Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, the ramp is not a problem solved primarily with capital. Rather, its a problem solved primarily with engineering. Tesla's capital efficiency will be determined by the quality of its engineering.

With Wall Street and Tesla, it's like two ships passing in the night.

I mostly agree. Tesla should, without significant additional spending, be able to squeeze a few thousand more M3s a week out of what they've got.

But they'll need some capital (not nearly as much as needed to get to 5K) to get up to and possibly beyond 10k.

Last edited:
I mostly agree. Tesla should, without significant additional spending, be able to squeeze a few thousand more M3s a week out of what they've got.

But they'll need some capital (not nearly as much as needed to get to 5K) to get beyond 10k.

Did u just change your avatar? You can’t do that on the fly. Against forum rules.

Why are we still discussing capital raises? Boring. Let’s go to You Tube.

I don't know how anybody outside of Tesla could have a good sense of how much much they will have to spend for 10K. Maybe even Musk doesn't know for sure. Let's put it this way. At the beginning of June, Musk didn't know what they had to do to get to 5K at the end of June.

Yup. Said a couple of earnings calls ago that after 5K they’ll assess various options re going from 5K to 10K... what parts of the plant can be reworked and at what cost and what timeline to get to 10K, vs. buying new equipment at higher cost and a quicker timeline.

fwiw, my recollection was that the implied timeline to 10K could vary by as much as 9 months depending what plan Tesla comes up with in their assessment to be made post ramping to 5K.

I’m pretty sure that’s also against forum rules.

false-i-make-the-rules.jpg

Linear ramps aren't how this works. As with the tent (which is presumably pumping out 1000/week), it's not as simple as "just get better."

Ultimately, the machines are built to operate at a certain rate, and so they'll need to buy more machines. According to their Q1 letter, they're still planning for just under 3B in CapEx for 2018. On the call, CFO said that the overwhelming majority of that spend was for the Model 3.

Some reports suggest that Tesla has been experimenting with how to make the machines go faster, operating them outside of their specifications.

Another smart move by Tesla was moving to 24/7 production; if machines are the bottleneck, this lets them have the machines always on (rather than buying another line to support 20/5 production).

The 6000/week seems very doable in the short-term by replacing manual tasks with machinery on GA3 or GA4.

But to hit 10k/week, I think they're going to need a GA5. It's hard to see how they hit 10k/week without that.

Two problems with this model:
  1. 24/7 production is more costly, especially if the reports of 12-hour shifts and having engineers, finance, HR folks working on the lines and doing manual labor. The factory workers are getting beefy overtime compensation, and the talent will get burnt out.
  2. It's harder to sustain production when you're constantly installing new machinery and new lines. The fact that they are trying to get more cars out of existing lines is worrying: if the lines are already profitable, wouldn't it be smarter to go get cheap debt financing to install more lines?

Assume much?

1) you ASSUME the current lines are running at max capability and any faster will be outside of design speed for the robots.

2) you ASSUME Tesla can't make a 35k model 3 at a profit now at 5k.

3) you ASSUME that Tesla is finished if they aren't doing 10k a week by end of Q4 and ASSUME they couldn't easily get financing.

You always come to conclusions by making up your own facts? Hope you have a sizeable short position based on this garbage.

Should I call for a vote next time? Perhaps open a poll? Or will two week’s notice suffice? I’m flexible like Gumby.

This is cute, and sometimes you are, but that isn't your essence. I loved the panther, too, but I think the last one best. Kind of a combo of the bookends but with style. Watch out, I'm a furry beast with panache.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Business Insider defends their reporter:

Alyson Shontell on Twitter

Musk already firing back:

The answer why she won't go on record:

Because she has no obligation to do so?

Here, watch: are you guys 100% certain that Elon Musk has legal US immigration status? Why won't he go on record and say he's legal status? Why won't he post his immigration documents?

If Elon doesn't reply, it means he must not be here legally.

... Or, he has no obligation to respond?

BINGO -Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.