Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice. Does it still have a noticeable “line” where the factory tint starts/ends about halfway down the inside of the back glass? I wanted to figure out how to make it so it is not noticeable but I’m not sure that is possible unless they tinted the lower portion as dark as the factory and then the factory area with no tint all in one sheet haha.

The stock tint has a gradual fade. Aftermarket tint needs to be done in a single sheet if you don't want a line. Relevant info.

The stock tint has a gradual fade. Aftermarket tint needs to be done in a single sheet if you don't want a line. Relevant info.

That’s what I’m confused about though. In your example how does it not have a line or somewhatbof a line due to the gradual fade on the inside? You now have 50% on the area that was not factory tinted on the bottom and 50% applied ON TOP OF the area that was already tinted to probably 20% or something. How does one eliminate the gradual fade look? Or is it not possible?

That’s what I’m confused about though. In your example how does it not have a line or somewhatbof a line due to the gradual fade on the inside? You now have 50% on the area that was not factory tinted on the bottom and 50% applied ON TOP OF the area that was already tinted to probably 20% or something. How does one eliminate the gradual fade look? Or is it not possible?

I don't think that is possible. You can see a pic from the inside on the link earlier or in this post here.

The aftermarket tint will make the fade a bit more gradual since you'll go from something like 20% to 90%, a 70% fade down to 10% to 45%, a 35% light fade.

Are we now saying all cars come with only half of the back windshield with IR coating and those with full red IR coating are those people who have tinted windows?

Tesla never had “Full” rear coating?
“We” are saying nothing like that. There is no consensus as to why it appears that more recently built cars have rear roof glass that — when wet — looks orange/red on the forward part but not on the rear part.

There is no evidence that the lack of orange/red color when wet has any significance in regards to IR reflectivity or UV absorbtion or anything beside a visual difference.

There is no hard data about the color difference. And it’s only when the glass is wet. When dry the roof glass all looks the same.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I don't think that is possible. You can see a pic from the inside on the link earlier or in this post here.

The aftermarket tint will make the fade a bit more gradual since you'll go from something like 20% to 90%, a 70% fade down to 10% to 45%, a 35% light fade.

Makes sense. I guess the gradual factory line is better than a rigid aftermarket line from a partial tint. Can’t decide whether to go 30 or 35% all the way around (excluding windshield of course) in the stratos.

If Tint is the issue, wouldn’t the side glass with the same tint have the same effect?

I’m guessing it’s a layer that’s in all roof glass but just more pronounced in the dark areas vs the parts that are more clear. So when the glass is tinted, you see it more. But on side glass where this layer is absent, you don’t see the effect.

To sum this thread up for people who choose not to read:

1. The back glass is different on the newer cars. The new glass either contains no IR rejection treatment or they’ve changed the treatment to something that doesn’t look orange/red when wet.

2. There is no such thing as a half IR coated rear glass. The IR coating is much more visible over tinted glass so it appears that the orange effect stops halfway along with the factory tint when in fact multiple owners have proven that it goes all the way down.

To sum this thread up for people who choose not to read:

1. The back glass is different on the newer cars. The new glass either contains no IR rejection treatment or they’ve changed the treatment to something that doesn’t look orange/red when wet.

2. There is no such thing as a half IR coated rear glass. The IR coating is much more visible over tinted glass so it appears that the orange effect stops halfway along with the factory tint when in fact multiple owners have proven that it goes all the way down.

Thanks for the summary - any idea of when this change went into effect by manu/and or VIN. I have a pretty early VIN 30XXX that I have yet to take delivery (thanks to Texas laws) and am hoping this is a silver lining on an early VIN.

Thanks for the summary - any idea of when this change went into effect by manu/and or VIN. I have a pretty early VIN 30XXX that I have yet to take delivery (thanks to Texas laws) and am hoping this is a silver lining on an early VIN.
Seems the change was made in July. I think most of the reported VINs have been above ~60000 so you should be ok with that VIN assuming you want the red/orange glass (who wouldn’t?).

the sad thing about threads like this is that you see cyclical discussions over and over again. Things that seemed settled with facts and photos become speculation again and require several pages before they are settled again, only to become speculation again because who wants to read thru 20 pages of cyclical discussions....

Just washed car... I’m full IR protected lol :)

D716A71D-8618-40F0-993C-81D9D4512B5A.jpeg

I took my car in to the service center today for an unrelated minor thing and discussed the roof with them at great length. They did testing on my car and a couple of other cars that were there and confirmed to their surprise that my car did not have the orange effect like the top portion of my roof and other cars on the lot. This was the first that they had heard of this or seen it. They documented it and my concerns about it and created a case to be sent to engineers in CA. they think that there is a possibility of my glass needing to be replaced, I told them I just wanted to get to the bottom of what was going on and they agreed that the goal was to get to the bottom of it. When they spoke about replacing the glass I told them that I had reservations about that because the car was almost perfect and I believe that changing the glass is a big difficult job. They assured me that they have experience with it and that I wouldn't notice anything.

I took my car in to the service center today for an unrelated minor thing and discussed the roof with them at great length. They did testing on my car and a couple of other cars that were there and confirmed to their surprise that my car did not have the orange effect like the top portion of my roof and other cars on the lot. This was the first that they had heard of this or seen it. They documented it and my concerns about it and created a case to be sent to engineers in CA. they think that there is a possibility of my glass needing to be replaced, I told them I just wanted to get to the bottom of what was going on and they agreed that the goal was to get to the bottom of it. When they spoke about replacing the glass I told them that I had reservations about that because the car was almost perfect and I believe that changing the glass is a big difficult job. They assured me that they have experience with it and that I wouldn't notice anything.
Thanks for the info. My car is also in the SC for paint defect, and have a ticket open for IR coating on the roof. They said they didn't know anything about it until now.
Btw, which service center did you go? My car is in Burbank, CA.

Thanks for the info. My car is also in the SC for paint defect, and have a ticket open for IR coating on the roof. They said they didn't know anything about it until now.
Btw, which service center did you go? My car is in Burbank, CA.
Mt Kisco, NY. They were really great to deal with. I explained to them that there were two parts to my concerns, one being the performance/ protection provided by the glass above the back seat where my kids will be sitting and two the aesthetic thing about the two pieces of glass being the same type and matching. They seemed to totally understand and take an interest in figuring out what had taken place that lead to the situation that I am currently in and what can/ should be done to make it right.

Mt Kisco, NY. They were really great to deal with. I explained to them that there were two parts to my concerns, one being the performance/ protection provided by the glass above the back seat where my kids will be sitting and two the aesthetic thing about the two pieces of glass being the same type and matching. They seemed to totally understand and take an interest in figuring out what had taken place that lead to the situation that I am currently in and what can/ should be done to make it right.
Keep us posted with how this get resolved.

Wonder if Tesla would consider reimburse a full high quality tint job instead of replacing the entire rear roof.

To put things in perspective... seems like this is the most talked about thread on the Model 3 forum with people with very passionate opinions about this.

Come over to the BMW M3 forum and the most popular threads are about weather or not my V8 is gonna blow up because of the tight race car tolerances with the rod bearings.

I’m ok with that:)

• Funny
Reactions: hmerrill3 and DR61