Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: Chevy Bolt Sales Up 19.6% YTD: GM Confirms 200k In Q4

Since GM doesn't own their dealers they can't perfectly control when they cross the 200k threshold.

But passing it in Dec is just stupid, as looks likely.

They can cut back allocation to US and eliminate all incentives. Like cash back and subsidized leasing.

Been seeing reports of James Murdoch being the lead candidate for chairman, and am concerned enough to want to float an alternate candidate: Christine Todd Whitman (as suggested in the comments section of: Tesla’s next Chairman needs to be all-in with the mission, here are the names being floated )

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
Replying to @FinancialTimes
This is incorrect

4:20 PM - 10 Oct 2018

4:20PM AEST h/t to Aussies there? Senior Murdoch is ex-Aussie :)

UPDATE: Chevy Bolt Sales Up 19.6% YTD: GM Confirms 200k In Q4

Since GM doesn't own their dealers they can't perfectly control when they cross the 200k threshold.

But passing it in Dec is just stupid, as looks likely.

They can cut back allocation to US and eliminate all incentives. Like cash back and subsidized leasing.

Since, yet again, there's legislative threat to the tax credit, and since they can't increase production that much anyway, they may be better off getting the sales in 2018Q4.

DpO9WuFV4AAzAgx.jpg:large

Ford may be about to blow up in "three months maybe, six months definitely," assuming Tesla introduces Pickup with or shortly after Model Y.

Even without Tesla, Ford is highly exposed to rising gasoline prices and interest rates, due to its F-Series and highly levered balance sheet.

ValueAnalyst on Twitter

Ford may be about to blow up in "three months maybe, six months definitely," assuming Tesla introduces Pickup with or shortly after Model Y.

Even without Tesla, Ford is highly exposed to rising gasoline prices and interest rates, due to its F-Series and highly levered balance sheet.

ValueAnalyst on Twitter

Yeah, I looked up Ford recently and saw this exact chart and thought:

Why is everyone focused on TESLA?

FORD is going down!!!

Reactions: ValueAnalyst

ValueAnalyst on Twitter

I would love to see Tesla & Ford partner with a pick up truck before Tesla comes out with one as I was a Ford F-150 kind of guy before I got my MS. I think Bill Ford is somewhat of an environmentalist and a partnership like that along with access to the SuperCharger network is really something that would jumpstart Ford’s stock.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
“Tesla Is Having Difficulties Paying Their Bills”: Is Wall Street Ready to Punish Elon Musk?

I thought most of the debt was in the hands of Elon and friends and the plan is to have enough cash from sales going foreward to cover this debt. Other than reiterating Quadir’s concerns is there any meat to this piece?
I would recommend checking out the thread by @luvb2b. It's got a great amount of info, estimates, and discussion about all of this. Comparing Tesla with Valeant is just nuts, obviously done, like Enron, for the hysteria of the association. They are a pharmaceutical company, which normally succeeds by continually creating innovative products (drugs.) Valeant decided to focus on growing the stock by no longer innovating on drugs and instead set out on a strategy to demonstrate revenue growth by buying up smaller companies with good products. This showed revenue growth that wasn't actually being created by Valeant. The finances looked good until they could no longer continue the feverish pace of M&A, then they looked awful. As soon as the buying of companies stopped, the revenue growth ground to a halt and their bubble burst. The only way they could avoid that day of reckoning was by continuing to buy up other companies, which they obviously couldn't do indefinitely.

How an even modestly intelligent person could use Valeant and Tesla in the same conversation, or Enron for that matter, just makes no sense other than trying to associate those deceptive and failed companies with Tesla. Tesla is innovating at a feverish pace, creating massively desirable products that they cannot produce enough of. They are running finances at the bleeding edge to try to grow as fast as possible without crashing. The model 3 ramp required a huge amount of resources and it did not go according to plan. This has caused liquidity to become very tight. The solution has already occurred - get to a reasonably high level of production with the model 3, where there is positive cash flow. They were also very smart in negotiating a delay in payments to suppliers to allow positive cash flow to start building liquidity. That was a critical move to get through this very phase. In fact, without that particular move, they almost certainly would have had to raise funds over the next 6 months. I think bears/shorts see that move as somehow deceptive and count it as debt that is looming that Tesla will be unable to pay, rather than recognizing that it is a dynamic situation that Tesla can adjust as liquidity improves. It's a temporary measure to get through this liquidity crunch caused by the slow model 3 ramp. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Valeant situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.