Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting My Model X tomorrow .... Finally .. now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I'm finally getting my Model X tomorrow. The wait looked like eternity ...But I spent my time going through the forum and all small issues Tesla owners have to face for operating it in Texas
I have my electricity plan renewal next month and was wondering how much extra consumption will Tesla charging cost?
I am getting a 75D and would be driving around 500 miles / month. I'm still figuring out the maths of using an EV.
Also on to do list is
  • Window Tinting / Heat rejection (discussed with 2 vendors in Houston area )
  • Pain Protection (Might go full , but still considering the full front)
  • Dash cam (BlackVue / Thinkware -- might hold on for the AP2 compatible BlackVue)
  • Floor Mats (Tough Pro / TopFit / Llyods)
  • EzTag and where to stick it?
Would appreciate recommendations / suggestions / idea from the forum. Thanks.

We got full front Suntek PPF from local installer for $1100 in Dallas. Suntek or Xpel are good, just get a good installer via recommendation/reviews. This is our 2nd vehicle with Suntek, and we are happy with the look and protection.

We're getting the Tesla all-weather floor mats (but just have not ordered yet).
EzTag should go just to the right of the camera (if viewing from driver seat).

Electricity usage depends on your plan and how much you drive.
Based on data of KWh usage from teslalog.com, we have ~$30/month in extra electricity. We charge exclusively at home, unless on road-trips.

Reactions: archangelX
Hi
I have my electricity plan renewal next month and was wondering how much extra consumption will Tesla charging cost?
I am getting a 75D and would be driving around 500 miles / month. I'm still figuring out the maths of using an EV.
Also on to do list is
  • Dash cam (BlackVue / Thinkware -- might hold on for the AP2 compatible BlackVue)
First, congratulations - you are going to love it.

In my MS in the city, I average just over 3 miles per KWh - or an extra 150-200 kwh for 500 miles. With my recent renewal with Breeze Energy (100% green), I pay $0.73/kwh (now its 7.8) - under $15 a month. The MX uses a bit more energy, so under $20 a month.

Go with your favorite flavor of Ceramic tint, really rejects the heat in Texas. Most heat comes in via front windshield, then side windows. Zero need for any 'roof' tinting.

On the newer windshields, you can pretty much put the EzTag anywhere - or some (me) have the bigger license plate transponder in the glove box and have the license plate registered. Seems to have a 90% success rate with the glovebox transponder based on the timing of charges, rest come through 4-8 hours later from what I assume is a license plate match up. Either way HCTRA doesn't seem to care.

Never heard of an AP2 blackvue, sounds interesting. I have the Blackvue dr650s-2ch which works great.

Highly recommend the PPF, especially if you drive on I-10 or I-45. Had a Tesla loaner for a month and at the end of the month, the front bumper and hood had 15-20 rock chips. My car had a full front PPF in the first week of ownership. The second week a small-ish tree branch fell off a truck on I-10 and hit the hood. Scratched the PPF, but not the hood. Replaced the PPF on the hood for a nominal cost. It's wonderful stuff.

Hey @archangelX congrats!
As others have said, you're going to love your X, and will likely be looking for excuses to hit the road.
Your to-do list looks great- I personally went with the front-only paint protection (XPEL).
Also, I may have missed it in a post elsewhere, but what did you mean by "AP2 compatible BlackVue"?

Cheers!

Highly recommend the PPF, especially if you drive on I-10 or I-45. Had a Tesla loaner for a month and at the end of the month, the front bumper and hood had 15-20 rock chips. My car had a full front PPF in the first week of ownership. The second week a small-ish tree branch fell off a truck on I-10 and hit the hood. Scratched the PPF, but not the hood. Replaced the PPF on the hood for a nominal cost. It's wonderful stuff.
Hi I got a quote for XPEL full body its a bit over my budget. I haven't seen any vendor in Houston highlighting Suntex or quoting it? Is it because of higher quality of XPEL or more of how the product is marketed and installer get compensated?

Hi I got a quote for XPEL full body its a bit over my budget. I haven't seen any vendor in Houston highlighting Suntex or quoting it? Is it because of higher quality of XPEL or more of how the product is marketed and installer get compensated?
Executive motorsports
Peter Christopher
713-467-7000

They do Suntek PPF ultra in the Houston area

I came across them after I had my PPF done elsewhere, so I don't know their work personally.
Executive Motorsports - Memorial - Houston, TX

• Helpful
Congrats! One word of caution: all else being equal, you're likely to drive your X more than 500 miles/month :)

Re. electricity cost, here is the logic I used and it gave me a good directional number:

On an "average" MS driven not to aggressively (ie no pedal to the metal at each red light with a P100DL), one usually gets roughly 3mi/KwH...I don't know if the numbers with an X are drastically different though...Add a 20% buffer for efficiency and that should give you a ballpark. Also, if you have a tiered plan, you may want to play with the numbers to get a sense of the net impact, ie you may get a lower rate at night but higher rates during the day vs. your existing plan. YMMV.

• Love
I also calculated this all out prior to taking delivery, but screwed up all my analysis by driving twice as much as I had driven before.

I love this car. Take it everywhere. ICE vehicle stays in the garage (probably get rid of it soon).

Traveling is so much more enjoyable that I find myself enjoying a much higher standard of living. Going fun places, sharing with friends, visiting relatives, taking more casual Sunday drives.

Using this X gives me tremendous lifestyle value, and reduces the guilt of burning up 20 gallons of gas everytime I want to take a jaunt.

I also calculated this all out prior to taking delivery, but screwed up all my analysis by driving twice as much as I had driven before.

I love this car. Take it everywhere. ICE vehicle stays in the garage (probably get rid of it soon).

Traveling is so much more enjoyable that I find myself enjoying a much higher standard of living. Going fun places, sharing with friends, visiting relatives, taking more casual Sunday drives.

Using this X gives me tremendous lifestyle value, and reduces the guilt of burning up 20 gallons of gas everytime I want to take a jaunt.
I now understand what you are feeling.. I am just searching for excuses to get out and drive the X..

I guess that explains your location as "Driver Seat" :)

My bet is I will go for a short 6 month plan figure out the usage and then go for a longer one.

Just note that you can also easily see your charging consumption online. If you set up an account at smartmetertexas.com you can view your electricity consumption in 15-minute intervals. There's a 24-hour delay in the results - it's not real time.

I've set my car to start charging at 2:00am and it's easy to see the bump in consumption compared to not-charging overnight.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and kavyboy
Hi
I'm finally getting my Model X tomorrow. The wait looked like eternity ...But I spent my time going through the forum and all small issues Tesla owners have to face for operating it in Texas
Also on to do list is
Would appreciate recommendations / suggestions / idea from the forum. Thanks.
I saw my MS friend,he got the floor mat from the topfit brand,looks nice but they do not have the same things for the MS.Upset,it is really good looking and easy clean it.Improtantly is no any smell in the car.Worthy to own it.
未标题-2.jpg