Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
.....In a private conversation after a lecture at the unnamed university, Kip Thorne said something like: "You could express mathematically our universe as only three dimensions, but the math gets much more complicated." I didn't ask if he had tried it; obviously I haven't. I trust him............
whoah nellie!!! Kip Thorne!! dude. i'm seriously impressed.... hob nobbing with the greats!!
back to lurk

Yes. Basically all decreases in entropy on the Earth are matched and exceeded by increased entropy in the Sun. Life depends on sunlight. As its entropy increases, the sun will, in a few bililon years, destroy the Earth. But that's OK, we'll go extinct long before that.

There are examples of life on Earth where there is too little light to support it, near and around deep sea fissures, for example. In addition to other conditions what you need is some kind of heat exchange which requires a source and a sink. Neroden is spot on, though, we do need suns for most if not all those "other conditions" provided by the death of sons, er, suns. (Sorry for the slip. My early religious training.)

Another conversation with a U.C. Davis physicist whose name I can't remember. (He works at CERN on Higgs-like stuff.) I suggested we owed this all to the effect of gravity, He said no, it was the strong or the weak nuclear forces, I forget which. (Neroden, the polymath, would know.) I still think I'm right and perhaps Aristotle has the answer when he talks about the various meanings of causes, but I've forgotten them too. (@Paracelsus would know.) Our conversation didn't go further, I was too impressed. He probably would have elaborated, "gravity only provides the boundary conditions."

We'd better stop this before GGR shifts gears and becomes a prime mover who moves himself with almost no energy, but increasing entropy I'm sure.

Apparently CNBC has information that doesn't appear to have been made public about the sabotage: Tesla's alleged rogue employee is exactly what Congress is worried about with self-driving cars
You know who also poses a safety risk to all cars, self-driving or not? The people who install brake lines at the factory. Also, the people who code up ABS controllers. Oh, and also the people who design the steering interlocks on legacy cars that still have them...

I also find it strange the article states "If Tesla can't weed out a malicious insider, who can?" right after Tesla weeded out a malicious insider.

Tesla sues ex-employee for hacking and theft. But he says he's a whistleblower

But that ex-employee is fighting back, saying he's being targeted by Tesla for trying to bring problems at the company to light.

"I am being singled out for being a whistleblower. I didn't hack into system. The data I was collecting was so severe, I had to go to the media," said Martin Tripp, the defendant in Tesla's suit, told CNNMoney soon after the suit was filed.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Tripp is now claiming to be a whistleblower.

He worked in the GF but knows that 2020 produced in last week of Q1 was not true and it was in fact closer to 1900 and that faulty modules were placed in cars and that the things he confessed to are not true (like hacking the software). And within minutes he's become a hero to all the shorts on Twitter. I don't think installing software on colleagues' devices is something a whistleblower would do.

If Tesla knowingly sold cars with damaged parts, why did he leak to Business Insider and not NHTSA or something that can actually do something?

But that ex-employee is fighting back, saying he's being targeted by Tesla for trying to bring problems at the company to light.

"I am being singled out for being a whistleblower. I didn't hack into system. The data I was collecting was so severe, I had to go to the media," said Martin Tripp, the defendant in Tesla's suit, told CNNMoney soon after the suit was filed.

This is all very strange. I would expect if the guy had a lawyer at all, he'd be keeping his mouth shut at this point. The fact that he says what he says either means he simply is blinded by bitterness of not getting a position he wanted and truly is an isolated nut case, or that there's a much more calculated thing going on.

We only had the A bomb to ourselves for a few years before it was passed to the soviets. A small but persistent percentage of humans will sell out for ideology, vanity, greed power etc. It is disheartening.
The declassified Soviet files show that they developed their A bomb on their own. The declassified US files show that they were right to fear a US unprovoked first strike nuclear attack, so they had good reason to. :sigh:

Those who attempted to give US nuclear secrets to the Russians (things Russia already knew) were, in some cases, motivated by fear of an out-of-control US government -- essentially noble motives.

Until the 1960s, nobody in power in any world government seemed to understand the dangers of radioactive fallout -- they just thought of nuclear weapons as large bombs. We know this from the declassified documents. They should have known better, because the Radium Girls cases are from the 1920s and were front-page in the NYT and Marie Curie was killed by radiation, but they never consulted the biologists and didn't remember the NYT headlines. I guess.

Only when the evidence of radioactive isotopes in children's baby teeth was brought to the attention of JFK and Khrushchev did world leaders start to understand the true nature of the horror they had created, leading to the Partial Test Ban Treaty. Even then, deranged factions in both militaries tried to blow up as many nukes in the atmosphere as possible before the treaty went into effect, poisoning a generation of children even more,

I'm not sure what the conclusion of this is.

Last edited:
Tripp is now claiming to be a whistleblower.

He worked in the GF but knows that 2020 produced in last week of Q1 was not true and it was in fact closer to 1900 and that faulty modules were placed in cars and that the things he confessed to are not true (like hacking the software). And within minutes he's become a hero to all the shorts on Twitter. I don't think installing software on colleagues' devices is something a whistleblower would do.

If Tesla knowingly sold cars with damaged parts, why did he leak to Business Insider and not NHTSA or something that can actually do something?

Correctly if I’m wrong here but isn’t installing a hacking device, regardless of purpose, a federal crime?

https://www.quora.com/Is-hacking-a-crime-in-the-US
Any attorneys want to chime in?

I hope Tesla recorded the interview with him when he admitted wrong doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.