Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My theory? Thus far, every picture showing the color shift on the entire rear glass is a car with tinted windows. I think the rear glass is always all or none (well, except for that car that had a blotchy look a while back). The reason you don't see the color shift going all the way down on untinted cars is contrast: the light shifted from IR to visible and reflected is overpowered by the light you're seeing through the clear window. At least, that's my theory.

Before you disagree with people’s analysis, it might help for you to realize that tint is applied under the glass and is completely irrelevant to the phenomenon being discussed.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Before you disagree with people’s analysis, it might help for you to realize that tint is applied under the glass and is completely irrelevant to the phenomenon being discussed.
I disagree more with your posting style than your analysis. "Maybe you should get on Oprah, plead your case and maybe she will hook up all the disenfranchised Model 3 owners who have their civil rights violated by not having uniformally orange tinted glass when when wet and refracted by light?" Really?

But, since you took the time to find my post from thirteen pages ago... I fail to see how reducing the light shining through the glass does not increase the contrast of a relatively minor red-orange reflection. Yes, the tint is under the glass. So? It's still giving the surface coating a darker background.

Thanks for that clarification. Just to complete where those apply, is this correct?: The red beading is IR, the dark tint is UV, and where there is nothing on the glass -- mine has no red beading or tint at the bottom of the rear window -- that has no IR or UV, correct? And current production vehicles only have IR and UV on the middle roof, and not the rear window at all?
Hi Canuck. While there is of course a lot of speculation in this thread, some of which is stated as fact, in my opinion the red wet glass likely has IR reflective properties, but UV absorbing glass can be clear, and a dark tint simply indicates that less visible light passes through it compared to clear glass.

As to the various theories being posited as to why there appears to have been a change in the rear glass, they are all just theories. None have been proven to my satisfaction.

If my Dual Motor 3 arrives with roof glass that when wet is part red colored and part not...I don’t care. To me that is not a defect. What would be a defect is if there is a significant and noticeable difference — detectable on my upper body — in the heat transmission level of the front seat row roof glass compared to the rear seat row area. So far, I have not seen any posts in this thread stating that to be the case. Or maybe I missed them given that we are at 420 posts and counting...

I’ll miss the cool color but honestly just want to know if anyone tested it yet. Simple question, heat and UV blocking, still good? This thread was around 14 pages over the weekend and someone said they would test. I gather that hasn’t happened yet? Started skimming but honestly can’t be bothered to read with all the chatter sry.

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
E74BD029-663B-4DCF-AAED-3CD48D4BBA53.jpeg
Dont hate - love the rainy day blues, but probably wouldn’t be a deal breaker

Reactions: Jedi2155
I’ll miss the cool color but honestly just want to know if anyone tested it yet. Simple question, heat and UV blocking, still good?

Short version as I understand it:
UV was tested long ago and is not a concern - red or no red, all the same.
IR has had a simple test using TV remote, and on a half-and-half back window (upper part red, lower part not red), both portions block some IR. But actual quantitative IR testing on separate red vs. no red back window has not been done. Still waiting for someone with two Teslas and appropriate equipment to do that.

My car (August build, AWD non-performance, white interior) has red roof glass and non-red rear glass. I don't care about the color, but I'm kind of interested in whether IR blocking is any different, because it's very hot here in Las Vegas and better IR blocking should keep it naturally cooler inside and therefore be more efficient.

IR blocking is any different, because it's very hot here in Las Vegas and better IR blocking should keep it naturally cooler inside and therefore be more efficient.

Vegas is my second home. #vegasstrong

I highly recommend investing in the best IR tint possible as well as the Model 3 sunshade.

Whatever ends up in conclusion won’t matter if you implement the above.

Every time a discussion gets derailed to someone being able to pay in cash multiple cars, or six figure cars like it’s nothing, I truly would love for them to put their money where their mouth is. With proof.

Stock... lack of knowledge is just astounding sometimes. Really surprising.

Glass, has anyone gotten an official word from Tesla or see if there’s a common answer being given when people ask! Trust me when I say Tesla is used to strange/petty questions. They actually have answers for them.

Here’s another way to test if you have ir coating if you have a radar detector lying around.

Windshields, Testing for Radar Detector Range | Valentine Tech Reports | Radar Detectors | Valentine One | Radar Detectors

Park by one of those speed signs in your view out the back window.

If you have the best radar detector ever (valentine1) see if the rear arrows are picking up the sign. If not then point the detector back towards the rear glass. You can also stick the detector out the window to test signal strength.

If the detector picks up the source through your glass then you know there is no ir coating.

If Tesla engineers came out and said hey... you speed demons in your P3D’s need the half coated glass for your radar detectors to work then I’m ok with that... as long as the glass is half coated.

If this can be proven then it’s more than aesthetic, it’s more than quality control, it would make this a defect.

I’ll try it with my radar detector tomorrow... but my car has full ir coating... then I can try it on someone that doesn’t have the coating.

Why is it so hard for Tesla to just give an answer on the production change from full coverage to partial coverage to no coverage?

I asked my service advisor, he went out in the parking lot and sprayed down some cars, said the other 3's on the lot do show that effect on both panes of glass so mine must be missing something and ordered me a replacement. I told him to test the replacement when it arrives and let me know.

I would prefer both panels to match with or without the effect... But I really don't care to have the glass replaced if I just knew why the glass is now different and why they no longer match roof and back...

The slight red in the lower water droplets is coming from the red upper section.

Now that we've had a nice dew morning I got some more pics.

Here is the original pic with factory tint:
IMG_20180525_073049.jpg

And here is a couple pics after 50% aftermarket tint (llumar stratos):
IMG_20180904_073359.jpg
IMG_20180904_073410.jpg

So I believe there are no "half" IR red coatings, the full coating is just more obvious with aftermarket tint.