Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof and tinted windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a model S 90D in black. I would really like dark tinted windows. However, I also ordered the glass roof. Should I tent the roof? Would that look funny if it was not tinted?

solar20roof.png

Really guys? rw86347, you said you wanted to "tent" the roof (you obviously meant "tint" the roof) so that's why Pando is responding that way.
I tinted my Pano and I like it, I think I went too dark, 15%, but I would recommend a light tint to keep the sun off your head and keep cooling to a minimum.

• Disagree
Reactions: CHG-ON
Really guys? rw86347, you said you wanted to "tent" the roof (you obviously meant "tint" the roof) so that's why Pando is responding that way.
I tinted my Pano and I like it, I think I went too dark, 15%, but I would recommend a light tint to keep the sun off your head and keep cooling to a minimum.

Oh sorry, was 15% too dark because it already had tint or because 15% is just plain dark?

• Disagree
Reactions: Venomized
If the glass roof is like the Pano Roof, and I expect it is, it will be heavily tinted from the factory. Looks almost like a black roof. Whether or not to tint it will be up to you, but most don't need extra tint on the pano roof.

the factory tint is fairly dark. i tinted our first MS pano roof super dark to further reduce glare and reject heat.

if you are worried about uniformity from the outside, don't be. i tinted our new one 35% on the sides, but 15% (even darker) on the rear hatch and it looks great with the pano with factory tint.

I just ordered a model S 90D in black. I would really like dark tinted windows. However, I also ordered the glass roof. Should I tent the roof? Would that look funny if it was not tinted?

View attachment 203993
I was quite disappointed when I saw the picture of this car on the inside. I thought that the view of the driver was tremendously hampered because of the A-frame pillar across the top. I was thinking that this panoramic option would look much like the MX glass roof tops.

I was quite disappointed when I saw the picture of this car on the inside. I thought that the view of the driver was tremendously hampered because of the A-frame pillar across the top. I was thinking that this panoramic option would look much like the MX glass roof tops.

I *think* they either need an A pillar that goes across or a B pillar that goes across. Because this has an optional sun roof I doubt you will ever see a panoramic roof.

It is not advertised or claimed to be panoramic like the Model X. It is just a fixed glass roof instead of the opening panoramic roof. To do what you are asking would require a significant engineering undertaking. The crossbar you mention is the same for both roof versions. Only difference is the center bar is removed for the fixed glass roof.

I have been the first aide to an accident barely survived by the occupant but not the animal after their (Ford) car running into a horse, with the A pillar cross bar moving all the way back to their forehead and knocking them unconscious but not killing them. Always a fan of the 60s light glass house elegance until then, I have tended to be much more sympathetic towards a strong A pillar/ A pillar crossbar since then. Any of the moose state inhabitants want to chime in on this one?

Reactions: dgpcolorado

what rw86347 said.

The front windshield of the X is only possible by the structural integrity provided by the longitudinal spine that is the roof/ falcon wind door hinge point (personally i suspect this part is built extremely rigid and strong)
The model S in its (current iteration) doesn't have this support, so its likely not possible.

They already give up the support of the cross bar to make this glass roof feature. Any more compromise and you would give up safety.