Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ghost Braking Danger on Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also easiest thing to fix, once they have reading speed limit signs released

Oh goody. They should release that feature into beta within a couple of years, and then going by their track record, that feature should be in beta for about 5 years. So in about 7 years, we will easily have phantom braking fixed! Cant' wait.

Oh goody. They should release that feature into beta within a couple of years, and then going by their track record, that feature should be in beta for about 5 years. So in about 7 years, we will easily have phantom braking fixed! Cant' wait.

Or, this year.

Since the assets to display them already were recently added to the firmware a couple weeks ago per Greentheonly.

Regardless of Tesla employing more advanced technology, my wife’s 2017 Honda phantom brakes far less than my 2019 Model 3. IMO, Tesla should have already figured out how to handle shadows from an overpass, but here we are, a couple years later, we have HW3, and I still have multiple incidents of false positives during my drive. Don’t even get me started on how poor the BSW system is compared to my wife’s Honda.

Reactions: OPRCE and SlimJim
The thing is, a "traffic aware cruise control" that just adjusts speed based on other vehicles could drive at any speed (or almost...). Autopilot also steers and needs to be going at a speed that makes sense for the road it's driving on otherwise it won't be able to make the curves.
I think the normal cruise control (no steering) should let us set the speed we want, independent on the posted speeds. It's a driver decision. If we had this, we'd have one mode where wrong braking doesn't happen.

I've had braking in road "change" sections, a map error as others are saying. I've had a couple of times I was passing people and the car braked thinking the other car was in my lane (it was not). I also had an occasion where it braked for a car in the other direction where it thought that other car was crossing the line. It's annoying to have to keep the foot close to the accelerator all the time, partly defeats de purpose of cruise control.

We've experienced phantom braking a few times since the most recent updates. Also, the car will ping-pong inexplicably when changing lanes. And it slows down way too much on curves. These quirks scare the bejesus out of my wife, so much so that I've given up using AP when she's in the car until they're fixed. It's too bad, as previous versions were so much more reliable, smoother, and predictable. Hope Tesla will work out such bugs soon!

Regardless of Tesla employing more advanced technology, my wife’s 2017 Honda phantom brakes far less than my 2019 Model 3. IMO, Tesla should have already figured out how to handle shadows from an overpass, but here we are, a couple years later, we have HW3, and I still have multiple incidents of false positives during my drive. Don’t even get me started on how poor the BSW system is compared to my wife’s Honda.

And your Honda’s Tech will never get better than it is, and will be old tech very soon.
Tesla’s will keep improving.

My old Nokia flip phone worked better than my first iPhone as well. ....

Gotta go through some growing pains with new tech. If you can’t handle it, should have waited a few years.

Mine phantom brakes multiple times per week due to overpass bridge shadows. (Not really phantom, moreso semi consistent false positives.) Sometimes it scares the crap out of me when it does it.

I will quickly start stroking the steering wheel saying, "Shhhh. Shhhhh. Shhhh. It's ok, baby girl. It's just a shadow. I won't let it hurt you."
I always make sure to let my car know I’m still here when she flips out

And your Honda’s Tech will never get better than it is, and will be old tech very soon.
Tesla’s will keep improving.

My old Nokia flip phone worked better than my first iPhone as well. ....

Gotta go through some growing pains with new tech. If you can’t handle it, should have waited a few years.

But my Honda Tech has been better for the past three years, while Tesla has not surpassed it in terms of false positives. In other words, I prefer less false positives now over the promise less false positives sometime in the future.

I have a 2020 model 3 and mine seems to phantom brake when it’s approaching a slight curve on the highway and a car is in the adjacent right lane. It seems to think the car is in its lane but I have no clue what the computer is interpreting.

But my Honda Tech has been better for the past three years, while Tesla has not surpassed it in terms of false positives. In other words, I prefer less false positives now over the promise less false positives sometime in the future.

LOL. Well we would all prefer less false positives. :)
It’s called progressive development though.
Did we get the smart phones we have today over night, or did they get better over time.

I think many folks need to realize new advanced tech just doesn’t appear, because you prefer it. :)

Twice today my model 3 came to a hault when using cruise control on the highway. The second time everything in my car was thrown into the front seat/windshield as i was going 80mph and I took over but was at 30mph by then as it happened so fast .. WTH is going on as I could have been killed and/or killed others.

It's not that my cameras are dirty or other excuses, something is really wrong here.

What firmware release are you on?

The most common error I see now is a GPS/Maps issue where the car picks up the speed limit from a nearby road or has an incorrect entry for a section of road. Repeatable, so easy to be aware of on regular routes.

Yep, that's been my issue as well. Seems like a temporary band aid fix would be to lock the speed limit to the minimum known limit for all major roadways ignoring any other map speed data. So for example, heading up north on the I95 should get locked at 55 mph letting the driver adjust as needed.

There are two spots on the 405 Fwy south in Orange County that I drive regularly and my car brakes suddenly every single time I drive these sections. I forget and am suddenly reminded as the car brakes hard and forces me to take over. I keep thinking these problems will go away with updates, but hasn't been corrected yet, despite multiple software updates since my delivery in December 2018

It has been a known pattern for tesla to fix one thing and break something else.
But i noticed my 2020 model 3 wipers are more diligent than my previous 2019 model 3.

It wipes too ****in much. I have to keep that wiper off. Also the high beams... All it does is high beam, low beam, high beam, etc. All i'm doing is driving and there's someone in front of me like 15 car lengths away.