch and back on the track?

upload_2018-3-9_20-48-58.png

upload_2018-3-9_20-51-52.png

echo chamber stuff :)

A lot of members here are up multiples on TSLA including myself, and the clowns you seem to think are more "rational" than us "fanboi's" have been handing us their money for years. Where is the echo chamber again?

Also, why do people feel the need to post what is said elsewhere as if everyone here is not capable of reading the nonstop drivel themselves?

I don't do Twitter, I don't do fb, I don't do redit. Why? Because I don't care what stupid thinks.

I'm fairly confident that 35-50% of the country will hate Tesla no matter what happens, why do I care? Is Ford in a panic because you couldn't pay me to drive an F150?

You too could be President if only you could get half the country to hate you.

Seems you don't have the courage of your convictions, but enough with the passive aggressive insults.

This just pees me off!
My son-in-law knows how to get under my skin:) While driving to the lake house our son-in-law texted me yesterday (Friday), had my wife read it, that two days in a row he had seen two semi’s loaded with Tesla’s heading north on I-5 around Olympia, WA, and, and, and another Model 3, this one in Lacey. Monday morning during coffee and egg bites he floated by having seen a semi loaded with what he thought were all Model 3s ~ plus having seen a 3 in the wild.
gD, I should be seeing all this myself, but no, I have to buy the coffee and egg bites to hear stories of Model 3s being released into the wild!
Oh, and a yoga buddy, and Model S owner, told my wife that he is waiting for an AWD 3 and pushed out his delivery. However, he has been eying our Model X and might just flip his 3 into an X.
I have to get out of this basement:-( Except tomorrow, just got a new high powered PC and our pair of Canadian Geese are back looking for a nesting site:)

Gene Munster is out with a note on the Tesla Network. His conclusions are:
  • While a long ways away, we believe there’s a greater than 50% chance that Tesla will operate a ride-sharing fleet by 2023.
  • The fleet could add $2B to $6B in high margin revenue for Tesla starting in 2023. Tesla does not make money today.
  • Separately, we believe there is also a greater than 50% chance that Tesla will allow Tesla owners to add their vehicles to the fleet part-time. While only a small percentage of owners will opt in, the financial reward is measurable and could earn the owner enough to pay their vehicle lease.
  • We believe Tesla could have between 4% and 10% of the U.S. ride-sharing market in 2023.
  • If several key obstacles are overcome, most notably achieving autonomy, Tesla will have a handful of substantial advantages over competitors in the space.
Tesla’s Multi-Billion Dollar Ride-Sharing Opportunity | Loup Ventures

Regarding the trade war, it seems like Norway at least won't respond. We're a significant exporter of aluminium, but it's mostly going to Europe, and the effects are assessed to be fairly small. So, good news for Tesla.

That would be if Tesla is getting aluminum from a Norwegian company. Are they?

You can’t just change aluminum (or steel, though steel is more forgiving) suppliers and voila. Every company has slight differences in their metals even when the material falls into the same category. It’s kind of like bread. Six companies could be making plain ole white bread with the same general recipe and yet each bread will have a slighly different texture, shape, taste etc....

A half percent more of maganese might change how the aluminum would respond to forming causing all sorts of issues and die/press changes. Indeed, two exactly identical aluminum recipes made at two different facilities will result in different performance of the aluminum because something will have been done differently- slightly different temperature used, cooled a bit differently, some impurities fell from the factory rafters.... These reasons and more are why material has batch numbers. The response of the aluminum will vary by batch; hopefully within spec but not always.

Probably not an insurmountable problem to switch to a Norwegian supplier but also not necessarily not an issue. Just a risk.

I know everyone hates Trump and yada, yada and yada. But he is like a dog with a bone and Elon spoon fed him a nice juicy T-bone. Elon is the master of using Twitter to negotiate on behalf of his companies. This is why I love Twitter and hate Facebook. Twitter is no much more precise and not bogged down with cat videos. I swear I have 40 friends in face book and I have to go through 50 cat videos to see in family picture.

What’s your problem with cat videos? Better than stupid dog videos. And what’s up with the goat videos?

That would be if Tesla is getting aluminum from a Norwegian company. Are they?

You can’t just change aluminum (or steel, though steel is more forgiving) suppliers and voila. Every company has slight differences in their metals even when the material falls into the same category. It’s kind of like bread. Six companies could be making plain ole white bread with the same general recipe and yet each bread will have a slighly different texture, shape, taste etc....

A half percent more of maganese might change how the aluminum would respond to forming causing all sorts of issues and die/press changes. Indeed, two exactly identical aluminum recipes made at two different facilities will result in different performance of the aluminum because something will have been done differently- slightly different temperature used, cooled a bit differently, some impurities fell from the factory rafters.... These reasons and more are why material has batch numbers. The response of the aluminum will vary by batch; hopefully within spec but not always.

Probably not an insurmountable problem to switch to a Norwegian supplier but also not necessarily not an issue. Just a risk.
I meant it's good news Norway won't be slapping US vehicles with a 10-30% toll, for instance. Teslas are one of the biggest value imports from the US, and would therefore be a prime target for punishing the US.

But that won't happen - we won't be responding to the new US tolls. We might try to get an exemption, as well.

Edit: Just checked, and imports from the US amounted to 46.35 billion NOK in 2017. And Tesla sales in 2017 were 8460, which at an average of ~700k NOK per vehicle amount to around 6 billion NOK. That means Teslas comprise ~13% of imports into Norway from the US.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long part, but this blasphemy cannot stand.

The competition miss conception...

Now that the magical year of 2020 is creeping ever closer, we are hearing more and more about credible competition. The ipace and Audi etron are first up. Some think this is a threat to Tesla because they are all EVs and as we all know, only 1% of people on the Earth want an EV so all these companies are going to be fighting for these people. Tesla literally has less then 1% of the global auto market and not even the biggest share if the EV market by units of you include China.

Some crazy high precent of people believe in global warming and everyone likes to breath clean air and drink clean water. People also really like peppy acceleration and cars that are fun to drive and not ugly. I have never met anyone one who likes a sluggish slow car. People who already have fast cars don't like turbo lag.

Just looking at the current crop of EVs, the ipace and etron. My guess is that Tesla will not see a noticeable decrease in demand since they already cannot fulfill the demand they have. Instead, I see these new vehicles impacting sales of BMW and Daimler and even Audi SUVs. They are smaller vehicles so they are not in same segment as the model X. These vehicles will also be loss leaders for the two companies that are learning how to make EVs. Sales of these vehicles will offset not only Daimler and BMWs sales in the same class but also they will cannibalize sales from they own profitable SUVs. Also, production of these vehicles are estimates at just above compliance levels. My guess is that is because they don't want to go out of business selling these things at a loss instead of their own very profitable icev products. Certainly some people in the market for an S or X will be lured away. The limited production is not just a factor of profitablity, but also battery supply. With something like 120 models coming in the magical year of 2020, there is going to be a battery supply issue. Even at compliance levels, 60 models would require 1.2-1.8 million cars worth of gigafactories or about 120-180GWh worth of cells and packs. In less then 2 years. For comparison sake, the gigafactory won't even supply that many batteries by 2020 and they broke ground years ago on that facility. Those 20-30k cars being sold will not offset sales of S3XY vehicles in any meaning full way, but they will offset sales of those car companies profitable brands, at exactly the same time the model Y is hitting the roads and the model 3 is ramping to 1M/Y. Those vehicles will multiply losses by cannibalizing profitable models with r&d heavy, retail batteries (compared to Tesla) and the costs of creating completely new lines since these will be new platforms. I chose to use only 60 instead of 120 because half will be delayed and maybe even indefinitely. As my pops would say, they are in serious deep dodo.

But let's not forget that these vehicles are Targeted at 2014 model year designs, tech and range. I can assure you that if there ever is real competition, Tesla will release software patches to increase performance, update the interior with an augmented reality HUD and convert to 2170 cells and leave the completion lacking.

There are No EVs coming in the near future or exist today that complete with the model 3. Range, features, charging (in part due to how efficient the vehicle is), charging network. Performance and range should only get better with dual motor version. And then there is the P variant on the high end and SR coming on the low end. The base model 3 has a real chance to make an impact on a broad range of vehicles from Camry's to Accords and even Carollas in the most extreme situations where you have solar and drive a lot of miles. On the higher end, the model 3 will compete with M3s and when base 5 series, while model S moves up market.

Model Y has a real chance to gut sales of many popular vehicles even with a potential 2 year wait list. If you look at the improvements from S to X (all but fwd) and then the improvements to efficiency and cost of model 3. Then take into account the semi and roadster with mind bending specs that seem to have people thinking physics has been compromised I'm some way. Does anyone have a guess as to how the model Y will a stack up with those 2020 cars? My guess is that half of those cars don't make it to market at all because no one will want them.

A lot of members here are up multiples on TSLA including myself, and the clowns you seem to think are more "rational" than us "fanboi's" have been handing us their money for years. Where is the echo chamber again?

Also, why do people feel the need to post what is said elsewhere as if everyone here is not capable of reading the nonstop drivel themselves?

I don't do Twitter, I don't do fb, I don't do redit. Why? Because I don't care what stupid thinks.

I'm fairly confident that 35-50% of the country will hate Tesla no matter what happens, why do I care? Is Ford in a panic because you couldn't pay me to drive an F150?

You too could be President if only you could get half the country to hate you.

Seems you don't have the courage of your convictions, but enough with the passive aggressive insults.

Ha, added "More Echo Chamber" stuff as self-depricating humor and I get to hear an earful.

My Tesla multiples are in the 1000%(percent) .. I too am super long Tesla
People provide links to what they think others might also find interesting. Some have given in likes - so I think that proves the point
Thinking that twitter and fb etc etc is all stupid is the most ignorant thing I have heard on TMC

One thing you are right on is my convictions. Lately I have had to question them. With S/X ramps, I had calculated that M3 ramp would be in S curve mode by now and that hasn't happened - so I have been getting out of the too OTM Calls for Jan 19 and moving more to Jan 20 LEAPS, along with a healthy doze of short term puts and Covered Calls ...

~ Cheers!!

Reactions: immunogold
Status
Not open for further replies.