Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Texas Model Y Accelerate Delivery Offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4A1179AD-11C1-447D-9060-82D02A0EADCC.jpeg
3593D6F6-E310-46C7-A544-1F20EAC0EDBD.jpeg

Link to Tweet:

I have an order for a Model Y and am close to the factory.
Haven't had any email yet, but I guessing its because I ordered white seats.
I noticed on the latest drone videos that none of the cars have white interior yet, although they have started rolling the last of the colors out (MSM)
Not sure I want 60 miles less range for a $2k price drop, seems that it should cost less than that.
They don't really say what else is different.

Seems like an LFP battery specification. Lower range and lower voltage/power. If LFP, it would also have longer lasting lifespan, ability to charge 100% repeatedly with no degradation, and elimination of volatile chemistry with much higher safety level.

There are no batteries without degradation.

Reactions: Horty4 and kabin
The model is called "model Y AWD", not SR.

Maybe, but tesla changed the name of the model 3 SR+ to "model 3 RWD". its a lower range model Y than the "Model Y Long range" and "Model Y performance".

What I find interesting is, I wonder what all the people who have been clamoring for "I want giga texas model Y!" think about the fact that, most of them seemed to be expecting a longer range version of the vehicle, and perhaps faster, and what it actually is currently is shorter range, and slower.

No - this is the Texas 4680 structural pack, using NMC chemistry
Aren't the 4680s supposed to increase both power and range? Instead there's roughly 20% range loss and a slight downtick in power, or uptick in weight (again pointing to LFP - the F is Fe, as in iron, which is rather heavy) causing the 0-60 to drop to 5 seconds flat from 4.8 seconds for the LR AWD.

Also, NMC chemistry is worse in terms of initial calendar degradation than either NCA or LFP when stored at high temperatures, as can be seen in the graphs in the Model 3 Battery & Charging forum posted by @AAKEE . At 25C (77F) they are quite comparable, at 50F (122F), the NMC drops off a cliff, especially at 70%+ SoC.

IMO Tesla just try to suck people away from buying MYLR which may have a lower profit margin than that of new model that they offer which is mainly for around TX plant at present? and initially for internal employee to sort out the bugs

No I keep waiting for MYLR, 4680 battery pack means very little to me from engineering standpoint

Yes, Tesla had intended 4680 physical format and continuous tab design to increase energy density of the overall pack (in part by reducing redundant packaging). It does not look like they've fully accomplished that so far, and what we have in the MYAWD is a 279 mile range pack that has fewer cells than the theoretical full pack design, but weighs about equal to existing 2170 MYLR pack. And it's NMC chemistry. The only use of LFP at Tesla is Standard-Range packs using pouch-cell design.

Reactions: E90alex
The faster charging & lighter weight of the 4680 is what interests me. I also want the stiffer/safer structural pack. I don't think Fremont has the front casting/structural pack yet.

No doubt someone will mention the potentially higher repair cost of front/rear castings and structural pack. I haven't had an accident in years. That's my auto insurance's problem.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
I got an option to move to MY AWD (4680 pack). Are there folks who have taken this option? I am local in Austin, and was on MYP (June mid EDD)

It sounds like the main benefit at this time is if you will get your Y sooner. The wait for a Fremont Y with equivalent range, is close to a year.

Yes, there are benefits, but new designs typically have more issues. The benefits to cost might be lower at this time, since most people think it's a little over priced.