Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that Tesla and Panasonic will part ways. However, one of the reasons that China carved out the foreign owned company exemption for Tesla could be that a Chinese battery manufacturer is going to provide the batteries. This would be a huge win for the Chinese government. They receive all of the vehicles that the GF can produce plus, if you believe the western propaganda, Tesla's battery IP for use in producing their other domestic BEVs.

Panasonic makes cell components and I think cells themselves in China now.

Tesla doesn't have to make the same battery chemistry in every country. They could make an obsolete chemistry for the Chinese market and make the latest in Europe and the US. Considering how piracy is so rampant in China, it would be smart for Tesla to do that.

Now the Chinese may have made a killer deal with Tesla expecting they would be able to rip off the latest chemistry.

Tesla doesn't have to make the same battery chemistry in every country. They could make an obsolete chemistry for the Chinese market and make the latest in Europe and the US. Considering how piracy is so rampant in China, it would be smart for Tesla to do that.

Now the Chinese may have made a killer deal with Tesla expecting they would be able to rip off the latest chemistry.

Western Companies don't use the most modern emission control technology in China. Generally, it is two generations behind.

There are no moats when you have a cyborg dragon.

I agree that this might be the time that Tesla diversifies away from Panasonic. Maybe their own cells with perbix and grohmann making the automation equipment. It could also be that Tesla has Jeff dahn breakthroughs coming for this factory, though I would assume they would use those in Nevada as well. Could be Samsung sweetened the deal. But, It's probably going to be Panasonic.

The point is that it kind of doesn't matter. Tesla's moat is not the cell chemistry, anyone can buy a model 3 and reverse engineer the cells and the pack. Tesla's moat is that they have the balls to do it all full boar and push the limits of automation. What can't be reverse engineered is the machine that makes the machine. It's not there yet but soon. The cell chemistry matters little and everyone will have it soon enough and Tesla doesn't care, they want more EVs. They also want to lead the EV revolution, which is what they are doing. Not because of cell chemistry but because they had the balls and will to make a gigafactory 4 years before they needed it so that it would be ready for Tesla to double production every 9 months.

There are no moats. Only cyborg dragons.

Cyborg dragons and balls

At the end of Q4 17 they announced a burst rate of 1000 but averaged only 800 for Q1, including the burst rate of 2100 in the final week. If you subtract the 2100 they averaged 689 in the 1st 11 weeks of Q1 below the 1000 burst rate.

Likewise they averaged 2100 in Q2 for the first 11 weeks while making 5k in the final week. Mid June, Musk wrote in an internal email that they achieved 3500/wk. That means they did 12000 in the last 3 weeks alone (3.5K+3.5K+5K) which gives us an average of only 1842 for the first 9 weeks of the quarter, lower than the 2100 burst rate.

Also if you read my current article i discovered VIN registrations predict total production by 45 days which generates an approximate average of 5K/wk no sooner than the month of august based on the recent VIN registration velocity.

The point being is that the sustained rate is not immediately achieved after the burst rate. Even in Musks latest interview with Bloomberg he says these are proof of concept burst rates achieved under extreme conditions which eventually become sustainable in the following weeks. There is also a direct quote in my last article , from Musk himself, that says a target burst rate of 6k/wk by end of quarter will move them closer to a sustained rate of 6K/wk a few months later.
TLDR: if you remove the times they produced a lot, they didn't produce a lot.

So you guys are saying this skabooshka guy is actually a short, or maybe he works for VW or some other European competitor, so what's the deal with these numbers? Can they be trusted?

https://i.redd.it/1nsmbydk4u911.jpg
He's crazy bearish, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily going to lie the way Montana Skeptic does. His data on car production seems pretty accurate.

We think skabooshka has a spy (or spy camera) in the factory leaking numbers off the whiteboard to him.

Detective work (which I think was deleted from this board because the detective might have been suggesting harassing skabooshka which is unacceptable) has linked skabooshka to Wolfsburg, which is the VW company town, so he probably has something to do with VW. He may be hostile to Tesla for this reason, but if he's spying on the competition, he would also have an interest in accurate data.

He's crazy bearish, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily going to lie the way Montana Skeptic does. His data on car production seems pretty accurate.

We think skabooshka has a spy (or spy camera) in the factory leaking numbers off the whiteboard to him.

Detective work (which I think was deleted from this board because the detective might have been suggesting harassing skabooshka which is unacceptable) has linked skabooshka to Wolfsburg, which is the VW company town, so he probably has something to do with VW. He may be hostile to Tesla for this reason, but if he's spying on the competition, he would also have an interest in accurate data.
Having interest in accurate data for himself does not equal sharing accurate data. Having said that, his chart makes sense and does line up with what the lady from the paint shop was tweeting.

Having interest in accurate data for himself does not equal sharing accurate data. Having said that, his chart makes sense and does line up with what the lady from the paint shop was tweeting.

The pessimistic side of me (yes, I do have one) thinks the data is accurate until it's not. Similar to a seller on e-bay who delivers the items until they don't....

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and Lessmog
ISTR that an epidemic of catastrophic computer mother board breakdowns a few decades ago was traced back to a shift in sourcing to less expensive electrolytic capacitors. It turned out they were so cheap because the IP had been pirated. But the stolen recipe sneakily made no mention of a vital compound that must be added to the formula, and the caps blew over a period of a year or so, destroying other components and killing the PC. Not sure if the board makers survived the massive returns and loss of trust.

ISTR also that Tesla's battery chemistry is explicitly not patented but kept as a well guarded trade secret. So I don't think they want it copied willy nilly. Maybe after the next iteration with Dahn formula the old one can be released?

/ spy vs spy

EDIT: Probably more than one maker got bitten, since this was a minor but ubiquitious part in all mother board brands and competition was knife sharp for low price.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and neroden
The pessimistic side of me (yes, I do have one) thinks the data is accurate until it's not. Similar to a seller on e-bay who delivers the items until they don't....
This makes a lot of sense. Can't have an effective "take the money and run" fraud unless you've built up a reputation first. Same would apply more so to an attempt to spread disinformation: it works better if you have a reputation to start with.

There are no moats when you have a cyborg dragon.
The point is that it kind of doesn't matter. Tesla's moat is not the cell chemistry, anyone can buy a model 3 and reverse engineer the cells and the pack. Tesla's moat is that they have the balls to do it all full boar and push the limits of automation. What can't be reverse engineered is the machine that makes the machine. It's not there yet but soon. The cell chemistry matters little and everyone will have it soon enough and Tesla doesn't care, they want more EVs. They also want to lead the EV revolution, which is what they are doing. Not because of cell chemistry but because they had the balls and will to make a gigafactory 4 years before they needed it so that it would be ready for Tesla to double production every 9 months.

There have been excellent posts on TMC laying out the many components of Tesla's 'moat' i.e. why they cannot be caught or passed by competitors with more resources but late to the party. It is the sum of the parts that determines how large the moat is and how long it will keep Tesla the worlds most advanced and effective EV manufacturer. Unlike a Wall, the individual components of Tesla's mote are not static but changing dynamically over time. Some gain while others diminish as what portion of the total moat they represent and the size and consequence of the total moat will increase or decrease as they do. Tesla has built its moat due to foresight, pace of innovation, willingness to take risks if payoff seems large. Even a cyborg dragon will not overcome a large moat unless it exceeds the leaders pace of innovation long enough to catch up and then overtake the leader.

It is certainly true that the single biggest component of Tesla's total moat is deciding to invest in the biggest and best battery manufacturing factory in the world with all that involves in advanced automation and innovations improving efficiency. It is not the total moat.
Elon, J.B., Jeff Dahl, etc. would not agree that cell performance doesn't matter. It's why they support Dahl's group. It's why they watch new developments like a hawk so they will not lose this qualitative portion of the moat. Improvements in cell performance are why a LR Model 3 has 320+ mile range, with good performance, and very low pack degradation over time and cycles. It's why Tesla can develop and deliver electric Semi trucks with up to 500 miles of range with fast recharge and long lifetimes when others cannot.

Last, JB, Dahl, etc. would not support your assertion that improvements in high performance cells can be as easily duplicated just by slicing up a few samples for analysis. If this was the case Samsung, LG and BYD etc. would be closer to parity with Tesla batteries than they are. I've spoken with cathode nanotech company staff and one point they emphasized is that cell chemistry changes effect every aspect of the cell performance characteristics and those matter to the end users of batteries.

The point of trade and all exchange of ideas is mutual benefit. Tesla May have a lot to gain by sharing some IP. Reducing cobalt use by the first and second largest battery producers will help contain costs for Tesla also. Tesla is fighting over 100 million annual car sales, only a million of which are EV now. Sharing data and getting access to improved manufacturing capabilities in China will help Tesla attack ICE sales faster, even if it helps CATL. China also may be ahead in some AI so having access to more resources may help the FSD. It’s a risk, but if you don’t believe in moats, speed is your weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.