Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The variance in the range of ownership by S&P 500 is due to using the float shares rather than all shares.

There's more info on the page about membership. One is that at least 50% of shares needs to be in the publics hands (not owned by management). The Tencent shares might get counted as ownership by another company, and therefore counted in with the management shares (I don't know either way about that).
No, Tencent is just another institutional shareholder, like Fidelity. There's no management overlap.

Reactions: neroden
Some information about a test drive in Germany with the I-Pace. They did a test drive and had a Jag representative on board. Charging at Inonity where a Porsche technician was present to help with issues they had. S followed on the same road.

Its all in German so here is the summary:

The I-Pace consumed 25% more energy than an X and 44,5% more than an S on the same track!

Charging at Inonity charger was about 20% below speed what Jag did promise. From 11% to 80% in 45 minutes (56 kWh). Jag said the car will do 80% in 40 minutes. In average 72 Kwh loading instead of expected 100 kwh.

Range about 281 km versus the promised 400km. German Autobahn with 130 km/h leads to a range of 232 - 270 km. Just to compare: a test with the 3 on a German Autobahn with 120 km/h is 450 km and 150 km/h speed has given a range of 315 km.

Thats a range difference of 169 km!

Considering the price tag I am not sure how this car I had high hope with can compete with Tesla.

I did strongly hope we have a first car in production that can play in the same field but after listening to this video from a very down to earth and conservative blogger I do have strong doubts.

Last edited:
Some information about a test drive in Germany with the I-Pace. They did a test drive and had a Jag representative on board. Charging at Inonity where a Porsche technician was present to help with issues they had. S followed on the same road.

The I-Pace consumed 25% more energy than an X and 44,5% more than an S on the same track!

Charging at Inonity charger was about 20% below speed what Jag did promise. From 11% to 80% in 45 minutes (56 kWh). Jag said the car will do 80% in 40 minutes. In average 72 Kwh loading instead of expected 100 kwh.

Range about 281 km versus the promised 400km. German Autobahn with 130 km/h leads to a range of 232 - 270 km. Just to compare: a test with the 3 on a German Autobahn with 150 km/h speed has given a range of 315 km.

Considering the price tag I am not sure how this car I had high hope with can compete with Tesla.

I did strongly hope we have a first car in production that can play in the same field but after listening to this video from a very down to earth and conservative blogger I do have strong doubts.

Thank you for the review!

Remember: the I-Pace doesn’t have to be better than a Tesla to be successful, it just has to be better than most cars. And since most cars have internal combustion engines, lagging acceleration, and emissions, it should be easy for the I-Pace to be better than them.

Thank you for the review!

Remember: the I-Pace doesn’t have to be better than a Tesla to be successful, it just has to be better than most cars. And since most cars have internal combustion engines, lagging acceleration, and emissions, it should be easy for the I-Pace to be better than them.

True but if you are willing to put € 80k down for a car you will compare what you get.

We talk here about a range difference of about 170 km on an Autobahn for a car (3) that is lower in price. Still there will be buyers who like the interior better but thats hard to justify....

Reactions: bhzmark and EinSV
True but if you are willing to put € 80k down for a car you will compare what you get.

We talk here about a range difference of about 170 km on an Autobahn for a car (3) that is lower in price. Still there will be buyers who like the interior better but thats hard to justify....

I’m not denying that Tesla (whether S, 3, or X) is a much better car, and will sell far more. But there are lots of people who are intrigued by EVs, and some of them are biased against innovative startups, or only buy European cars (even though Jaguar is actually an Indian company), or love knobs & buttons, or fear touchscreens, etc. They can buy the I-Pace and have a great EV.

And then, by the next time they buy a car, hopefully they realize that Teslas are, in fact, much better.

Wow, doing some quick math on the data from the video:

i-Pace
- 29kWh per 100km (this is 2.1 miles per kWh!)
- charge rate is 72 kW or 248km per hour (this is 155miles per hour)
-> 30 min charging gives you 124km (77.5 miles)
-> one hour slow highway driving, 30 min charging

TM3:
- 16kWh per 100km (this is 3.9 miles per kWh!)
- charge rate is 110 kW or 687km per hour (this is 429miles per hour)
-> 30 min charging gives you 343,5km (214.5 miles)
-> 2.5 hours normal highway driving, 30 min charging

->almost 3 times faster charging on a miles basis! (2.78 to be precise).

This is just another i3.

i-Pace

TM3:

This is just another i3.

But reporters are saying the ipace is a much better car. Oh wait, reporters get paid by the ads received from Jaguar...

Thanks! Sorry I didn’t understand entirely what you were saying the first time and got sidetracked to something else so I forgot to ask more info.
So basically we don’t have exact data about how much (partial or full)S&P500 trackers there are, hence the wide range of percentages. I’m also a bit suprised that the effect could be felt over a few months, instead of all at once in one day. Still, the optimistic case of 10% would be 2 tencents, which would certainly be very noticable.
What kind of passive fund would already own TSLA? That would be funds that track other indexes where Tesla is already part of, wouldn’t that be small compared to S&P500 tracking funds?
EDIT: I had to look up 'closet indexing', never heard of that term before. Some time ago I thought it would be easier to buy some fund rather than picking my own stocks. My banker advised me some funds, and when I looked at the fund details, I was suprised about how much were just collections of other funds, but with a big management fee. Needless to say, I dropped the idea of buying those funds.
But in the stock market wise money thinks were the puck is going so probably many are already calculating Tesla’s additioning to S&P and are now buying it because of it. If there would not be funds forerunning additioning and removing companies from indexes, it would be really easy to make money with this.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and NicoV

Range about 281 km versus the promised 400km. German Autobahn with 130 km/h leads to a range of 232 - 270 km. Just to compare: a test with the 3 on a German Autobahn with 120 km/h is 450 km and 150 km/h speed has given a range of 315 km.

Here’s real world comparisons of recently made test that drove all these cars simultaneously.

“ka” is mean of two tests and WLTP range is the new test that surpasses NEDC

D41DD9E9-80AB-438F-A993-7B16D0B5185F.png

Last edited:

Well, as somebody argued with me here a bit back, range is not as important as having a traditional dash. So maybe that's the market?

All jabs aside, I do hope for compelling EVs from traditional manufacturers that generate enough interest from customers that it encourages further development. Hopefully the range issues don't hamstring sales too much, as there is no doubt a market segment that would prefer something from a company like Jaguar.

I hope they sell all they can make... and that they genuinely put effort behind promoting the car and manufacturing a meaningful number.

Reactions: neroden and Nathan

i-Pace

TM3:

This is just another i3.

Jaguar ad campaign: Spiritedly drive for TWICE as long as you spend charging. Only in a Jaguar!

RT

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and adaptabl
I think Tesla procures most of the raw materials and supplies them to Panasonic. Essentially Panasonic is just a contract manufacturer using Tesla formulation and supplies.

"Two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters that some of the cobalt that Panasonic uses to make Tesla's batteries is mined in Cuba by Sherritt International. Panasonic, however, was unable to tell how much of the cobalt sourced from Cuba ended up in its batteries sold in the U.S. market "due to co-mingling of sources by its suppliers in several phases of manufacturing processes."

Exclusive: Tesla's battery maker suspends cobalt supplier amid...

"Two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters that some of the cobalt that Panasonic uses to make Tesla's batteries is mined in Cuba by Sherritt International. Panasonic, however, was unable to tell how much of the cobalt sourced from Cuba ended up in its batteries sold in the U.S. market "due to co-mingling of sources by its suppliers in several phases of manufacturing processes."

Exclusive: Tesla's battery maker suspends cobalt supplier amid...

I was referring to the 2170 cells made at the Gigafactory, not the 18650 cells that Panasonic makes in Japan.

I was referring to the 2170 cells made at the Gigafactory, not the 18650 cells that Panasonic makes in Japan.

Panasonic sources all materials for all cells sold to Tesla under contracts that are essentially cost plus a mark-up. The agreements have been attached to TSLA's SEC filings but are heavily redacted. It is likely there is a similar arrangement at Riverbend. It's possible the supplier in today's news (which apparently has been supplying parts since 2016) is Panasonic/PENA.

@Yggdrasill do you have any info/insights on why July deliveries are so low in Norway?
http://teslastats.no/
As of now we are at 51 deliveries, against 160 in July 2017.
Statistical fluctuation or there is more to it?
I would blame it on generally higher deliveries thus far in 2018, so no big overflow to speak of. Very bad situation with service centres in Bergen and Oslo area. And finally that July is generally dead for most businesses in Norway unless there’s a big overflow from May.

Cobos

Status
Not open for further replies.