Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also...the Model 3 glass is NOT hotter than the Model S and X"s glass. That's just not true at all. I proved this with a heat gun in another thread.

Just my observation, I feel more heat coming through my Model 3 roof than the Model S loaner I had for a couple weeks.

Garlan: your test is only testing how much absorption of energy is happening in the glass. it is not testing refractivity (how much IR the glass is allowing to passing through). Radiative heat is not transferred until the electromagnetic (IR) wave hits something. People can absolutely feel more heat hitting their head despite the glass feeling cool (or same temp as S/X).

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Here was my comment followed by my service centers regarding the glass issue:

Me: "One concern I have is that the two glass roof/back panes do not match in their IR or UV treatment implementations as the roof glass turns red/orange when damp while the back glass does not. Provided the treatments are both present on both implementations, my preference would be to have glass that matched as I see on most other model 3's, whether they both have the red/orange color effect when damp, or they both do not, just if they matched it would be my preference over the mismatched glass. I have tint scheduled for tomorrow so if there is any way to get a response on how this is being handled, I would appreciate it."

Service Advisor: "Ok so I did spray down a couple Model 3’s on the lot and it does look like both pieces of glass should have that orange hue to it when wet. I have added the rear fixed glass to the order."

While this will solve my problem to desire matched glass panes, and the red/orange effect is kind of an interesting talking point I guess, it sounds like service centers do not have an understanding of why recent production models differ.

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r and C141medic
A heat gun is not what I am referring to, direct midday AZ sun straight over my head. I felt more immediate heat transfer to my head. I did not touch the glass. My S was out in the sun for 2 hrs and felt no heat transfer, vs instant heating of my head from a Model 3 coming out of a garage? Maybe need an infra-red french fry lamp test like the window guys use to test there different tints?

My theory? Thus far, every picture showing the color shift on the entire rear glass is a car with tinted windows. I think the rear glass is always all or none (well, except for that car that had a blotchy look a while back). The reason you don't see the color shift going all the way down on untinted cars is contrast: the light shifted from IR to visible and reflected is overpowered by the light you're seeing through the clear window. At least, that's my theory.
I think this is correct. Here is a pic with my car before tint. You can still see some red in the lower water droplets. I now have 50% tint applied, will have to take another photo next time she is wet. 04/18 build.
IMG_20180525_073049.jpg

I wonder if this could be our regulatory or Weibo I don’t also? For example, what if at some point “officials” or law-enforcement would say or state said they could not see through the rear windows on these cars due to this fact in place. Again, just a thought. This could happen to lead to a design change in the glass and the specific location where the layers in glass stop or are replaced where they are in specific spots.

My theory? Thus far, every picture showing the color shift on the entire rear glass is a car with tinted windows. I think the rear glass is always all or none (well, except for that car that had a blotchy look a while back). The reason you don't see the color shift going all the way down on untinted cars is contrast: the light shifted from IR to visible and reflected is overpowered by the light you're seeing through the clear window. At least, that's my theory.

I originally gave this a "Disagree" but it turns out I misread it, and it's absolutely correct. I have a midway-tinted rear glass. I just sprayed water over the tinted and untinted threshold. Sure enough, the red-to-yellow color appeared across all water droplets, not just the part over the tint. So anyone who has custom tinted their rear glass will probably see better the water droplet color change on the whole pane of glass. Feb 2018 build here.

upload_2018-8-30_13-18-9.png

As for the rear glass having no color refraction, still up in the air whether IR protection exists or not.

I hope people are all tweeting their pictures to Musk, to Tesla, to cleantech media journalists, etc, etc. This is heartbreaking, that's one of the coolest aesthetic things about the car. And it's always rainy here, too, to show it off!

As for people talking about whether people are "protected" from IR: You don't need "protection" from IR (specifically, we're talking NIR here). IR isn't ionizing radiation like UV. IR coatings are added because there's a significant amount of energy from the sun in the form of NIR, so by rejecting it, you keep the car cooler (where I am, where it's never hot, it'd actually be an advantage to not have the coating. ;) ). If anything, there's a number of studies showing that red light and NIR are good for the skin (they have an effect on keratin expression), incl. wound healing.

Reactions: Brian N
I hope people are all tweeting their pictures to Musk, to Tesla, to cleantech media journalists, etc, etc. This is heartbreaking, that's one of the coolest aesthetic things about the car. And it's always rainy here, too, to show it off!

As for people talking about whether people are "protected" from IR: You don't need "protection" from IR (specifically, we're talking NIR here). IR isn't ionizing radiation like UV. IR coatings are added because there's a significant amount of energy from the sun in the form of NIR, so by rejecting it, you keep the car cooler (where I am, where it's never hot, it'd actually be an advantage to not have the coating. ;) ). If anything, there's a number of studies showing that red light and NIR are good for the skin (they have an effect on keratin expression), incl. wound healing.

yep. stuff to the right of the spectrum = bad. stuff to the left (IR, microwave, radio) = not bad (except at high intensities, at which point visible light can be bad too, like a powerful laser).

Hopefully when we say IR protection in this thread, we're just talking about reducing cabin heat buildup.