Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Given the most recent price cuts (April 19) what is the advantage of buying the Model Y LR instead of the SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MY AWD is recommended to be charged to 100% regularly per Tesla. This is because software limits it's range not the battery chemistry so your not actually "topping off" the battery and therefore can get more of the advertised range. When comparing to MYLR at 90% charge you're really only getting about 17 miles more per charge.
If this was true, i find it odd that when i set the charging limit to anything above 90% (If i need it to be as full as possible because i have a long drive ahead) when i stop the charge it will say that it is not good to have the charge limit set above 90 for every day use, and suggest that it be allowed to lower it to max 90%

That's what they told me the other day via texting them. Confirmed it in store as well with Service Tech.
If you have the SR with the smaller capacity battery pack, this is true as far as i know, those batteries have no problem being at 100% all the time, but the LR (AWD) has different battery chemistry with a higher density, that does not like being at 100% a lot.

If you have the SR with the smaller capacity battery pack, this is true as far as i know, those batteries have no problem being at 100% all the time, but the LR (AWD) has different battery chemistry with a higher density, that does not like being at 100% a lot.
They stated the following "
Hi Daniel,

there is a lot of hype and bloggers that will guide you differently, however, Tesla recommends charging the RWD Model 3 and AWD Model Y up to 100% because these batteries show better performance charging to 100% and we recommend 90% for the long range and performance Models"

The MY AWD is Standard Range and different from the LR

Hi Daniel,

there is a lot of hype and bloggers that will guide you differently, however, Tesla recommends charging the RWD Model 3 and AWD Model Y up to 100% because these batteries show better performance charging to 100% and we recommend 90% for the long range and performance Models"

My only advice is.

Do not do that to the Long Range, until you get a second opinion.

That rep is definitively wrong to include the AWD in this statement. The statement seems to be correct for the RWD.

From Tesla's own website

What percentage should I charge the battery to?

For regular use, we recommend keeping your car set within the 'Daily' range bracket, up to approximately 90%. Charging up to 100% is best saved for when you are preparing for a longer trip. You can adjust how full the battery charges from the charge settings menu.

• Disagree
Reactions: dfwatt
My only advice is.

Do not do that to the Long Range, until you get a second opinion.

That rep is definitively wrong to include the AWD in this statement. The statement seems to be correct for the RWD.

From Tesla's own website

What percentage should I charge the battery to?

For regular use, we recommend keeping your car set within the 'Daily' range bracket, up to approximately 90%. Charging up to 100% is best saved for when you are preparing for a longer trip. You can adjust how full the battery charges from the charge settings menu.
I'm reconfirming. Like I mentioned it appears to be a software cap for the 279 range and not a physical battery cap with the 4680 battery so 100 charge doesn't mean the battery is actually at full capacity just means it's at the max of what they'll allow but I'll advise what they share when they respond back.

Reactions: dfwatt
That's what they told me the other day via texting them. Confirmed it in store as well with Service Tech.
You’ve been told wrong.

Read the Model Y owners manual which is frankly the only authoritative source on charging recommendations.

4680 batteries are not LFP chemistry and thus not subject to the recommendation to regularly charge to 100%.

There is no evidence whatsoever that 4680 batteries are software locked to a lower capacity.

Literally none of what you said is true. Todd at the service center did you dirty.

I'm reconfirming. Like I mentioned it appears to be a software cap for the 279 range and not a physical battery cap with the 4680 battery so 100 charge doesn't mean the battery is actually at full capacity just means it's at the max of what they'll allow but I'll advise what they share when they respond back.
Offcourse there is a buffer, but this is mostly to be able to "unlock" it when the capacity drops, to keep you well above the 70% limit where they need to start replacing the batteries under warranty.

Another question you could ask the rep.

Why is it that on the SR, there are no indications of what is "Daily driving" and "Longer trips", but on the LR, there is.

What is the meaning behind showing these limits, if there is no problem.

I agree with ucmndd, that sales rep is wrong, and it would be in Tesla's best interest to get him "re-educated", he is potentially making them liable when you toast your battery very fast by going to 100% all the time and it drops below the 70% capacity. If they refuse and you can show them what he said, they might be liable for replacing the battery under warranty because of him.

Reactions: DanielR26
IMG_8862.jpeg

IMG_8861.jpeg

Reactions: GOVA

Charge the battery to the appropriate charge limit for your vehicle based on the installed battery. To adjust the charge limit for your vehicle, open the Charging screen on your touchscreen and then touch ‘Set Limit’ or open the Charging screen in your mobile app and drag the slider.
  • For Rear-Wheel Drive vehicles,
    If the image of the battery displays ‘50%’ and ‘100%’: Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also regularly charge your vehicle to 100%. If your vehicle has been parked for longer than a week, Tesla recommends driving your vehicle as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.

If the image of the Battery displays ‘Daily’ and ‘Trip’: keep the full charge limit of the battery to under 90% for daily use by using the mobile app or vehicle’s touchscreen to set charge limit within the ‘Daily’ range. If you need the full range (i.e. 100%) of your battery for a long-distance trip, you can increase the limit to the ‘Trip’ range (>90%) as necessary.
  • For All-Wheel Drive vehicles, keep the full charge limit of the battery to under 90% for daily use by using the mobile app or vehicle’s touchscreen to set charge limit within the ‘Daily’ range. If you need the full range (i.e. 100%) of your battery for a long-distance trip, you can increase the limit to the ‘Trip’ range (>90%) as necessary.

You’ve been told wrong.

Read the Model Y owners manual which is frankly the only authoritative source on charging recommendations.

4680 batteries are not LFP chemistry and thus not subject to the recommendation to regularly charge to 100%.

There is no evidence whatsoever that 4680 batteries are software locked to a lower capacity.

Literally none of what you said is true. Todd at the service center did you dirty

Offcourse there is a buffer, but this is mostly to be able to "unlock" it when the capacity drops, to keep you well above the 70% limit where they need to start replacing the batteries under warranty.

Another question you could ask the rep.

Why is it that on the SR, there are no indications of what is "Daily driving" and "Longer trips", but on the LR, there is.

What is the meaning behind showing these limits, if there is no problem.

I agree with ucmndd, that sales rep is wrong, and it would be in Tesla's best interest to get him "re-educated", he is potentially making them liable when you toast your battery very fast by going to 100% all the time and it drops below the 70% capacity. If they refuse and you can show them what he said, they might be liable for replacing the battery under warranty because of him.

This is some information deducting the size of the battery capacity wise for the 4680's would support that it is software limited.

Reactions: vickh
This is some information deducting the size of the battery capacity wise for the 4680's would support that it is software limited.
This is simply speculation and pontification. As I said, there’s zero evidence. The 4680 pack does not behave like any other software limited Tesla battery so there’s little reason to believe this is the case.

Hi Daniel,

Rep is right about RWD Model 3 but seems to conflating the LFP battery to base AWD Y (unless TSLA changed that recently)

Which PHX location?

If I might interject- We have a few members here from outside of North America. I believe I have heard there are different configurations of the Y elsewhere.

In China I heard ( maybe falsely) there are Model Ys with only RWD using LFP battery packs. If they are exporting a few of these cars to other countries, there could be some validity to the claims...or not. Maybe someone else can confirm. LFP would make sense because that pack is commonly used in RWD cars.

In NA though, only MYAWD is sold and that car only has 4680. Misleading terminology IMHO because MYLR is also AWD, but it sounds better than "standard range".

This is simply speculation and pontification. As I said, there’s zero evidence. The 4680 pack does not behave like any other software limited Tesla battery so there’s little reason to believe this is the case.
There is actually one little piece of evidence...
MYs with 4680 have full regen at 99.5% charge, which, if I recall correctly, is not the case for LR or Perf models...

Attachments

• IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: DanielR26
There is actually one little piece of evidence...
MYs with 4680 have full regen at 99.5% charge, which, if I recall correctly, is not the case for LR or Perf models...
If that is independently confirmed then that pretty much clinches that the battery pack in the base AWD model is software limited to its 279 Mi range. All the authoritative posters on this thread who are adamant that you cannot charge regularly past 90% without damaging the battery have not considered the strong possibility that the 4680 pack is software restricted to accessing its bottom 80% or so. If this is the case I wish Tesla would clarify that but I suspect that they don't want this information out there because of the Osborne effect. This of course means that at some point you can software unlock the extra range making the long range actually the less rangey version of the car. If this was publicly available information I suspect sales of the long range car might crater. Still bad practice not to disclose this if it's the case.

• Disagree
Reactions: vickh and ucmndd
If that is independently confirmed then that pretty much clinches that the battery pack in the base AWD model is software limited to its 279 Mi range. All the authoritative posters on this thread who are adamant that you cannot charge regularly past 90% without damaging the battery have not considered the strong possibility that the 4680 pack is software restricted to accessing its bottom 80% or so. If this is the case I wish Tesla would clarify that but I suspect that they don't want this information out there because of the Osborne effect. This of course means that at some point you can software unlock the extra range making the long range actually the less rangey version of the car. If this was publicly available information I suspect sales of the long range car might crater. Still bad practice not to disclose this if it's the case.

Maybe, but you have been around Tesla and here long enough to know that it is... lets just call it "very common / not unusual at all" for a Tesla Service Center employee to give someone information / instructions that completely differ from what reality is.

I dont have any horse in this race at all (my wifes model Y is a 2022 Model Y Performance, and my own car is a 2018 Model 3 Performance) but Im gonna need to see more than some service center employee say "yeah its ok to charge a model Y to 100% all the time, to actually believe that might be the case.

As with all things though, an individual owner is free to do what they want to, but I certainly wouldnt believe that statement. Note, I am not saying I dont believe @DanielR26 was told that by someone, far from it. I am just saying that i am not taking any "charging recommendation" at ALL from a Tesla service center employee, knowing what I know about tesla over my ownership time.

I also dont believe these things tesla employees do are malicious in any way, but many times they are misguided.

In any case, if an owner of these vehicles wants to charge it to 100% all the time, and it doesnt generate a "hey we notice you are charging to 100% frequently" pop up, then go for it. I would be interested to hear if it does generate that pop up message though (the one that appears when you set charge to 100% more than 2-3 days in a row on a non LFP tesla). I am betting it does, but I dont know.

Maybe, but you have been around Tesla and here long enough to know that it is... lets just call it "very common / not unusual at all" for a Tesla Service Center employee to give someone information / instructions that completely differ from what reality is.

I dont have any horse in this race at all (my wifes model Y is a 2022 Model Y Performance, and my own car is a 2018 Model 3 Performance) but Im gonna need to see more than some service center employee say "yeah its ok to charge a model Y to 100% all the time, to actually believe that might be the case.

As with all things though, an individual owner is free to do what they want to, but I certainly wouldnt believe that statement. Note, I am not saying I dont believe @DanielR26 was told that by someone, far from it. I am just saying that i am not taking any "charging recommendation" at ALL from a Tesla service center employee, knowing what I know about tesla over my ownership time.

I also dont believe these things tesla employees do are malicious in any way, but many times they are misguided.

In any case, if an owner of these vehicles wants to charge it to 100% all the time, and it doesnt generate a "hey we notice you are charging to 100% frequently" pop up, then go for it. I would be interested to hear if it does generate that pop up message though (the one that appears when you set charge to 100% more than 2-3 days in a row on a non LFP tesla). I am betting it does, but I dont know.
Good points of course. Another consideration would be what is its charge rate as it nears an indicated 100%? If it's still accepting say something like 50 - 60 kilowatt hours of power that would also become an argument for the battery being software limited to its bottom 80% or so. We still lack definitive data. It never made sense however that a 55+ KWh pack of 4680 cells ended up with a car weighing almost identical to a non-structural battery pack with 82 KW hours or so of 2170 cells.

Last edited:

the MY-AWD battery is NOT software limited.
Please review the Munro YT videos on the MY-AWD structural battery pack teardown.
they calculate the energy capacity of the pack and compare that to the Tesla stated specs.
it matches up to the claimed 279 mile range.

The MY-AWD structural battery pack is composed of 4680 batteries, which are NOT LFP chemistry.
consequently the charging protocol is the same as that for the MYLR, etc, NOT like the MY-RWD (SR).
the MY-AWD is NOT the same as the MY-RWD (SR).

you have been misled if you're thinking anything stated above isn't true.