Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Its very normal to have this what you call "unsafe environment" when building up a new line. Given the time they had to do it quite an accomplishment. Cudos to the team!

I would not be surprised if Elon is somewhere down there screwing bolts in the line somewhere. True start up feeling!

Just replied to our Video friend at Twitter asking him about how come his video shows line in construction and todays video finished cars leaving building. I guess his next step will be to block me.....
Looks to me like the image of the car coming off is from the other side of the tent. Look at the wall to the right. There is no wall to the right on the bear video snapshot.
Tent.png

I used that term, because the SR version keeps being pushed back even after the issues are fixed....and that's the whole point of this car, it's the "cheaper" model. It's been said a thousand times since 2016, yet right now it starts at 49k and goes to 64k.

Elon and the company have stated that they need to get to 5k/w to be profitable. They are basically there.

Now to your second half, which I didn't mean to ignore and have stated the last time the SR version was pushed back:

As long as they are profitable (which I want them to be and survive), which is supposedly at 5k/w, then I don't understand why they can't start on the SR version and mix it in starting with people like me who are early on the reservation list.

I'm doing this for my daughter, her children's future, and for humanity's sake, but it's extremely hard to watch some people on here or others not on here buy the M3 P version because they want to go 1 second faster while I'm still driving my ICE around polluting the Earth.

Just a little balance after the 5k/w achievement would be nice.

You seem to be sticking by your use of those words to characterize the fact that the SR version isn't currently available.

The idea of "vaporware" came about when software vendors would (pre)announce software or features the often never intended of building or delivering in order to freeze out competitors in the marketplace. Do you think that's what Tesla is doing here?

"Moving the goalposts" implies pretending the previous endgame wasn't there and instead suggesting some different outcome was/is the intent. Have you not seen Elon's acknowledgement of the ramp challenges?

You seem to think they are now profitable. They haven't sold those cars at a rate of 5K/wk yet. and it will likely take some amount of those sales to reach that profitability. They very first P AWD model rolled off a line barely assembled practically a moment ago, and you are acting like everything's humming along and there should be no lag in introducing yet another configuration.

Yes your ICE is polluting the earth, but so is that guy's M3 who's trading it for a P. And balance is nice, but not everything is achievable immediately.

When the X came out Tesla managed to sell something like a couple hundred of them over the next few months, and then prioritized based on the higher end versions they had ready, if I recall. The folks who bought Model S's early had to wait until after a bug chink of 85's were delivered, and if you were one of the 11 poor souls who actually took delivery of a 40, who knows how long they have to wait.

And here Tesla has some of the most intense financial adversarial activity going on, and they should decide to forego the margin they can make? Heck, for all we know, mixing in significant SR production might negate reaching profitability at this point.

You seem to feel you shouldn't have to wait for whatever reason, and throw terms around that unfairly characterize the situation, IMO.

You seem to be sticking by your use of those words to characterize the fact that the SR version isn't currently available.

The idea of "vaporware" came about when software vendors would (pre)announce software or features the often never intended of building or delivering in order to freeze out competitors in the marketplace. Do you think that's what Tesla is doing here?

"Moving the goalposts" implies pretending the previous endgame wasn't there and instead suggesting some different outcome was/is the intent. Have you not seen Elon's acknowledgement of the ramp challenges?

You seem to think they are now profitable. They haven't sold those cars at a rate of 5K/wk yet. and it will likely take some amount of those sales to reach that profitability. They very first P AWD model rolled off a line barely assembled practically a moment ago, and you are acting like everything's humming along and there should be no lag in introducing yet another configuration.

Yes your ICE is polluting the earth, but so is that guy's M3 who's trading it for a P. And balance is nice, but not everything is achievable immediately.

When the X came out Tesla managed to sell something like a couple hundred of them over the next few months, and then prioritized based on the higher end versions they had ready, if I recall. The folks who bought Model S's early had to wait until after a bug chink of 85's were delivered, and if you were one of the 11 poor souls who actually took delivery of a 40, who knows how long they have to wait.

And here Tesla has some of the most intense financial adversarial activity going on, and they should decide to forego the margin they can make? Heck, for all we know, mixing in significant SR production might negate reaching profitability at this point.

You seem to feel you shouldn't have to wait for whatever reason, and throw terms around that unfairly characterize the situation, IMO.

I know what those terms mean :) I'm using them loosely here......and I know about the company's history, been here since 2012.

But that's the thing, I've been waiting for over two years now (I know I know, just like everyone else). My online config opened in April, April! That's how far up the list I am, but couldn't afford the "first version". Now it's AWD and P. So, again, when is the SR version coming? ;) Oh, right, 6-9 months. Cool, so if that's their estimate and I don't get it until March, then that's three years of waiting. I've done plenty of that.

This car is/was supposed to be the "no thrills" version. You want thrills? Buy an S or X.

But we will go back and forth all day and night over this. :)

I know what those terms mean :) I'm using them loosely here......and I know about the company's history, been here since 2012.

But that's the thing, I've been waiting for over two years now (I know I know, just like everyone else). My online config opened in April, April! That's how far up the list I am, but couldn't afford the "first version". Now it's AWD and P. So, again, when is the SR version coming? ;) Oh, right, 6-9 months. Cool, so if that's their estimate and I don't get it until March, then that's three years of waiting. I've done plenty of that.

This car is/was supposed to be the "no thrills" version. You want thrills? Buy an S or X.

But we will go back and forth all day and night over this. :)

Why are you ignoring the suggestion to get a 2nd hand first production Model 3 at the end of this year?

I know it will happen, but when? Like I said, they keep moving the goal post for the timeline. They hit 5k/week for probability, now in the coming months they should mix in the SR version. The body is the same, it's just a different battery pack. Come on....anyway....maybe Santa will bring me a surprise, but until then, I'm still sitting here doing this.....
I thought the glass panorama roof was only on premium package, base model M3 to have solid metal roof. If so, there are structural changes to the car body required.

Sure, if someone is selling their used M3 for 35k I would gladly take that offer. Not sure people will sell it for that price though.....

Wait for end of year. I'll guess 40-45K. People will trade up to AWD or P. I saw it done for P90D to P100D. <yikes>

That 40K car will come with 10K worth of paint correction, ceramic coating and paint protection film with how much people are babying their cars. ;)

@ggies07
i really think theyre going to get to some of the 35k models before year end.
do you think there’s 120k Ps and AWDs, in the US?? i mean that’d be great!! but i dunno, it seems like a lot.

They already do 100,000 Model S and X.

The AWD Model 3 is significantly cheaper than any version of the S. I don't you should be providing hope for a 35K Model 3 when its very unlikely and also detrimental to Tesla's quest for profitability last two quarters of this year.

Reactions: wipster
I thought the glass panorama roof was only on premium package, base model M3 to have solid metal roof. If so, there are structural changes to the car body required.
Why change what is there? Engineers would have designed for the worst of the two roof options to commonize the frame, same as with left or right hand drive. They can weld or epoxy a metal roof section to the existing body.

@MXWing
yes, they do 100k S and X
maybe 120k M3 in july-dec (5k wk)
if they still go in order of reservation received, and exhaust the P and AWD in US, wouldn’t they be able to make the less exp models at that point. there’s no cap after the 200k is there? maybe it’s the unisom talking lol.

i’m not powerful enough to provide hope. just saying that i think EM genuinely cares about those who are waiting for all models of car, and i think he’ll do everything in his power to make some of them happy. yes he has to put profit first, especially now while tesla is vulnerable.

If the terms are net 60 days, then delivering the car at any point in that period is the same on the payables side, Tesla gets the money cash before they pay.
The earlier Tesla sells the cars, the more cash they have on hand (based on build rate and revenue:payment time differential).
However, if Tesla is production constrained such that they are not delaying any builds (no delayed receivables) , isn't it the case that they can carry inventory up to the full 60 day (or whatever) without impacting cash on hand (no change in payments)?
In other words, as long as they have less that 60 day minus (build plus delivery) time parts in the shelf they always recieve before they pay.
Only if inventory is on hand (raw or processed) for more than 60 days is there a reduction in cash on hand.
No financing on Tesla's side till 60 days past, up till then it is effectively financed by the supplier...
Or am I in the weeds?
Basically what I'm saying is that the initial buffer buildup is inherently a one-time delay in production; does that make sense? This is also why I said that the financing hit was insignificant; how much does a 10 day delay in production matter anyway?

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Does everyone understand that the price for a performance M3 is the same as a 2012 Model S 40? Where is the cheaper version? After 6 years it's still not here....and I'm the strongest of longs....just ****ing mix in SR with LR after hitting 5k a week, which is now.
I'm sorry but you'll have to wait for Tesla to show profit and positive cash flow from operations. If we didn't have all this short-seller FUD and disinformation and Tesla had ready access to cheap financing indefinitely, they might have started producing the cheaper version earlier; but it's become imperative that Tesla become totally self-financing ASAP, and especially after Musk decided to blow off the Wall Street prima donnas on the conference call. You'll get the short-range car in 2019 at the latest.

I'm a laughing stock at work (esp. from the CFO who is a ultra conservative and big oil guy....good job with the perception Tesla) and with family and friends....."when ya gonna get your car" and then they laugh. Man I'm so mad.

Oh, just be patient. Just tell them "Tesla's always late, but you're gonna be impressed when it shows up".

I had my reservation for several years, and the Model S was late, and I was getting ribbed about it during the delays, but *everyone* has been impressed since it actually showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.