Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was delivered July 3rd.

I noticed this the other day (first day it rained!) and thought it was interesting so I took a picture.

View attachment 330606
Nice pic as an example. Looking at both examples of windows...my OCD would really bug me if I had the two toned version....especially if I'm dropping 49k+. Yeah...both meet "spec"....but aesthetically they are different IMHO. Hope y'all that have yet to take delivery can live with the "worst".

Ok. I figured out a way to test this and will try to do that when I take delivery next month. All we need to do is to get/borrow a common BTU meter like this (costs about $100 but I'm gonna borrow one from a home window tinter friend), park the car under the sun, and point the meter at both the front glass roof and the rear glass roof. Using a $15 IR thermometer would probably also work but less accurate. You can see how the BTU meter test is done from this youtube video. The readings are instant and quite accurate as it measures the thermal output per sq. inch of glass. If the rear glass has no IR coating then the BTU output would be above 200 in a sunny day. If under 100 then it would still have some protection. Note with 3M Crystalline it drops to about 30.

My car was delivered July 3rd.

I noticed this the other day (first day it rained!) and thought it was interesting so I took a picture.

View attachment 330606

Prime example of this has to be a cost cutting effort. Otherwise it’s either all of none. People say they changed the film to be clear IR coat from red. But why is this only half? They changed it to half red half clear? It seriously points to earlier glass having full coating of something. Then they gradually went to half to cut cost. Then said forget it! There’s no law that says we need to provide this type of coating. Cut it out!

Reactions: CuriousM3
Wait... people are getting perfectly fine glass replaced at service centers? Was there a defect with their glass?
Based on my reading of this thread, no one has offered convincing proof of a “defect” other than a subjective aesthetic judgement that they want all the glass to look the same when wet. When dry the difference is not visually detectable.

I’m amazed that some Tesla Service Centers seem to be willing to change the rear glass panel when — in my opinion — there is no defect. But then there have been some reports that when the Service Centers got the replacement glass it was the same as the glass already in the car, so there was no reason to change it.

The key question to me is, does the glass that is not orange when wet have different IR reflection and UV absorption characteristics than the glass that is orange when wet? So far, I’m not convinced that it is different. I need more data.

Prime example of this has to be a cost cutting effort. Otherwise it’s either all of none. People say they changed the film to be clear IR coat from red. But why is this only half? They changed it to half red half clear? It seriously points to earlier glass having full coating of something. Then they gradually went to half to cut cost. Then said forget it! There’s no law that says we need to provide this type of coating. Cut it out!

My guess is that it is for better visibility out the back of the car?

I love my car. I have no complaints about this. The red looked kind of cool.

• Informative
Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
Its really about IR heat rejection. This feature would seem to be an integral requirement with an all-glass roof design. Would be bonkers if the new glass doesn't have it in some form or fashion.

Oh maybe they tried to save money and went half way. Then said it’s still too expensive. Let’s find another solution. So they found a new more cost effective solution!? Yay for all.

• Disagree
Reactions: Insilin
I’m going to throw in another wrench here just to mess with everyone bc ultimately, I think the thread is quite amusing... ESP people willing to risk swapping the roof glass all for a color or potential (Emphasize POTENTIAL until someone tests to confirm) IR / heat transparency. Personally, IF and IF the glass with ‘clear’ parts does NOT block IR, I would rather spend $XXX for higher performing window tint than risk proper installation/placement of critical roof glass. I’ve heard of nightmares with just a sunroof fix!

A few posts back (probably pages ago) I posted my PM3+ here it is again.. It’s the MSM one. THEN, here’s my buddie’s RWD M3! :) Let’s discuss! ;)

Attachments

• B6DC1144-2E1A-45BB-8A25-4EE20C2771E1.jpeg
    B6DC1144-2E1A-45BB-8A25-4EE20C2771E1.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 8F1E8B9F-FC78-4AD6-B7FB-D0963D6DBFA2.jpeg
    8F1E8B9F-FC78-4AD6-B7FB-D0963D6DBFA2.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 105
I’m going to throw in another wrench here just to mess with everyone bc ultimately, I think the thread is quite amusing... ESP people willing to risk swapping the roof glass all for a color or potential (Emphasize POTENTIAL until someone tests to confirm) IR / heat transparency. Personally, IF and IF the glass with ‘clear’ parts does NOT block IR, I would rather spend $XXX for higher performing window tint than risk proper installation/placement of critical roof glass. I’ve heard of nightmares with just a sunroof fix!

A few posts back (probably pages ago) I posted my PM3+ here it is again.. It’s the MSM one. THEN, here’s my buddie’s RWD M3! :) Let’s discuss! ;)

See the post above you. 292

also i think i want to remind folks that under most circumstances, the factory installed rear glass is preferable to any service center install done after the fact. you're risking other issues as this rear roof glass seems to be an integral part of the structure of the model 3.

it looks to me like the "halfway" one has some IR effect on the bottom half too. does yours have tint on the back and your buddy no tint? i've heard tinting the halfway rear glass brings out the IR effect throughout.

also i think i want to remind folks that under most circumstances, the factory installed rear glass is preferable to any service center install done after the fact. you're risking other issues as this rear roof glass seems to be an integral part of the structure of the model 3.

it looks to me like the "halfway" one has some IR effect on the bottom half too. does yours have tint on the back and your buddy no tint? i've heard tinting the halfway rear glass brings out the IR effect throughout.
This. Some people don’t know the can worms they can potentially open up replacement a glass panel. You risk creating potential water leaks, poor panel alignment. And worst of all, if any interior components have to come out during install, there’s a great chance that squeaks and rattles will start occurring from these components.

This is why I’d rather leave my glass be (or any other large repair to the body structure)

That's
This. Some people don’t know the can worms they can potentially open up replacement a glass panel. You risk creating potential water leaks, poor panel alignment. And worst of all, if any interior components have to come out during install, there’s a great chance that squeaks and rattles will start occurring from these components.

This is why I’d rather leave my glass be (or any other large repair to the body structure)
That's also a big if Tesla is still ordering any orange glowing glass panel or has any in stock.

The good news for me is being in SoCal, I don't have to worry about the glass getting wet and being orange or not orange.

Perhaps, but being is SoCal, I definitely want as much IR rejection as possible. If orange means IR rejection, then I need (want) it!

99% reduction of 100 is 1. 99% delta

99% reduction of 1 is .01 .099% incremental delta.

Numbers aren't exactly like that but an idea. Not enough to where I'm going to stress out with asking Tesla to replace glass for something not even verified to be a problem yet.

While your math is sound, it's only UV rejection that gets on the order of 99%+. Even for the best heat-rejection tint, IR rejection is in the low 90% and Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) is even less.

Nice pic as an example. Looking at both examples of windows...my OCD would really bug me if I had the two toned version....especially if I'm dropping 49k+. Yeah...both meet "spec"....but aesthetically they are different IMHO. Hope y'all that have yet to take delivery can live with the "worst".

Honestly, I would rather have two-toned rear glass than none at all. At least it matches up with the visible factory tint.

Reactions: CuriousM3
Perhaps, but being is SoCal, I definitely want as much IR rejection as possible. If orange means IR rejection, then I need (want) it!

While your math is sound, it's only UV rejection that gets on the order of 99%+. Even for the best heat-rejection tint, IR rejection is in the low 90% and Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) is even less.

Honestly, I would rather have two-toned rear glass than none at all. At least it matches up with the visible factory tint.
Why not make it consistent (all red/orange iridescence or non-iridescence) is my OCD issue. I guess it's no different than the tint strip at the top of most windshields...hmmm...

Why not make it consistent (all red/orange iridescence or non-iridescence) is my OCD issue. I guess it's no different than the tint strip at the top of most windshields...hmmm...

Obviously, most of us view orange top glass and all orange rear glass as consistent. I also consider orange top glass and half orange rear glass consistent as well because it matches up with the visible tint. I would absolutely prefer the former, but I would not consider the latter as unacceptable.

What is absolutely unacceptable is orange top glass and nothing at all on the rear glass. Might as well remove orange from the top glass as well! From a design perspective, I don't believe Elon or Franz would fine it acceptable either. Time will tell...

And my comments have nothing to do with IR rejection, only aesthetics.

With respect to IR rejection, I would be very upset if ANY of the top or rear glass was missing it. Not necessarily upset enough to insist that they change it out (due to the inherent risks of major surgery) but very upset nonetheless.

It is borderline irresponsible to produce a car with an all-glass roof without considering solar heat gain, especially when it's not a technological hurdle (i.e. Model S, Model X and early Model 3 already have it).

Come to think of it, if they can achieve an acceptable level of solar heat rejection without any orange coating at all, I would prefer that over all other options.