Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting permission to charge your Tesla while at work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Just wondering how many people here got their new Tesla, and once at work, went to their supervisor or the building manager to see about plugging your car in somewhere.

Some places may already have designated EV parking but most don't.

I was meandering around at my current job the other day, and in the warehouse there was an area that had washer / dryer hose connections set up and a NEMA 14-30 plug on the wall! Near an outside shipping door at one end of the building that isn't used much!

The wheels started turning in my mind as I stood there staring at the 14-30 plug on the wall, breathing heavily. If I still have this job (IT contract assignment) when I get my Model 3, maybe I could plug into this with an extension cord and let the company charge my car for me!

Tell us some stories.

When I was working at Qualcomm, a cow-orker bought a Roadster. He was allowed to run an extension cord out the loading dock to recharge during the day (in Boulder).

In Qualcomm San Diego, there were four J1772 chargers in the parking structure that were always in use. And, of course, the San Diego SuperCharger is on Qualcomm property.

So -- unless you work at an oil company, it can't hurt to ask. Management might even decide to put in a few charging stations.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
I will charge at many of my customers' locations in Silicon Valley. Lots of electric cars and awareness. Since I am a contractor, no problem. In one case i did have to contact facilities to get their "code". I then connected with that company on the ChargePoint website using their code. Works great.

Do you need it for the range? Or to be cheap?

I suspect that as the Model 3 starts rolling out, more people will own it who may not have ready access to charging at home (rentals, street parking, etc...). Charging at work would be a great perk or necessity.

I have some co-workers who have Gen 1 Volts. They will plug in for the day using a standard outlet. The key is just ask permission. Employers do see the value of having happy workers.

There are other threads on this subject, and a recurring theme is that co-workers can get upset about you getting "free gasoline" and "why doesn't the company pay for their gas also?" It can get ugly.

I think it is best to not only ask permission (of course), but also insist on paying for the electricity you use. I would offer 20-50% more than my home electricity cost, which encourages me to only use work charging when I need it. For me, that was 1-2 times per month for my Volt, and never for my S85D.

GSP

Last edited:
Reactions: M0DEL³
We have two EV parking spots that no one uses because the outlets don't work, the irony.

But there are several leaf owners in my work garage who charge from L1 outlets scattered throughout the garage. I've charged my Tesla there once before a trip to get close to 100%. Otherwise I just charge at home.

Do you need it for the range? Or to be cheap?
Even if he doesn't need the former I don't think it implies the latter.

If a workplace offers it as a perk, does that make you cheap to take advantage of it? I can buy my own coffee too, but I drink the stuff my employer provides.

I definitely agree about asking permission. I've done so at some venues (not necessarily employer), and often have found businesses are rather happy/intrigued to be able to assist.

I have a Volt, not a Tesla but I asked our building engineer and he ran a 120v and 240v line to a parking spot and put a sign up. They didn't spend the money on a 240v charger so right now I just have a regular 120 outlet but it's fine for my commute after 8 hours. He also has it on a monitor to know how many kwh I'm using and I pay it quarterly. We're a full-service marketing agency so it makes us look "cutting edge" which is why they agreed to do it. I would say try to justify how it'll help your company look good to clients. That's probably the most effective way to get it approved.

Reactions: DarkMatter
One of the buildings near here has two rows of parking (around 24 stalls) with one 20A outlet per spot. It's a great solution as it was relatively cheap to install and people can still gain a fair bit of charge from it. They then have two L2 chargers which are free with a time limit for people who need the miles to get home.

Where I work, we have a parking garage that has 36 solar powered Level 2 EV chargers. It's a great perk and the fact that they are solar powered makes it even better! The chargers are quite popular and are usually filled with a combination of Leafs, Volts, Sparks, Ford Energi models, a Bolt, an Audi A3 e-tron, a Smart forTwo EV, a Mitsubishi MiEV, and even a few Teslas. I've only used the chargers a few times since taking delivery of my Model S, and only on days when they aren't being used by those who have smaller battery capacities. Usually I've used them when I head out of town directly from the office so that I don't have to drive home to top off.

Yes, if (a) you don't need the range to get home/to next destination, and (b) you're blocking others who do.
So, there's a bit of a balance to walk on this, in my opinion. If you aren't taking one of the last spots (therefore risking (b)), even if you aren't desperate for the charge, I think it is good to show interest and support of widely-available charging by plugging in. "Use it or lose it", as they say. Once the spots become popular (or at times of the day when they are), I would defer to others, of course, if I could. But I think it is good to use the spots if they would otherwise go unused, in order to encourage more of the same. Just be sure to monitor your charging and move your vehicle when it's done. EV charging spots can not become viewed as "privileged parking" for EV owners. That would be bad both for others needing the charge, and for public opinion of the EV population in general.

So, to tie back to the earlier comment about having a bunch of 20 amp outlets, I really support this. We have 8 Level-2 charging slots where I used to work, and 4 hours of free charging per day. A round trip's worth of charge would take me about 3 hours to fill, so every day I had a scheduling challenge to pick a time when I could get an open slot (they were usually all occupied), AND have an open slot on my calendar to go out and move my car afterward. It would be much more convenient, and for most people, more than sufficient, to have a lot of slots with cheap 20 amp outlets, where one could plug in and just leave the car there for the entire day, even if it filled before quitting time, instead of the relatively few (the site's population was a few thousand) L2 slots they installed. The keys here, and back to (b) above, is to have enough slots that they aren't a precious resource, have a few of the alternative Level-2 chargers available (time limited), and also not put the slots in the very front of the parking lot making them too much of a privilege in the eyes of the ICEers but close enough to not discourage use.

That's what I would ask for, but, yes, start by asking for the one. That's how we change things.

Well that's discourteous in a wide variety of circumstances... but that's not the OP's scenario...nor mine.
Not meaning to accuse you or the OP of doing it/being discourteous. Apologies if that wan't clear.

If you aren't taking one of the last spots (therefore risking (b)), even if you aren't desperate for the charge, I think it is good to show interest and support of widely-available charging by plugging in.
Yes, I agree; didn't add that. If the spots are available, they should get used. People just shouldn't charge unnecessarily/take more than they need to get home unless everyone else has charged first. The problem is, that can be hard to control and it only takes one greedy freeloader to screw everyone else.

If that starts happening, I think workplace charging stations should charge the going residential rate, to encourage people to charge at home if possible.

I also think it's risky to buy an EV if you don't have home charging. Your current employer may offer charging, but if 20 other coworkers buy EV's, or you change jobs, you could be SOL without home charging.

I talked my employer into dedicating a couple stalls for EV (with signage). They're level 1 120VAC but makes it a free commute on most days, pays for both to and from work. FYI, there's level 1 throughout the whole parking lot for any car to plug into, for block heaters in winter. So nobody can complain about "hey, he gets free fuel"... The only difference is the EV spots are not on cycled power, they're constantly on... whereas the others cycle 15 min on/off. And the EV spots are close to the building... a perk, high visibility, and "social responsibility" factor for people to point out window and say "we are thinking of the future / eco with EV's"

Reactions: MocosMan