Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in reply to you, and same es majors post, exactly! and again, i wasn’t trying to spark a woman debate. if anything that’s just one tiny element of the overall negative media onslaught against tesla, no doubt fueled by shorts, fossil fuel policy $, union, etc. i mean they aren’t perfect, for sure. and there’s plenty of positive coverage too. but i’m tired of reading stuff that just isn’t even close, or blatantly false. it’s a joke. the problem is, there is a larger portion of the population that doesn’t have a clue about electric cars, solar, or energy storage in general, let alone tesla the company. they see this ‘news’ and are forever swayed by it. i talk to so many people who just spew flase claims at me and when i rebut with the facts and they are stunned. i don’t think musk handled the media lashing correctly, and he probaby agrees, but he probably did a better job than i ever would have.
but with all of this nonsense we have to sift through, when will the tipping point, or “crossing the chasm” (as simon sinek explains, which he coined from someone else, i forgot who) occur when we have the middle/larger portion of adopters of these resources? cars seem like they will be first. solar/storage combo still doesn’t have the ROI for most of the population, depending on where you live and what government constraints are imposed on you. in ct we need to pay $50 a month to stay grid connected. this may change, but hopefully i’m gone sooner ha. at least they offer the 3k tax credit for BEV under 60k...

Alas, do not concern yourself with those who currently know nothing about EVs, Tesla, or that most of the gobbleteegoo spewed by the media is FUD, wrong or a lie.

There are enough ‘enlightened’ people or ‘about to become enlightened’ people to carry us to the point where there will be dozens of EV choices and two ICE choices to purchase.

Somebodies in the ICE OEM world will be going down in a blaze of glory. The not enlightened people at that time will be foisted into reality.

Just do your thing and tell everyone you can what’s coming.

https://qz.com/1303760/job-openings...cluding-at-its-fremont-plant-for-the-model-3/
another dramatic headline, “ red flag for tesla” and picture of a burning tesla heap captioned with “up in smoke” yet the article has about 0 substance. some benign facts and blurbs about the possible reasons job postings are down. what robust reporting from quartz. jeezus.
how to combat that? these self righteous reporters think the world owes them a favor and that they know everything, so teaching and reasoning is out of the question.

and yes, i realize i am part of the problem by clicking, reading, copying and pasting it to get even more attention paid to it.
but maybe if enough people realize that these self important, yet totally scared and insecure, “reporters” and “journos” are really transparent, that may help sway the conversation back to the facts and off the sensationalism that the media spews.

Alas, do not concern yourself with those who currently know nothing about EVs, Tesla, or that most of the gobbleteegoo spewed by the media is FUD, wrong or a lie.

There are enough ‘enlightened’ people or ‘about to become enlightened’ people to carry us to the point where there will be dozens of EV choices and two ICE choices to purchase.

Somebodies in the ICE OEM world will be going down in a blaze of glory. The not enlightened people at that time will be foisted into reality.

oh i do

Agree, we shouldn't be discouraged that not every person we meet out in the world like Tesla. In fact most people don't want to buy a Tesla, and that doesn't matter.

Just to put things in perspective, US annual vehicle sales is ~150-200 million. AAA study shows that only 20% of Americans are interested in EV now (but growing). If only 1% of those 20% buy a Tesla, that's 300k-400k cars a year. If Tesla reaches that level of production by the end of 2018 I think most longs here will be celebrating.

Edit: my US sales # is probably off by ~10x, see replies down thread, so disregard everything, oops.

Last edited:
and yes, i realize i am part of the problem by clicking, reading, copying and pasting it to get even more attention paid to it.
but maybe if enough people realize that these self important, yet totally scared and insecure, “reporters” and “journos” are really transparent, that may help sway the conversation back to the facts and off the sensationalism that the media spews.

Quartz
3 of the 4 initial sponsors of quartz media
boeing, chevron, caddilac
sure, they have no bone to pick with elon
and the ‘reporter’ seems so proud of herself on twitter for that piece.

Agree, we shouldn't be discouraged that not every person we meet out in the world like Tesla. In fact most people don't want to buy a Tesla, and that doesn't matter.

Just to put things in perspective, US annual vehicle sales is ~150-200 million. AAA study shows that only 20% of Americans are interested in EV now (but growing). If only 1% of those 20% buy a Tesla, that's 300k-400k cars a year. If Tesla reaches that level of production by the end of 2018 I think most longs here will be celebrating.

i hear you. my frustration isn’t that people don’t like tesla or elon musk, and my motivation isn’t to change their mind.
but it’s being openly lied to, and misinformed by puppets, and that being somewhat uncontrollable that pisses me off. if people think EM is an egotistical putz, or tesla is bad investment, ok great. but don’t tell me that what they’re doing is a fraud and they’re taking govt money, and putting taxpayers in the lurch...etc etc. enough already.

Reactions: neroden
Just to put things in perspective, US annual vehicle sales is ~150-200 million.

New car sales US 17.2M last year and 42.7M used car sales.

Global new car sales between 87M-100M depending on how one counts certain commercial vehicles, 3 wheel vehicles, and covered golf car type cars. Don't know of an accurate global used car sales figures.

• Informative
Reactions: UrsS and Waiting4M3
No, per year.
The site says 17.56M in Apr 2018. Is it the past 12 months up to Apr? I don't think I'm understanding the site correctly.
Edit: nevermind, found the info I missed (below in red), and deleted a couple of my replies to reduce the clutter.

US Vehicle Sales Summary
  • Last Value: 17.56M
  • Latest Period: Apr 2018
  • Updated: May 31, 2018, 10:31 EDT
  • Next Release: Jun 29, 2018, 10:30 EDT
  • Frequency: Monthly
  • Adjustment: Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate

• Helpful
Lora koladny is trolling for hate again. She should have some angry x employee stories tomorrow. Ironically this guy was really upbeat, but I’m guessing she is looking for bad news again. View attachment 309260
I've spoken to some I know there and it's a really down week in the trenches. The feeling is that many are not "slackers" getting RIF'd; the smart and hardworking, getting pink slips too. It leaves a mark. I keep that perspective when I see my stock shares jump and believe that it's a necessary evil for Tesla to succeed. Luckily, it comes when overall economy is strong. Hope they all land on their feet.

I've spoken to some I know there and it's a really down week in the trenches. The feeling is that many are not "slackers" getting RIF'd; the smart and hardworking, getting pink slips too. It leaves a mark. I keep that perspective when I see my stock shares jump and believe that it's a necessary evil for Tesla to succeed. Luckily, it comes when overall economy is strong. Hope they all land on their feet.
indeed

Here you go.

Quote:

Special report: Experts are predicting continuing growth in cobalt demand despite Elon Musk’s comments last week about using less of the metal in his Tesla electric car batteries.

A day after Mr Musk’s comments, battery metal price analyst Benchmark Mineral Intelligence said it expected the use of cobalt in lithium-ion batteries to triple between now and 2026.

[...]

Benchmark predicts Tesla will not be able to further reduce the use of cobalt in its NCA technology.

“There is little room left for Tesla to manoeuvre and further reduce the cobalt in its cells.

“Any new technology that could usurp NCA or NCM is on a 10-year horizon [and] cobalt’s use in lithium-ion batteries is here to stay.”

[...]

Materials technology company Umicore believes cobalt could be tough to replace in batteries, with substitutes possibly leading to reduced performance.

“There isn’t a better element than nickel to increase energy density, and there isn’t a better element than cobalt to make the stuff stable,” says Umicore chief Marc Grynberg.

At least 10 per cent cobalt is needed in batteries for safety and longevity reasons.

Experts are amazing!
Amazing how rational people believe themselves to be, with no amount of evidence possible to open their eyes. The constant confusion of opinion and facts in this world amaze me. Too little humility in the face of rapid change. This guy really is a great proxy for shorts, who can’t alter their beliefs and are left with angry and increasingly opinionated outbursts.

Maybe guys named Marc/k just hate Elon?

Reactions: EinSV
Utility CEO: new renewables will be cheaper than existing coal plants by the early 2020s

Current share price is totally ignoring Tesla's opportunity to be a major player in energy (a pretty big market).

If Tesla delivers on the Model 3 ramp and profitability, and I think it will, there is a good chance that the market will finally wake up and take notice that the stationary battery business is an equally enormous opportunity, and Tesla is again the industry leader.

No one seems to remember that at the 2016 annual shareholder meeting Elon said that he thought in the long run Tesla's stationary battery business could generate similar revenue as the EV business. Tesla could triple the planned battery output of ‘Gigafactory 1’ to 150 GWh, says Elon Musk

And in this years shareholder meeting he confirmed storage margins are expected to be in the same range as EV margins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.