Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply incredible......."Speaking at the company's annual news conference outside Stuttgart, CEO Volkmar Denner said the solution is available now and can be incorporated into production vehicles without adding significant cost.

"Combustion engines — whether powered by diesel or gasoline — will soon emit so little in the way of particulates and nitrogen oxides that they will have no significant impact on the air," he said"

Perhaps he should be the first to volunteer himself for the next diesel engine monkey test......?

I'll contribute if anyone takes up a collection for Denner to lead a diesel engine human test.

Yeah, the same for me. Well, except the maintenance. The Model X is the most expensive car to maintain I've owned, by a wide margin.
What do you think made MX maintenance so high?

I've owned a Prius since 2004 and spent ~$11k on maintenance. About $2k of it was on tires, and $9k with Toyota dealer. Out of the $9k, maybe $2k was for minor accident repair unrelated to car type/model, and the majority of the expense are related to ICE power train (oil, gas filter, fluids etc), and going to the dealership to get all maintenance work done probably didn't help, but they are <0.5 mile from my house so I got lazy. In your opinion, does Tesla charge more or less vs dealership for comparable work?

I rated this funny but with a twinge of concern for the death of the bear. I've been accused of being a tree-hugger before but my twinge at being labelled here a bear-hugger overwhelmed.
When we get to 5k/wk, everyone hug a bear and don't let them get away.

BTW @Teslie is already spoken for:
upload_2018-4-25_11-57-57.png

What do you think made MX maintenance so high?

I've owned a Prius since 2004 and spent ~$11k on maintenance. About $2k of it was on tires, and $9k with Toyota dealer. Out of the $9k, maybe $2k was for minor accident repair unrelated to car type/model, and the majority of the expense are related to ICE power train (oil, gas filter, fluids etc), and going to the dealership to get all maintenance work done probably didn't help, but they are <0.5 mile from my house so I got lazy. In your opinion, does Tesla charge more or less vs dealership for comparable work?
Okay, I went back and reviewed my bills for maintenance of my fossil cars, and I guess the Model X isn't that much more expensive. It's pretty much comparable. But those were out-of-warranty cars that needed something done every year. Roughly 1000 USD/year for Tesla to do some minor maintenance on the Model X seems like quite poor value for money. I know service on other EVs costs like a third.

Looking at the service plans - I see changing the oil on the drive units has been removed - when did that happen? But the price is unchanged. Now the first service is *really* poor value for money. They charge 830 USD for two key fob batteries, windshield wipers, checking the wheel alignment and an inspection...

38 Million Shares Shorted.

Let that sink in...

As ValueAnalyst has pointed out in his/her article (still not sure if female or male!), this is big. I've been waiting for a number like this for years and I cannot believe it happened. And I cannot believe the stock was $300 a share when it happened.

This massive short position will create one of the biggest wars over a stock you have ever seen and may EVER see. It will make the last 5 years seem like a walk in the park.

I've placed my bets...long as long could be (without any debt or options). It may take years..but this is the beginning of a new phase in Tesla's stock.

History in the making.

• Love
Reactions: MacRocket
38 Million Shares Shorted.

Let that sink in...

As ValueAnalyst has pointed out in his/her article (still not sure if female or male!), this is big. I've been waiting for a number like this for years and I cannot believe it happened. And I cannot believe the stock was $300 a share when it happened.

This massive short position will create one of the biggest wars over a stock you have ever seen and may EVER see. It will make the last 5 years seem like a walk in the park.

I've placed my bets...long as long could be (without any debt or options). It may take years..but this is the beginning of a new phase in Tesla's stock.

History in the making.

I find the shorting stuff and all the paid stooges in the press and elsewhere that come with it annoying, can anyone explain to me whats the value for the market or for society due to the practice of shortening? IMO it just incentivizes destructive behavior, if you bet so much money against a company you better make sure the thing falls apart.

Looking at the service plans - I see changing the oil on the drive units has been removed - when did that happen? But the price is unchanged. Now the first service is *really* poor value for money. They charge 830 USD for two key fob batteries, windshield wipers, checking the wheel alignment and an inspection...

Seems like replacing key fob batteries and windshield wipers yourself and getting a wheel alignment at an independent shop makes sense doesn't it?

Get Tesla service inspection right before 4 year bumper to bumper warranty ends and then again before 8 year battery pack warranty expires.

Then take it back in year 12 to change DU oil. Skip 9 $830 services.

Seems like replacing key fob batteries and windshield wipers yourself and getting a wheel alignment at an independent shop makes sense doesn't it?

Get Tesla service inspection right before 4 year bumper to bumper warranty ends and then again before 8 year battery pack warranty expires.

Then take it back in year 12 to change DU oil. Skip 9 $830 services.
Yeah, I'm going to have to consider what I do next time. The second and fourth services have a bit more stuff in them, though. The second has replacing the brake fluid and the fourth has replacing the battery coolant. Might be ill-adviced to skip those. I think I'll skip the small services, though.

Bosch announces emissions breakthrough that could save diesel

Claims nitrogen oxide drops to one-tenth of Europe's strict limits

Speaking at the company's annual news conference outside Stuttgart, CEO Volkmar Denner said the solution is available now and can be incorporated into production vehicles without adding significant cost.

"After this ecological rehabilitation, diesel can take off again. It is not combustion engines that are being made obsolete, but rather the debate about their imminent demise."

This is just NOx - no way to get around CO2 emissions with combustion engines though, which is the main problem in a global context.

When we get to 5k/wk, everyone hug a bear and don't let them get away.
BTW @Teslie is already spoken for:
View attachment 296718

Funny how folks opining ill supported nonsense, still describe their opinion as 'humble'.
Humble opinions to me will include some of the assumptions made and acknowledge there isn't enough known to be sure
what they suggest is true or not.

I find the shorting stuff and all the paid stooges in the press and elsewhere that come with it annoying, can anyone explain to me whats the value for the market or for society due to the practice of shortening? IMO it just incentivizes destructive behavior, if you bet so much money against a company you better make sure the thing falls apart.

The value to society is when you have truly duplicitous, disastrous, and otherwise bad companies valued too highly. An exceptional example might be Enron and their accounting leading up to when the company came unhinged. It's the profit incentive from spotting situations like that, that incentivizes investors to look for and expose those situations, that short selling enables.

Or at least, that's how I think about it, and how I make the case for the existence of the short mechanism in the market. It's the yin to buy and hold yang if you will.

It's part of the cleansing process in a capitalist economy, to find and expose the bad business models and badly executed businesses, and eliminate them from the economy.

What makes Tesla such an epic tug of war, is that to my eyes, we have a large group of people putting a lot of money into the proposition, that Tesla is a badly run business, with another very large group of people putting a lot of money into the proposition that Tesla is changing human civilization. I agree with the earlier comment that this might be the most epic tug of war between shorts and longs ever (so far) over a single company.

The significance of this study is to be able to negate FUD re: health effects of BEVs.

Some patients with cardiac rhythm problems have implanted devices to monitor and control heart rate. These devices are susceptible to interference from electromagnetic field variation (EMI). Changing electric current or voltage can cause EMI, and so with such electromagnetic induction in the normal functioning of a BEV, it was not unreasonable for cardiologists to want to confirm that these vehicles posed no risk to patients. Below is my summary/commentary. Any potential inaccuracies are mine.

Title: Implantable Cardiac Devices are Safely Shielded from Electric Automobiles

108 people with pacemakers and automatic defibrillators were studied in BEV’s to determine if the electromagnetic interference (EMI) from the flow of electricity in the vehicle would affect their implanted devices. Subjects were studied in all aspects of BEV use (rapid acceleration, regenerative braking, normal driving, charging, rapid charging). The EMI was strongest during rapid charging, but there was no evidence of interference with the subjects implanted cardiac devices. PHEVs were excluded from the patient evaluation because preliminary evaluation of PHEVs made it clear that flows of electricity, and therefore electromagnetic field variation, was too low in PHEVs to pose any risk. This was a European study; “the 4 most popular” BEVs were used (therefore I assume Tesla was in the mix). I don’t have access to more details.

Reference: Lennerz et al. Electric Cars and electromagnetic interference with cardiac implantable electronic devices: A cross-sectional evaluation. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2018 April 24.

Thanks.

This is of prime interest to me since I had an unexpected fainting spell just as I entered our garage two years ago. A pacemaker was installed four days later and the back of the garage was repaired shortly thereafter. As a further palliative against a repeat I am looking forward to an 82nd birthday present from myself, an M3, this September. (Courtesy TSLA appreciation, thanks Elon.) Not only have technological advances improved my immediate health and potential protection against accidental death, but if I live just a few years longer the quality of life in terms of mobility with autopilot and Tesla Internet will be improved as further infirmities take their toll. I can dream of the headlines, now: "86 year old man dies peacefully in his sleep in a Tesla M3 parked at a Safeway store disabled spot. He died, apparently of natural causes, but was found in a locked car sitting in the passenger's seat. Suicide was ruled out because there were no signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Police issued no parking violations."

A few years ago my wife and I encountered a lady in her eighties driving to the store happily unaware she was driving directly at us in the wrong lane. Since no other traffic was in sight it was easy to drive in the wrong lane around and away from her as she remained happily oblivious. I watched helplessly in the rear view mirror as she executed a terribly wrong left turn into a dedicated right turn exit from the divided highway we had just crossed. Have no idea the ultimate denouement; that was a problem for other motorists to settle.

Now, thinking about it, I could imagine human intervention before autopilot is legal and a nightmare for coders now. "Deranged 85-year old man committed suicide and killed motorist who was executing a normal right turn off a divided highway. Ever concerned, Elon twitted 'though his hands were on the wheel, the internal camera revealed his teeth were gritted as he overwhelmed with his maniacal strength the efforts of autopilot to protect the car and occupants.'" A corner example discussed in another thread? Still....

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm going to have to consider what I do next time. The second and fourth services have a bit more stuff in them, though. The second has replacing the brake fluid and the fourth has replacing the battery coolant. Might be ill-adviced to skip those. I think I'll skip the small services, though.

Replacing the brake fluid every two years seems obscene to me when EVs use the brakes a lot less. My last ICE car recommended changing the brake fluid every 7 years.*

I didn't realize the battery coolant needed changing this often.

There isn't an independent Tesla Autohaus in Oslo yet?

* Brakes are supplied by Brembo. Anybody can replace the brake fluid.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Status
Not open for further replies.