Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only now got up to speed with the judge requiring a joint-letter from SEC and Elon providing some support for their settlement.

As a Belgian - civil law - lawyer, I am once again stunned by the power of the U.S. - common law - judges. Basically they can play God in a private (i.e. "horizontal") dispute between two parties (in this case SEC and Elon). Leaves the gates open to corruption if you ask me.

In Europe (excluding the UK of course) a judge can only do so in criminal cases (what we call a "vertical" dispute between government/state and individual), as only here the interests of all citizens are in play.

Curious to see how this will play out short-term.

As a Belgian - civil law - lawyer, I am once again stunned by the power of the U.S. - common law - judges. Basically they can play God in a private (i.e. "horizontal") dispute between two parties (in this case SEC and Elon). Leaves the gates open to corruption if you ask me.

In Europe (excluding the UK of course) a judge can only do so in criminal cases (what we call a "vertical" dispute between government/state and individual), as only here the interests of all citizens are in play.

That was brought about because the SEC filed a lawsuit and asked the court to get involved.

For example SEC and Tesla settled without a lawsuit filed so there wouldn't be a judge involved.

• Love
Reactions: WarpedOne and mongo
That was brought about because the SEC filed a lawsuit and asked the court to get involved.

For example SEC and Tesla settled without a lawsuit filed so there wouldn't be a judge involved.
I understand why there is a judge overseeing things, but I'm just comparing it to civil law, where a judge has no power anymore the moment both parties agree to settle. In my mind that is the logical approach since - in this case for example - the SEC only wanted a judge to get involved before the settlement. After settling you waiver your rights in seeking the judges insight on the matter, imo.

Anywho, I won't change US law evidently, but just wanted to point out there are other ways in the world. (And that the systems of the "Land of the free" are sometimes not aimed at providing liberty to its citizens...)

I understand why there is a judge overseeing things, but I'm just comparing it to civil law, where a judge has no power anymore the moment both parties agree to settle. In my mind that is the logical approach since - in this case for example - the SEC only wanted a judge to get involved before the settlement. After settling you waiver your rights in seeking the judges insight on the matter, imo.

Anywho, I won't change US law evidently, but just wanted to point out there are other ways in the world. (And that the systems of the "Land of the free" are sometimes not aimed at providing liberty to its citizens...)

Once the court case (a civil one in this case (based on US civil vs criminal)) is filed, the courts decide the course of events (continue, dismiss, settle). The new settlement is a proposal submitted to the courts for approval. Elon is not seeking the judge's input, the judge is maintaining purview.

The existence of a settlement does not imply the existence of justice, and so keeping the judge in play can protect freedom.

Once the court case (a civil one in this case (based on US civil vs criminal)) is filed, the courts decide the course of events (continue, dismiss, settle). The new settlement is a proposal submitted to the courts for approval. Elon is not seeking the judge's input, the judge is maintaining purview.

The existence of a settlement does not imply the existence of justice, and so keeping the judge in play can protect freedom.

Of course not a lawyer but if I remember upthread post correctly, the review is routine for this judge. My take, not to panic or assume the whole issue can be re-examined.

Reactions: mongo
Well, I'm all-in. My hypothesis has always been: if Tesla fails, then we're screwed anyways. So, might as well put the money in the most important place possible.

Major Climate Report Describes a Strong Risk of Crisis as Early as 2040

Why Half a Degree of Global Warming Is a Big Deal

Also, highly recommend the shorts and weak longs watch:

Before the Flood

Encounters at the End of the World

I guess some people get immune to all the dire straights predictions. At some point, you simply don't believe them any more.

"We're gonna run out of oil."

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
I guess some people get immune to all the dire straights predictions. At some point, you simply don't believe them any more.

"We're gonna run out of oil."

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

If you want the earth cool, you got to run, on electron fuel

---poetry filter engaged---

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm finally all in. Last week I fully funded by tax free savings and did so entirely on Tesla shares. So you could blame me if you want for the subsequent plummet in the SP. Not bothered though since my time frame is up to around ten years (unless they do really well and I can splash out on another Tesla! Presently trashing a two year old S90D). So I did intend to just dip my toe in with 40ish shares; I only landed 38 with this first dabble) but as the price decreased I bought another 48, and finally, with the further price decrease a final 5 to mop up the dregs of the tax free allowance (£20K here in the UK). Because I am in the UK I'm also nicely hedging against a sterling collapse. Knowing me I'll be really concerned about the SP for the next few weeks and slowly lose interest and maybe just check on it when something happens. Of course, if the price doesn't shift before April next year I'll be in for another £20K, yay!

Basically, I'm going against good advice (single company share rather than fund) but following the good advice on here, to only invest what you can afford to lose, so if the price collapses there won't be any cries from me saying I've lost my life savings (sob).

Hi everyone, I'm finally all in. Last week I fully funded by tax free savings and did so entirely on Tesla shares. So you could blame me if you want for the subsequent plummet in the SP. Not bothered though since my time frame is up to around ten years (unless they do really well and I can splash out on another Tesla! Presently trashing a two year old S90D). So I did intend to just dip my toe in with 40ish shares; I only landed 38 with this first dabble) but as the price decreased I bought another 48, and finally, with the further price decrease a final 5 to mop up the dregs of the tax free allowance (£20K here in the UK). Because I am in the UK I'm also nicely hedging against a sterling collapse. Knowing me I'll be really concerned about the SP for the next few weeks and slowly lose interest and maybe just check on it when something happens. Of course, if the price doesn't shift before April next year I'll be in for another £20K, yay!

Basically, I'm going against good advice (single company share rather than fund) but following the good advice on here, to only invest what you can afford to lose, so if the price collapses there won't be any cries from me saying I've lost my life savings (sob).
Which ISA did you use? I'm looking around at the moment.

Been seeing reports of James Murdoch being the lead candidate for chairman, and am concerned enough to want to float an alternate candidate: Christine Todd Whitman (as suggested in the comments section of: Tesla’s next Chairman needs to be all-in with the mission, here are the names being floated )
She wrote: Christine Todd Whitman: Oil industry is 'peddling misinformation' about electric vehicles

As a shareholder, I know we get a say in who gets voted into the board of directors, but do we get a say in who gets elected chairperson?

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Been seeing reports of James Murdoch being the lead candidate for chairman, and am concerned enough to want to float an alternate candidate: Christine Todd Whitman (as suggested in the comments section of: Tesla’s next Chairman needs to be all-in with the mission, here are the names being floated )
She wrote: Christine Todd Whitman: Oil industry is 'peddling misinformation' about electric vehicles

As a shareholder, I know we get a say in who gets voted into the board of directors, but do we get a say in who gets elected chairperson?

We get a "say". But even if Elon was on our side, I doubt us small time TMC posting retail investors can swing the vote against the rest...

We get a "say". But even if Elon was on our side, I doubt us small time TMC posting retail investors can swing the vote against the rest...

hmmm, i think we might have enough votes. elon has 20%, ballie gifford has 9% (ron barron is investing in Elon), so we just need to make up 21.5% of the rest of the shares to carry out our wish - as long as we're all coordinated with that wish.

i think institutional holdings only amount to 60%, of which ballie gifford is 9 of it? we just need either the saudi PIF or tencent to vote with the retail holders. :)

Reactions: hiroshiy
Status
Not open for further replies.