Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One interesting tidbit is that this station reduces/buffers its own power consumption with a 88 kWh battery bank of used (BMW i3) batteries (and 20 kW of PV).

I have to imagine that stationary use of retired BEV battery packs will become a new revenue stream (something for which Tesla is optimally positioned).

PS. I guess 88 kWh could come from four 22 kWh i3 packs.
PPS. Let's say that one day Tesla creates a new 2170-cell based battery pack compatible with the current Model S/X. Any owner of a 18650-based Model S/X could then pay for the upgrade, getting a discount for the old battery (depending on its capacity), which could then be put into use by Tesla right away in one of their utility-sized, stationary batteries. This would make their margins look even better.
Not sure about reusing vehicle battery in stationary storage. I think the chemistry of vehicle batteries are tuned towards energy density, rather than cycle life. 88kWh pack there would cycle at least a few times a day - if you assume 3 miles per kWh, three cycles of 88kWh equates to 792 miles a day, 290k miles a year. I wouldn't think these batteries last more than three years...

Model 3 VINs (@Model3VINs) | Twitter

At least on September 24, November 3 and November 15 it was tweeted that a few VINs which are supposed to be for the European market were registered.
Do EU bound S/X vins normally appear in the same service? If so, then that does seem like a valid expecation. If not, it might have just been a fluke due to whatever system automatically posts those through not differentiating markets yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Not sure about reusing vehicle battery in stationary storage. I think the chemistry of vehicle batteries are tuned towards energy density, rather than cycle life. 88kWh pack there would cycle at least a few times a day - if you assume 3 miles per kWh, three cycles of 88kWh equates to 792 miles a day, 290k miles a year. I wouldn't think these batteries last more than three years...
Either 2 or 3 years ago at the Tampa, Florida, United States boat show, the German Torquedo boat motor folks were showing a repurposed BMW I-3 battery pack for marine use with their engines.

They were saying then it was around $28,000 for 33kWh if my memory is good.

Have the packs been derated? It was an outrageous price even then though

• Informative

Add more batteries and/or reduce output to shift the energy to power ratio (C rate and # of cycles)

Reactions: hiroshiy

If the packs are used for peak shaving, they won't need to deliver the entire amount of energy for any single charge. Ideally, they'd communicate with the grid controller and limit peak rate consumption. Anyway, that's Tesla's intention with adding Powerpacks at Supercharger sites.

Cheers!

Reactions: hiroshiy
"Once again we present the very best new cars you can buy..."
2018 10Best Cars: The Best Cars for Sale in America Today | Feature | Car and Driver

Except... Tesla Model 3.

This is hilarious.

How can they ignore the Model 3?

Look at these dinosaurs!

1.jpg

Really? this is a top 10 interior? It looks so dated already.

2018-honda-civic-inline2-photo-696911-s-original.jpg

The top 10 for 2018 should be this list:

1. Tesla Model 3

And that's it.

They are all Nokia, making their flip phones, about to die.

TSLA Long. It is so so so obvious.

I query whether Tesla will continue with its "Europe next" plan given the weird Chinese tariff situation, where tariffs will be lower for three months and then are likely to go back up again. We may see Chinese VINs registered next?
That would be likely if Tesla had not already obtained superb deals from Shanghai, where the mayor insists CKD production will begin 2nd half 2019 and the final product is NOT in a duty free zone. What other accomodations ahve been made? I do not know but I am quite positive that Chinese Model 3 sales will be exceedingly robust, higher than in the US once their scale has been achieved, say late 2020.

Isn’t it about time too see a large batch of European Model 3 VINs registered? Production should begin any day now.

Nah, my guess is they're gonna continue like crazy with US production until 23:59 31.12 so they still have some inventory for January + potential "in the last 7 days we produced 7k Model 3's" quote in the deliveries report. Then a some shutdown for maintainance, employee cool down and adjusting the lines for EU changes. And only then start actual EU production. And AFAIK VINs don't need to be "registered" before production starts, so there may be some delay until actual 1st EU cars roll off the line and we see its VIN somewhere inbetween production start and production complete.

That would be likely if Tesla had not already obtained superb deals from Shanghai, where the mayor insists CKD production will begin 2nd half 2019 and the final product is NOT in a duty free zone. What other accomodations ahve been made? I do not know but I am quite positive that Chinese Model 3 sales will be exceedingly robust, higher than in the US once their scale has been achieved, say late 2020.
Well, sure, but some Chinese reservation holders may want to get their car in early 2019 rather than late 2020! People *do* get impatient. Why not do it while they've got cheap tarriffs; they can back off again before the Chinese Gigafactory is finished.

Nah, my guess is they're gonna continue like crazy with US production until 23:59 31.12

American factories don't work on New Years' Eve. Expect half a day of production on Dec 31 with no 2nd shift that day, then no shifts at all on New Year's Day.

I expect a similar shutdown for Christmas Eve/Day, so reduction of 3.0 days of Model 3 production, or 3K units approx. for the Holidays.

But the double time required to operate then would make the cars unprofitable, and the workers very unhappy. Enough people might call in sick to cause a shutdown anyway.

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: sweter
Goddammit, GM...

Why do all the other car companies keep failing harder and faster than Tesla? I mean, at this point Tesla can make enormous, enormous mistakes and still be the leading car company in the world just because everyone else is making bigger mistakes. Even the Chinese car companies are making cars with batteries which are too small, making hybrids, failing to mass produce... and the traditional legacy companies are doing so much worse!

I know people who would rather buy anyone else's electric car due to Tesla's rather infamous lack of service support out here, but *they're buying Teslas anyway because what else is there*. This is an insane competitive position. I've never seen the likes of it.

Xpeng, the admitted and avowed Tesla clone, may be the most serious Tesla competitor out there!
A Chinese engineer formerly in the apple car project was arrested for stealing from Apple. He has stolen computer boards from hardware vaults and downloaded large amount of confidential files on his last day with Apple. At that time he had an offer from xpeng. And he was arrested on his way back to China.

Just one data point xpeng hired some morally corrupted and mentally retarded person.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and T3SLA3
Well, sure, but some Chinese reservation holders may want to get their car in early 2019 rather than late 2020! People *do* get impatient. Why not do it while they've got cheap tarriffs; they can back off again before the Chinese Gigafactory is finished.
Absolutely, that is why there are already ships on their way to China loaded with new Teslas, including Model 3. The reduced prices right now should drive quite high volumes pre-Chinese New Years. I hope that is correct; I think that is correct.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.