Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Data point, I just received the email to configure my 3 even though I had previously checked the short range model. However on my configure page they had the long range model checked, with a 3-6 week delivery time. Base model is showing late 18, SR with AWD showing mid 18. I initially reserved online in the first few minutes.

If you're anything like me, you will now have to remind yourself at least once per week of why you really should stick to your original plan and wait for the short range. It's really tough having that invite just sitting there mocking you.

But for me, I just really cannot buy the long range and remain in the realms of financial prudence, so I wait for the SR (or a MAJOR short squeeze).

But for me, I just really cannot buy the long range and remain in the realms of financial prudence, so I wait for the SR (or a MAJOR short squeeze).
Same. The other thing besides a large share price spike that might sway me to the LR is if it looks like the SR won't be available in time for the full tax refund and they offer the LR without having to take all the upgraded options. At that point it would make more sense to take the LR with the refund than the SR without. However I expect at least the partial refund to be available when the SR is.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
With gas prices approaching $5 per gallon in some areas, and more soon, Tesla could raise prices by $5,000 and immediately electrocute the shorts, while still not meeting demand.

Gas Prices on the Rise in San Diego County

$5,000 higher ASP for 2018 and 2019 would be enough to fully build one more Gigafactory than otherwise, with internal funds, and accelerate the mission.

Last edited:
I don't think that you have been shadowbanned
I see the post too.
This cobalt story is bugging me.
From last week
LG CHEM / HUAYOU COBALT DEAL RESHAPES CATHODE LANDSCAPE FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLE BATTERIES
LG Chem / Huayou cobalt deal reshapes cathode landscape for electric vehicle batteries

"It is the world’s most significant deal between a raw material miner and lithium ion battery manufacturer to date..."

"..in excess of $440m.."

Okay, cobalt.
The biggest deal ever, 440 million?

Given the stakes and the future, and the amount auto people throw at
these rustbuckets, $440 million is a heavy move?

I am missing something here.

Why hasnt Google/Apple /somefreekinbody just waltzed in
and walked off owning the ballgame from petty cash?

I believe I've been shadowbanned on this forum.

Nope. You’re perfectly visible, just failing to attract responses. That faulty assumption should lead you to question your other assumptions.

”Tesla has never made a profitable car.”

Both the S&X are profitable, and have been since at least Q3 2016. Read the financial statements. Once you strip away spending on the Model 3, it’s utterly clear.

You haven't been shadowbanned, as I've seen all your posts.
images76T8DNZ2.jpg

:p

With gas prices approaching $5 per gallon in some areas, and more soon, Tesla could raise prices by $5,000 and immediately electrocute the shorts, while still not meeting demand.

Gas Prices on the Rise in San Diego County

$5,000 higher ASP for 2018 and 2019 would be enough to fully build one more Gigafactory than otherwise, with internal funds, and accelerate the mission.

If Tesla were to raise ASP by $5,000, the positive impact to its bottom line in 2019 alone would be $3 Billion. In 2019 alone.

Each $1 increase in gasoline prices increases the relative value of an EV by $5,000 in a ten-year period (five-year ownership PLUS five-year second-hand ownership reflected as higher resale value).

Gasoline prices have and will continue to rise a lot more than $1 per gallon. What we are witnessing in gas prices is just the beginning.

Earnings wed May 2nd after ever bell.

Tesla Announces Date for First Quarter 2018 Financial Results and Webcast

PALO ALTO, Calif., April 19, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tesla will post its financial results for the first quarter of 2018 after market close on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018. At that time, Tesla will issue a brief advisory containing a link to the Q1 2018 Update Letter, which will be available on Tesla's Investor Relations website. Tesla will hold a live question and answer webcast that day at 2:30pm Pacific Time (5:30pm Eastern Time) to discuss the Company's financial and business results and outlook.

This seems to be the common thread... That Musk is predominantly just an idea man (visionary, futurologist, etc) and huckster (great at marketing), when that's clearly the least of which sets him apart from the field.

I have big ideas and visions and am pretty good at bullshitting people, so you could argue all I need are some spacecraft and my own car company and it is same!
Well, I would also state that he knows enough engineering about the projects at hand to know whether or not what he is being presented with is possible. Having management that knows how (or at least mostly) the lower level guys do their job makes for a much more effective team. When you know how to do your subordinate’s job, you know when they’re doing a good job, you know when they’re not, and you know when they’re trying to bullshit you. That’s why you don’t have a project manager without technical skills running a technical project. They can’t tell when the wool is being pulled over their eyes.

If Tesla were to raise ASP by $5,000, the positive impact to its bottom line in 2019 alone would be $3 Billion. In 2019 alone.

Each $1 increase in gasoline prices increases the relative value of an EV by $5,000 in a ten-year period (five-year ownership PLUS five-year second-hand ownership reflected as higher resale value).

Gasoline prices have and will continue to rise a lot more than $1 per gallon. What we are witnessing in gas prices is just the beginning.
What are the percentage of Tesla vehicles that are leased on the S and the X? If a large amount is leased, then you must calculate savings based on a 3 or 4 year period instead of 10. I think the 10 only applies to those who would buy a 3, and they’re already price sensitive in comparison. I don’t think S and X owners will care as much.

Personally I think free Supercharging should be eliminated for the S and the X, even with referral. Give them some other prize, like a $500 credit for a PowerWall charger, or such. I still think that a lot of the SuperCharger congestion is due to cheapskate Tesla owners who don’t want to charge at home to miss out on the “free” charging. It’s equal to me going to a standard charger with my Leaf and unable to charge because some cheapskate Chevy Volt (PHEV) owner is hogging the L2 charger for 5 hours.

Earnings wed May 2nd after ever bell.

Tesla Announces Date for First Quarter 2018 Financial Results and Webcast

PALO ALTO, Calif., April 19, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tesla will post its financial results for the first quarter of 2018 after market close on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018. At that time, Tesla will issue a brief advisory containing a link to the Q1 2018 Update Letter, which will be available on Tesla's Investor Relations website. Tesla will hold a live question and answer webcast that day at 2:30pm Pacific Time (5:30pm Eastern Time) to discuss the Company's financial and business results and outlook.
Hmm, I'm getting a tooth pulled the day after. When I was getting the root canal on this tooth TSLA went up $10. Lets hope for a bigger pop when they pull it out.

I went on a factory tour Wednesday - it was my fourth tour, but the first one in three years. Some observations:

Wish I could go on a tour. Went last month to Fremont to see a Model 3, but was told I had to go to Santa Clara. Asked about a tour but was told "there are no tours available".

I did go to Santa Clara so I could actually SIT in the Model 3. Liked what I saw.

After waiting 2 years and 1 week EXACTLY 1 day after I went to the Denver Auto Show, I got my invitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.