Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to think people are too dumb to be allowed to use autopilot in it's current form. I'm also afraid government agencies will agree with me.
Tesla sedan in Autopilot mode hit a parked California police car
Looks like AP1 car. As others have suggested that geofencing may be a good way to reduce such accidents, what if Tesla genfenced the older AP1 cars from using AP on local roads? Helps with moving more people to upgrade to newer cars.

tesla-model-s-police-suv-crash.jpg

Saw this double-page Honda ad on the inside cover of a recent New Yorker and was just amazed at how dumbed-down the text was, laying on the FUD really thick and playing to the deepest fears of EV late-adopters.

I can't help but read the text of the ad in the same voice that Jon Stewart used to imitate Cecil Turtle aka current Senate Majority Leader. "When da 'lectric battery runs out, da gas kicks in. So, uh-huh, you can keep going. A-yup."

honduh-hybrid.jpg

I kind of like this idea. My folks have an S and are getting a 3 and they are getting up there in age - and I'd feel better about Chill being the default frankly so I don't have to talk them into it. :) Too, I think there could be an online tutorial you need to "Pass" (go through) in order to activate AutoPilot vs. going to a store.
What? Do you want drivers to be literate?:D

• Funny
Reactions: skitown
Saw this double-page Honda ad on the inside cover of a recent New Yorker and was just amazed at how dumbed-down the text was, laying on the FUD really thick and playing to the deepest fears of EV late-adopters.

I can't help but read the text of the ad in the same voice that Jon Stewart used to imitate Cecil Turtle aka current Senate Majority Leader. "When da 'lectric battery runs out, da gas kicks in. So, uh-huh, you can keep going. A-yup."

View attachment 304759
I saw an Clarity EV at Stevens Creek Honda in San Jose yesterday. It took me a while to fine the 89mi range info on the sticker, not the biggest font on the sticker, wonder why :rolleyes:

I was with a friend buying a CRV. She had already picked out the trim/options she wanted beforehand, made sure they had the exact car, went in with a loan from her credit union, and took the Memorial Day sales price without further haggling, and the whole thing still took >3 hours. Don't think I'll be back to a dealership any time soon, if ever.

Oh BTW, in 10 years a hybrid will look like one of those stereos with 2 tape decks. "You can record your radio/tape/CD to tapes and play them anywhere!"

By European standards, current driver's ed in the US is like a cruel darwinistic joke anyway.

And I don't know how fellow Europeans feel about this, but I'm actually terrified driving on US roads. I had to do more emergency breakings driving around in Cali for two weeks than in my whole (driver's) lifetime in Europe. Completely nuts.
Arguably that's been the situation (at least compared to some European nations) for at least two decades, at least based on my experience at the time (in the US) versus what I read about online as being normal in Europe.

Reactions: neroden
Hello everyone,

on a different topic, I wanted to know your thoughts around the new chemistry involved in the new battery production batch, when do you think they'll be produced for the Models S & X ?

We all remember that Elon said that the "form factor" of the batteries wont change to the 2170, but what about the chemical factor, will it be poured in the 18650 cells? (or not!)

Now after a rough calculation I did with a friend, (by data available publicly in the quarter reports) if we divide 2 Billion batteries (originally from Tesla-Panasonic agreement) by the delivered vehicles (Models S & X), we'll find out that there are around 10,000 vehicles left before they run out of stock. ( 1.9B cells has already been delivered/sold )

The calculation was made by counting all delivered Models S & X between Q1 2014 & Q1 2018, assuming each vehicle carries 7000 cells.
(I hope we're correct with the duration, meaning : they started delivering first batch on Q1 2018)

How do you think Tesla is planning for the next (new) battery production for the Models S & X?
I'm more concern about this than the interior refresh.

I'm starting to think people are too dumb to be allowed to use autopilot in it's current form. I'm also afraid government agencies will agree with me.
Tesla sedan in Autopilot mode hit a parked California police car
I fully agree with you. This needs to stop or the backlash will be enormous. Also I tried to find any other manufacturers with L2/3 systems and crashes and came back empty handed. There is 2 things to this: Teslas are very safe cars and people dying in them colludes this. Second of course bad rep for partially autonomous systems.

Just a few comments on UK vs US drivers. Yes the UK driving standard requirements are infinitely more rigorous than those in force in the US. However this doesn't necessarily result in a high standard of driving. We have between 5 and 10% of drivers who are absolute morons and have a complete disregard for either their own or other persons safety. In my and my friends experience, it has cost between $4000 and $5000 for each kid (around 18-22 yoa) to pass their driving test with initial insurance rates running at upwards of $2000 for a $4000 car. This reflects the confidence (or lack of it) that the insurers have in new UK drivers.

I've done quite a lot of driving in the US, upwards of 100K miles over the years and find the width of thoroughfare to be the biggest plus factor. The UK simply does not have the available land space. We have two way roads here that can only just accommodate my MS in width and many of our motorways are almost side streets when compared to US Interstates. I've driven on Interstates at or just over the legal limit
only to have a semi roar past at (quite probably) 80-90mph. That's scary! We generally don't have medians as an escape route so you have to be constantly aware of whats going on and what you will do in the event a moron surfaces.

Very many years ago I read a short sci-fi story which, if memory serves, was entitled 'The Automatobiles'. Essentially it dealt with a driving society (set in the 1980's lol!) where all cars were controlled by a central source resulting in only a single accident in the current year, that was when a driver had abused his car and the car had run over him in revenge!

I honestly believe that in the mid to distant future the 'automatobile' type of environment will become the norm and neither speed nor collision will be a dangerous factor in travel with the 'central control' being able to manage all risk and adjust all travel to suit all travellers. Yes it will take a lot of the fun out of day to day driving but, who knows, maybe they can build some sort of VR into the car so that driver actually believes they are in control - much as those on AP do now!

I'm the wrong side of 70 now and still enjoy the thrill of using 'insane' mode - but I'm pretty certain I know when it's safe to do so. I don't use AP but do use cruise control. My P85D is the closest I've experienced to perfect balanced driving.

Hello everyone,

on a different topic, I wanted to know your thoughts around the new chemistry involved in the new battery production batch, when do you think they'll be produced for the Models S & X ?

We all remember that Elon said that the "form factor" of the batteries wont change to the 2170, but what about the chemical factor, will it be poured in the 18650 cells? (or not!)

Now after a rough calculation I did with a friend, (by data available publicly in the quarter reports) if we divide 2 Billion batteries (originally from Tesla-Panasonic agreement) by the delivered vehicles (Models S & X), we'll find out that there are around 10,000 vehicles left before they run out of stock. ( 1.9B cells has already been delivered/sold )

The calculation was made by counting all delivered Models S & X between Q1 2014 & Q1 2018, assuming each vehicle carries 7000 cells.
(I hope we're correct with the duration, meaning : they started delivering first batch on Q1 2018)

How do you think Tesla is planning for the next (new) battery production for the Models S & X?
I'm more concern about this than the interior refresh.

There's some question (at least in my mind) about what the chemistry differences, if any, there may be in the 2170 cells going in to the three.

Direct comparisons of energy density are a bit difficult, as the exact capacity of the Model 3 pack is only estimated, and varies a bit (I've seen 75 - 82 kWh estimates). Additionally, the pack in the 3 also contains the charger, HVJB, DC-DC converter, etc... so comparisons by weight are also problematic.

I wish someone (Jack Rickard?) would weigh just one of the modules outside the pack...

I'm not sure that "run out of stock" is appropriate. It maybe 10,000 vehicles before they have met the terms of their current contract, but nothing is preventing them from signing a contract extension, or even buying cells not under a specific long-term contract.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.