Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess. If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't have even noticed that my (soon to be) car is different than earlier models. They've likely changed suppliers for many parts. It's complete speculation here that the specs of the glass have changed even if the appearance has. If it's proven the glass is inferior to older glass, then have it and get Tesla to do something about it, but otherwise it's 4 pages of noise.
Well, there's also that the roof glass is orange and the back glass is not when wet. I am not sure if people signed up for mismatched pano glass panels... I didn't and wish they were just the same either with or without the color effect as long as the UV/IR protection is the same.

BTW, this seems like something good for Eletrek or one of those groups to look into if anyone knows them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian N
I may be wrong, and its happened a lot in the past but UV is what causes you to have a sun tan, Infra Red radiation is what causes things to get hot. I'm not sure that concentrating on UV performance is what the focus should be.
Not sure what tesla’s response would be. But in my experience, they provided you a UV and IR protective windshield and roof glass (if that’s what they advertised). The orange glow is simply a result of that effect and was not advertised as a feature of the vehicle.

If Tesla replaces any of these windshields or compensates customers because of an undesirable appearance, then they are providing a goodwill

I may be wrong, and its happened a lot in the past but UV is what causes you to have a sun tan, Infra Red radiation is what causes things to get hot. I'm not sure that concentrating on UV performance is what the focus should be.

They are both important I think to many of us since we were told they were both there on the Model 3. I live in a hot inland area with many days of full sun. Care about the UV protection but also very much care about the IR heat reduction, especially for greater heat protection for the electronics.

Reactions: nvx1977
I don't disagree. Someone who is concerned about this should go get their glass tested for IR and report back, ideally comparing with another owner with the different glass. Otherwise, this thread is generating unsubstantiated information that then gets taken as fact.

Not sure I agree with that. It makes people aware there might be a change here. Not like Tesla has come out noting any changes to the glass roof on the Model 3. People have asked service and they still feel left up in the air about it. I know Tesla changes things up all the time and I have to wonder if it's also possible with trying to get production levels up if these changes happened due to needing to fill more orders and more outsourcing was done. Many companies will have several suppliers and tolerances etc can vary slightly. I'm also aware that Tesla recently said it was negotiating contract prices because things when they were delivered weren't correct. Could this be one of those instances he was referring to? Would be helpful if we heard something definitive from Tesla and not a service manager. Should be ready to pick up my car shortly and want to know for sure what is being delivered to me.

I dont understand what Garland wrote about 4 manufactures and what part of the glass 3M makes.

And it doesn’t answer the half colored glass cars.

I called Tesla Customer Service in Freemont and they provided the same exact answer as the Service Center with 2 additional facts.

UV is the film that provides the Red look - As the service center said

There are 2 layers of film sandwiched between the 2 pieces of tempered glass.

1. IR with / Adhesive to hold glass pieces together when glass shatters.
2. UV with / Adhesive to hold glass pieces together when glass shatters.

I'm told that the IR film is standard and identical in every car and made by Guardian (whoever that is) - including the Front windshield at the top. The varying layer in each of the 3 pieces of glass is the UV layer - made by different companies.

Then I went back to the Westmont Service Center on the way home and they said....."I knew you would be back". We laughed and I said...."absolutely - I work right down the street". To be honest with you....I think I have actually sold 5 Tesla's there in the past 2.5 weeks of ownership. I should get those applied to my referral code...lol -

Anyway.....

They showed me at the service center on the showroom floor - that on their Model S there is a 3M yellow tinted UV film on the entire front windshield. They sprayed it with glass cleaner....and whallaa…..there it is. Yellow on the front windshield. Additionally - the model S has 4 pieces of glass and the rear UV of all Model S's have a sliver layer as shown in the Red Model S pic I took in this photo.
The Model X in the store had both a red UV at the top and yellow UV the rest of the way down the front windshield. It showed up clearly when they sprayed glass cleaner on it.

I was able to capture 4 UV colors below:
Silver on the Model S back / Blue on the top. ( looks like a real "American" red-white-blue car lol)
Red on the Blue Model 3. ( Also red-white-blue -lol)
Clear on the back / Red on the top of my white on white Model 3. ( I don't have any blue....I suppose I'm not American)

Over-all....its a very unplanned - American ( red/white/blue) picture. I'm going to keep it.
20180829_123542.jpg

Bottom line. The color of the UV film can be red/orange/yellow/silver/blue or a graduated combination of all of them. The IR layer is standard and NON colored.

Some people think the red UV layer is cool looking. Some people think the red/clear UV combination is cool. The bottom line is what Tesla thought was cool/good looking.

Personally I thought the all red was cool....until today....I NEED clear. The RED on the glass above the drivers head is enough RED for me. I wouldn't like red on the back glass.

That's enough about glass for me. I never thought I would have been taught so much about glass in my entire life.
Cudos to all of the Westmont Tesla Store Service and Sales folks for helping me out today. I know many of you said you would read my article. I hope I represented your demo's and facts well here. As you know...I'll be back tomorrow if nothing more than to just visit....and sell more cars...lol.

Last edited:
So exciting/suspenseful for folks that haven't taken delivery. Folks that are expecting a certain iridescence might or might not get what they are expecting. Another example of the Tesla box of chocolates.

Indeed. Allow me to correct the Dialog in the clip below. Play the video and Read along.

Hello .........My name is Elon - Elon Musk
You want a Tesla?
I could build about a Million and a Half of these
My moma always said....I ( Tesla ) was like a box of chocolates....
You never know what you're gonna get.

LOL!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: MXWing