Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glitch Allows Nag to be Turned Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just watched the video.........what's the hack????

If you click on the menu called "software" and let that screen on constantly then your Autosteer would constantly work without any need for detection of counter-torque.

If you don't do as instructed by the video, the Autosteer would disable the automation for the rest of the drive if it detects no counter-torque on the steering wheel.

Usually, you need to buy a "hack" like an expensive and illegal counterweight, or even orange (yes, it's a citric fruit) if you want to bypass the monitoring system.

But, I do not recommend bypassing the monitoring system because it is there for our safety and others.

A quick ctrl-F for the term "illegal" produced only a single paragraph below:

"Autopilot Buddy seems designed to exploit that very human frailty. But even so, the manufacturers appear aware that what they’re trying to sell is highly unethical, and possibly illegal. The website includes a number of disclaimers. The manufacturers claim its “not intended to be a hands-off device” but is intended “for track use only,” which is hilarious because who only drives their Tesla on a closed track?"

"Possibly" isn't the same thing. To the best of my knowledge, these devices remain legal at the Federal level and I'm unaware of any individual state that has officially made them illegal either. If someone has a link that states definitively otherwise I'd welcome a little education on the topic if I'm incorrect.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
A quick ctrl-F for the term "illegal" produced only a single paragraph below:

"Autopilot Buddy seems designed to exploit that very human frailty. But even so, the manufacturers appear aware that what they’re trying to sell is highly unethical, and possibly illegal. The website includes a number of disclaimers. The manufacturers claim its “not intended to be a hands-off device” but is intended “for track use only,” which is hilarious because who only drives their Tesla on a closed track?"

"Possibly" isn't the same thing. To the best of my knowledge, these devices remain legal at the Federal level and I'm unaware of any individual state that has officially made them illegal either. If someone has a link that states definitively otherwise I'd welcome a little education on the topic if I'm incorrect.

It may be legal to use, but it is not legal to sell. The Federal government sent the manufacturer a letter telling to stop it or else bad things. Manufacturer complied with the government's demands, so we never found out if the courts would have agreed with the federal governments position that it wasn't legal.

Even if you think you would win in court, would you be willing to spend many many thousands on lawyers and risk who knows what if you lose, just for the opportunity to sell a few thousand gadgets? When the feds come knocking most people are going to back down.

It may be legal to use, but it is not legal to sell. The Federal government sent the manufacturer a letter telling to stop it or else bad things. Manufacturer complied with the government's demands, so we never found out if the courts would have agreed with the federal governments position that it wasn't legal.

Even if you think you would win in court, would you be willing to spend many many thousands on lawyers and risk who knows what if you lose, just for the opportunity to sell a few thousand gadgets? When the feds come knocking most people are going to back down.

Just so we're clear... your stance is "Don't do something that's legal in case they decide after the fact to make it illegal" right? Is this still America or nah?

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
..."Possibly" isn't the same thing...these devices remain legal at the Federal level...

The NTHSA sent a cease and desist order:

CONSUMER ADVISORY: NHTSA Deems ‘Autopilot Buddy’ Product Unsafe

...Is this still America or nah?

If Autopilot Buddy thinks it's an illegal order then it should continue to sell it and see the NTHSA in court.

Legally, if a cease and desist order is not challenged, then the order is legal and the product is illegal.

Just so we're clear... your stance is "Don't do something that's legal in case they decide after the fact to make it illegal" right? Is this still America or nah?
No. My stance is when the government says stop or I'm going to arrest you. I will stop even if I think the government is wrong. Unless I have a really compelling reason - and selling a few thousand widgets at a hundred bucks a pop is not that compelling.

This is not a question of being afraid the government might object. The government did object and told them they had to stop.

The NTHSA sent a cease and desist order:

CONSUMER ADVISORY: NHTSA Deems ‘Autopilot Buddy’ Product Unsafe

If Autopilot Buddy thinks it's an illegal order then it should continue to sell it and see the NTHSA in court.

Legally, if a cease and desist order is not challenged, then the order is legal and the product is illegal.

That's not how laws work. They determined that seeking to combat the continued marketing of said product in a certain manner in court wouldn't yield fruit worthy of the investment on the front end. There are NO laws at the state or Federal level that specifically making the possession or use of one of these devices criminal.

The statement was made that these devices are illegal. They are not.

Usually, you need to buy a "hack" like an expensive and illegal counterweight, or even orange (yes, it's a citric fruit) if you want to bypass the monitoring system.

I don't think the counter weight hack works anymore. I 3d printed one, used weights (the type you stick on a truck tire to balance them) and after putting in way more than should be needed, it still didn't allow hands free. It might seem like it work initially, but after a few miles it will start to nag again. So I kept adding more to the outside of the enclosure, till the weight actually was hurting my ability to turn the car easily.

I think the torque sensing not only looks for torque, it now looks for it to vary over time. If the weight sensed is static, it will start to nag again.

Note: I didn't plan to use it to fall asleep. I keep my hand on the wheel, but it's setup in such a way that I can't hold the wheel near the bottom-center that is comfortable to me. So that was my goal, just enough to help not nag when my hands are on the wheel. And it works fine for that. But you can't do hands-free with the hack from what I've seen. Which is a good thing.

I ended up tossing it in the trash because I didn't want to scratch my steering wheel.

Last edited: