Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've thought long and hard about this so I went to the Westmont Il service center about 2 hours ago. As luck would have it.....There were 2 earlier model 3's there as well as mine.

Blue Model 3 - Full back Red colored glass in the rain.
White P3D+ ( mine ) - No Red look at all on the rear.
Black P3D demo driver car - Half Red colored glass in the rain.

Below is a pic of My car and the Blue one to the right.

View attachment 330152

I was vehemently presenting my case that I was missing some kind of UV coating or something. The service manager and I went back to the Tesla Parts computer and he looked up what rear window belonged on the back of my car. After searching and searching we found it. xx-A2 is the part number that showed up on the left (drivers side) of the rear window right above the C-pillar. Then we went back to my car and found the number and sure enough I have a xx-A2 window. I then went to the blue model 3 next to me and it was also xx-a2.

I was thinking.....what's going on here? Then after further research on the Tesla Service Computer we found that there are 4 different manufacturers of that rear window. The company that made my P3D+ window film that is sandwiched between to the 2 pieces of glass that comprise of the rear window is 3M. We were only able to look that up via the VIN.
Tesla had some kind of uv light meter and I was able to compare the uv light from my rear window and the blue cars rear window and the light meter showed the exact same numbers. We then took the light meter to a Model S CPO 2013 Model S rear window and the numbers of the meter were doubled ( more uv coming through). Interesting.
So.....the Customer service manager suggested to me that if I ever have to replace the rear glass in my Model 3 to remind the Tesla Service Center to replace the glass with the glass assigned to my VIN because the rear window part numbers are all the same.

Then the Customer manager asked me an ALL IMPORTANT QUESTION....that I could only answer after seeing all 3 cars together.

I have a White on White P3D+ FSD Model 3. He asked..."Out of all three versions of the rear window....with your white seats and all...….Which window would you have ordered?".

Without hesitation I responded "The one I have".

I said this because even when the rain stops( on the full red window as well as the half red window) ….the red of the red window blocks out the ability to see the color of the interior. I want to be able to see my white seats from the rear. Its beautiful.

Case closed for me.

This is great information. Except.... What about the back glass that I have seen in some of these pics that are only partially red? It would stand to reason for me that, even with 4 different manufacturers that red tint would be an either/or thing.

I just cannot believe they did this on purpose. It makes no sense to change the process on the rear window and leave the front one the same. It also doesn’t look good.
I agree, I'm upset about this. I called service center and discussed it, they has no explanation and said they would look into it. I already had an appointment to bring my car in next week so we added this to the other to cover while the car is there. I'm unsure that anyone really knows whats going at this point. Its a bummer to say the least, the glass doesn't match and we don't know if the protective properties are different or not, these are independent but important items to me. Its an all glass roof and I expected the glass pieces to match and they do not. I also don't want more heat, I was concerned about heat to begin with and now more so. its depressing to spend $70K and not get what I expected to get.

I agree, I'm upset about this. I called service center and discussed it, they has no explanation and said they would look into it. I already had an appointment to bring my car in next week so we added this to the other to cover while the car is there. I'm unsure that anyone really knows whats going at this point. Its a bummer to say the least, the glass doesn't match and we don't know if the protective properties are different or not, these are independent but important items to me. Its an all glass roof and I expected the glass pieces to match and they do not. I also don't want more heat, I was concerned about heat to begin with and now more so. its depressing to spend $70K and not get what I expected to get.

Umm, did you not read Garlan Garner's post a few above yours (#78)?

• Disagree
Reactions: SoCalGuy
4 pages of speculation and people jumping to conclusions. Perhaps someone who is concerned that their passengers/kids/dogs are going to burn up without UV coating on the glass can take their car to a glass shop and have it tested for UV protection?

EDIT: Garlan Garner delivers! Great info!
Is the orange on the roof related to UV or IR, does anyone know this answer for sure?

Just to be very clear I love my car, its amazing, I just didn't expect to have two different kinds of glass making up the roof. Dual motor Midnight Silver Metallic.

Same build and same (differing) glass... I just want them to be the same at this point... Provided all the iterations offer the same UV protection, I don't really care if they both don't have the cool effect or if they do... I'd just like them to match.

Same build and same (differing) glass... I just want them to be the same at this point... Provided all the iterations offer the same UV protection, I don't really care if they both don't have the cool effect or if they do... I'd just like them to match.

I agree with this. Also, would have been nice to have some communication about this...but I've realized in dealing with Tesla that communication is not their strong suit...or a suit they own at all. :rolleyes:

Reactions: super20g
Tesla had some kind of uv light meter and I was able to compare the uv light from my rear window and the blue cars rear window and the light meter showed the exact same numbers. We then took the light meter to a Model S CPO 2013 Model S rear window and the numbers of the meter were doubled ( more uv coming through). Interesting.
Thank you Garlan. Actual data demonstrating that whether the glass looks orange in the rain or not, it blocks the same amount of UV. And that the glass is much better than what Tesla was using in 2013.

@Garlan's post is certainly informative and very appreciated. However, I think there's still an important question that Tesla hasn't answered: IR blocking.

Note that UV blocking is usually built into the glass. Therefore, whether or not the glass roof has coating has nothing to do with the % of UV blocked. IR blocking, however, is completely based on the coating. A case in point is the 3M Crystalline film that I use for my existing cars. If you look at the specs, they are very similar to the lower-priced films EXCEPT they block 97% of the infrared rays which makes a HUGE difference in cabin temperature. Therefore, IF the "new" non-colored window does not have the IR coating, it's certainly a step backward and should be investigated.

Thank you Garlan. Actual data demonstrating that whether the glass looks orange in the rain or not, it blocks the same amount of UV. And that the glass is much better than what Tesla was using in 2013.
I may be wrong, and its happened a lot in the past but UV is what causes you to have a sun tan, Infra Red radiation is what causes things to get hot. I'm not sure that concentrating on UV performance is what the focus should be.

@Garlan's post is certainly informative and very appreciated. However, I think there's still an important question that Tesla hasn't answered: IR blocking.

Note that UV blocking is usually built into the glass. Therefore, whether or not the glass roof has coating has nothing to do with the % of UV blocked. IR blocking, however, is completely based on the coating. A case in point is the 3M Crystalline film that I use for my existing cars. If you look at the specs, they are very similar to the lower-priced films EXCEPT they block 97% of the infrared rays which makes a HUGE difference in cabin temperature. Therefore, IF the "new" non-colored window does not have the IR coating, it's certainly a step backward and should be investigated.
Agreed

Reactions: Brian N
Therefore, IF the "new" non-colored window does not have the IR coating, it's certainly a step backward and should be investigated.

I don't disagree. Someone who is concerned about this should go get their glass tested for IR and report back, ideally comparing with another owner with the different glass. Otherwise, this thread is generating unsubstantiated information that then gets taken as fact.

Reactions: brkaus
I don't disagree. Someone who is concerned about this should go get their glass tested for IR and report back, ideally comparing with another owner with the different glass. Otherwise, this thread is generating unsubstantiated information that then gets taken as fact.

There's actually a quite simple way to test this. Those infrared temp guns would do. AFAIK the front glass still has that orange hue. So all one needs to do is to let the car sit under the sun for a bit say 30 mins w/o AC, then point that thermometer at both the front and the back glass and compare. If there's a significant difference in temp readings then you have your answer right there.

Wouldn't it be nice if Tesla just told us what is going on? It would go a long way to solving everything.

Reactions: Big-T
Wouldn't it be nice if Tesla just told us what is going on? It would go a long way to solving everything.
Why should they? They made the switch from Alcantara like material to cloth late last year...folks complained like they are now with this change...but in the end sales kept going up. Its not like we have a choice...just enjoy the car.

Last edited:

I guess. If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't have even noticed that my (soon to be) car is different than earlier models. They've likely changed suppliers for many parts. It's complete speculation here that the specs of the glass have changed even if the appearance has. If it's proven the glass is inferior to older glass, then have it and get Tesla to do something about it, but otherwise it's 4 pages of noise.