Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important clarification: it’s not a tent. It appears to be a permanent building called a Sprung structure. Tesla is not the first company to use these buildings for manufacturing. The material that is spread over the aluminum structure is guaranteed to last for 25 years, and it can be replaced. The aluminum structure is guaranteed to last 50 years.

People use these Sprung buildings not only for manufacturing operations, but also as churches and gyms. These are real, permanent buildings, not tents.

If today is about average, there will be 500 car fires. About 100 people will die as a result of those.
It’s concise. It’s sobering. It provokes thought. So this is what I am saying Monday if I am jokingly trolled in the workplace hallways.
Like @Stretch2727 wrote in this post above, 100/day dying in car fires is not credible. Maybe that's not what you meant, maybe you meant annually, but we don't fight misinformation with more misinformation.

FYI - Professor Scott Galloway from NYU Stern (usual purveyor of great information) posted this hit piece-esque video on Tesla earlier today:

It includes, among other things, an executive departure list compiled by Jim Chanos, a comparison of the Q1 earnings call to the infamous Enron call, and the well-refuted claim that Teslas that run on coal emit more carbon than ICE.

There's no reason to suspect ulterior motives, he and his team seem to simply have fallen victim to the Tesla misinformation machine. I wrote him an email (as did quite a few others, I suspect) refuting some of his points and he, to my pleasant surprise, replied within minutes saying they messed up on this one and that they'd post a follow up.

One battle at a time

The re-uploaded version is online of this and while it removed the list of executive departures and the carbon emission claim, it keeps the Enron comparison and the general negative slant against Tesla.

Glad to see them admitting to errors and removing them, however I was undoubtably hoping for more - especially considering Galileo from HyperChangeTV was given an 'OK' from Scott back in May to come on his show. Still think L2inc is a valuable source of information in general, though they clearly don't understand Tesla.

I think analysis of the satellite images showed the tent is now 900 feet long, not 90 (I saw this number only in a couple of tweets). The image Elon posted is only a small part of the line. In the photos at https://twitter.com/skabooshka/status/1008057611613171712 I believe I see a line with red robot arms or some other red structure (not shown in Elon's photo). At the far end there are blue structures that look like what is shown in the photo Elon posted.

900' with a turn and back another 900' would be enough for an entire line. It's certainly wide enough to allow for a turn. What perplexes me most is speed from May 31st to yesterday is less then 3 weeks to put up the structure and have cars coming out the end.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Elon buys 25 million dollars worth of stock last week, to then sabotage it with
The “radical improvement” e mail , cognitive dissonance In my mind.

In my view, he clearly wants to keep the troops highly engaged , and expects with
high certainty to achieve his stated objective , or very close to it by
The stated dateline.

His purchase could have been delayed if he expected a negative outcome.

......The material that is spread over the aluminum structure is guaranteed to last for 25 years, and it can be replaced. The aluminum structure is guaranteed to last 50 years.....

excellent post. Thank you. And these structures 'flex', which makes them an excellent application in zones with high seismic activity (worth mentioning since seismic concerns for the Fremont plant location are occasionally posted)

Elon buys 25 million dollars worth of stock last week, to then sabotage it with
The “radical improvement” e mail , cognitive dissonance In my mind.

In my view, he clearly wants to keep the troops highly engaged , and expects with
high certainty to achieve his stated objective , or very close to it by
The stated dateline.

His purchase could have been delayed if he expected a negative outcome.

Honestly we have no clue what Elon's up to. Neither do the bears. The email could have been cover to prove his investment was actually at risk by exclaiming the need for radical improvements to meet goals. It could be to lure bears into a trap.

Reactions: hobbes and mongo
Thought I would share a photo from LinkedIn of @Krugerrand keeping the bears and trolls in check. Keep up the great work!

95941e78-bfc6-4ff3-8edd-55c7e5d034ce-original.jpeg

Dang, I’m looking good.

Vehicles

100/day dying from car fires seemed a bit high.

About 200 die per year as a result of a car fire. Collisions with a resulting fire caused 60% of these. Assume the other 40% was due to spontaneous fire due to malfunction.

Ah, thanks so much; I do know better than to trustingly requote a statistic heard on a podcast (edit: Queue it to 02:00). I’ve caught them getting weeks/months mixed up in production estimates recently too. My bad.

edit edit: looks like they got it from here? And misspoke regarding “...and 100 people died on US roads”

I will be saying something sobering and less misinformative come Monday, but the point remains that I will be saying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Welllllll.....

I’ve been waiting to post this for a long time (9 months!); thought I’d get around to creating a special thread for it, but....

...and THIS is why I said last year that we were going to be spending a lot of time with doctors, hospitals and all (’twarn’t me!)

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY, from the very oldest first-time Pop you ever will meet (you’ve GOT to blow this up - I can’t attach full pix with my limited bandwidth)
76772C6D-2707-49FC-9245-756545C519C3.jpeg

Thinking about product placement in media watching Amazon Goliath.

Musk combats this with product placement in real life: KD and now the F1 guy.

I was concerned for a while as Elon has no direct media control. As Bezos does.

Reactions: Intl Professor
Status
Not open for further replies.