Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not denying that Tesla (whether S, 3, or X) is a much better car, and will sell far more. But there are lots of people who are intrigued by EVs, and some of them are biased against innovative startups, or only buy European cars (even though Jaguar is actually an Indian company), or love knobs & buttons, or fear touchscreens, etc. They can buy the I-Pace and have a great EV.

And then, by the next time they buy a car, hopefully they realize that Teslas are, in fact, much better.

Nah.
Within ten years "Tesla" will be the "Kleenex" or "Coke" of the EV world...
"Hey I'm getting a tesla..."
"Which one??!?"
"The Jaguar one. Couldn't resist the rebates. How's your Ioniq tesla doing?""

What kind of passive fund would already own TSLA? That would be funds that track other indexes where Tesla is already part of, wouldn’t that be small compared to S&P500 tracking funds?

From the Morningstar list of the largest funds which own TSLA:

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
Vanguard Extended Market Index
Powershares QQQ (Based on NASDAQ 100 index)
Vanguard International Growth
Vanguard Growth Index
Fidelity Spartan Extended Market Index

All Vanguard funds are index funds. That's six of the top 20 funds holding TSLA which are index funds.

Together they own about 9.3 million shares.

But in the stock market wise money thinks were the puck is going so probably many are already calculating Tesla’s additioning to S&P and are now buying it because of it. If there would not be funds forerunning additioning and removing companies from indexes, it would be really easy to make money with this.

Here's a piece from 2015 about trading ahead of index additions:

Can You Really Game Index Funds?

(It's Matt Levine, who is always a good read. At Bloomberg.)

Statement from Tesla

Attachments

• IMG_20180723_201817.jpg
    IMG_20180723_201817.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 81
So it's exactly what all the people with manufacturing experience said it was, and the WSJ article was hit-piece disinformation.

Sigh.
yes. not only that, there’s an abundance of searchable material regarding supp chain negotiation - i posted a decent one form HBR on the WSJ thread, but given it’s importance i’ll post here as well
How to Negotiate with Powerful Suppliers

point being wsj could’ve posted the story objectively. they chose not to. they chose to spin it. they chose to engage in manipulation and misinformation.

I've learned to always assume it's a hit piece twisting of the facts garbage until soundly proven otherwise.
Many years ago, my thought processes evolved to where the first thing I do upon reading or hearing something from the media is to try to figure out how something could be getting twisted to say something 180 degrees off of the real truth. And more specifically, how they could do that without actually saying something that but they couldn't weasel their way out of later (i.e., politician speak). Nowadays, they don't even seem to bother with plausible deniability.

I'm glad to be able to go to TMC to keep up on my TSLA news, not sure where else you can go without hitting a real agenda. Totay's CNN Money page has 5 Anti-Tesla/Anti-Musk articles all at once, fortunately, no need to click on any of them:
1. "Tesla's real problem is it's scramble for cash"
2. "Tesla's CEO tweets, stock tumbles"
3. "Is this the real Elon Musk"
4. "24% of Tesla Model 3 orders have been cancelled, analyst says"
5. "Musk's tweets distract from his mission, says tech analyst"

At the rate of growth this week in FUD articles on CNN, Elon will catch up to Trump by the end of the month.

Whenever we have a day like today, filled with so much negativity, I try to reflect on just how far ahead the actual product is. Today's my first day back after a couple of major road trips this month, both in my Model 3, both entirely un-possible in any other EV. Reflections here.

All this noise over supplier renegotiation, etc is just so far beside the point as to be laughably irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.