Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glove box won't open after service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
So my car was towed on Saturday for a parking brake that would not release.
Recovery company did not drop it off at the Birmingham Service centre until Tuesday but once they had it they fixed it the same day (left hand vehicle body control module replaced whatever that is) and I collected the car today.
All fine on the drive home but when I got there and started to put all my stuff back in the car the glove box would not open. just totally dead no click nothing.

I removed most of my stuff from the car on Saturday before it was towed and it was working normally then.

The obvious conclusion is that service have done something like disconnect it and not reconnect it again.
In addition to the brake issue they also did the standard mod for early RHD cars to waterproof the harness so they would have been messing around with the wiring at the front of the car.
I put it in valet mode for the towing company which I think deactivates it and the frunk but its not in valet mode now and the frunk is fine.
I have also done a reboot.

before I call them up to complain and get told just to book another service (including two 80 mile round trips to drop off and collect of course)
I'm not missing anything obvious am I? The button is not greyed out so I'm pretty sure the car thinks it should be working?

Reactions: Yev000
My only thought is that the car thinks that glovebox is already open.

Worth trying to power down the car then if the problem persists, hopefully a ranger may be available or offering services at a local supercharger.

My only thought is that the car thinks that glovebox is already open.

Worth trying to power down the car then if the problem persists, hopefully a ranger may be available or offering services at a local supercharger.
Intetesting. I guess its possible. Not sure how to power it down. Is that different to a reboot?
I have yet to see evidence that rangers exist in darkest Shropshire. Locals may have eaten them.
We do have a supercharger though.

• Funny
Reactions: GreenT
Intetesting. I guess its possible. Not sure how to power it down. Is that different to a reboot?
I have yet to see evidence that rangers exist in darkest Shropshire. Locals may have eaten them.
We do have a supercharger though.
Option 4 here:

Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Jason71
I tried all of the above. No dice. Thanks for the suggestions though
So it does look as if it might have been disconnected.
I was about to give Birmingham a call when the phone rang. It was Tesla Birmingham
They said they had read the forum and were reaching out to me to offer to send someone out to fix the issue. This morning!!!
Holly S**t. I had better take back everything I ever said about Tesla. No I mean literally is there a way I can delete some of my old posts before they read them and decide to remotely brick my car. 😱
Of course it could be too late. I only have their word they are sending out a technician. It could be a hit man. So If you don't hear from me again.....
Only joking. honest. I for one welcome our Tesla overloads 😇
Now lets just hope he makes it to me before the locals get him......

I tried all of the above. No dice. Thanks for the suggestions though
So it does look as if it might have been disconnected.
I was about to give Birmingham a call when the phone rang. It was Tesla Birmingham
They said they had read the forum and were reaching out to me to offer to send someone out to fix the issue. This morning!!!
Holly S**t. I had better take back everything I ever said about Tesla. No I mean literally is there a way I can delete some of my old posts before they read them and decide to remotely brick my car. 😱
Of course it could be too late. I only have their word they are sending out a technician. It could be a hit man. So If you don't hear from me again.....
Only joking. honest. I for one welcome our Tesla overloads 😇
Now lets just hope he makes it to me before the locals get him......
That's amazing - yet very freaky. Great service and it seems Tesla are thinking outside the box.

Reactions: Durzel
1623919808153.png

Technician has been round and fixed the glove box. Also brought me some free merch. Cup, Water bottle and an umbrella
So nice save Tesla. 👍
I was going to do a post yesterday about how I was actually impressed by the service, subject to the problems being 40miles from the service centre will always cause, and I knew that when I bought the car. Then the glove box thing happened so it turned into a help/moan about that instead.
So back on track..
Aside from the recovery company deciding to hold onto the car until Tuesday and not take it to Tesla on Monday for some reason I have to say the service was very smooth and very quick and communication was good. They even cleaned the car which I don't remember being a thing before.
The technician also sent me several txt messages throughout the process to let me know what was going on which was nice and is apparently a new thing they are trialling.
Yes they made a mistake with the glove box but we all make mistakes and I always think, you should judge not on whether mistakes are made (within reason) but on how people or companies fix their mistakes, and on that front I think this has to be an A*

Tesla currently have a structural disadvantage compared to other makes due to their relative lack of service centres compared to other brands with a dealership in every town (Lack of proper pre-delivery inspections probably not helping the work load either). So competing on service was always going to be an uphill battle. One that, based on many accounts including my own previous experience, they were not obviously winning. Hopefully my experience this week is indicative of efforts to turn that around and is now the norm.

I also hope not to have to find out either way any time soon since the best service is the one you don't need :)

NOW: if anyone from Shop Tesla is listening can we talk about the order I placed SIX MONTHS AGO tomorrow and am still waiting for.......

Attachments

• 20210617_104936.jpg
    20210617_104936.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 58
That's some sweet merch. :) I thought I'd managed to accumulate most of it (welcome to the umbrella club) but I haven't got that water bottle :(

Did you find out what the problem actually was? Presumably something just not connected up, as you thought?

I guess that sort of service is not something one ought to expect for regular stuff, but given that it was caused by their rectification work - it seems only appropriate.

That's some sweet merch. :) I thought I'd managed to accumulate most of it (welcome to the umbrella club) but I haven't got that water bottle :(

Did you find out what the problem actually was? Presumably something just not connected up, as you thought?

I guess that sort of service is not something one ought to expect for regular stuff, but given that it was caused by their rectification work - it seems only appropriate.

Yes something not connected not sure what. Was expecting it to be in the frunk but he seemed to be working in the cabin. Didn't take long either way.
I didn't ask too many questions I was busy playing with my umbrella.

I agree in an ideal world but a pleasant surprise in this one.

Good to know that Tesla people monitor the forum from time to time ... amongst all our nonsense there are some real issues that have been identified and shared so it must be a useful source for the company.

Some quite senior Tesla staff frequent the forums and will occasionally contact posters below the radar. They do however seem to keep to the more global forums, so if you have a unique pressing problem, it is probably best to post in the global forums. Tesla Engineering would then step in and take it from there.

Which is why it is quite refreshing to hear @Jason71's experience of what looks like UK based Tesla staff doing the same (which is not unheard of as if you talk to some Tesla staff they suggest that they do read the forums) but more importantly proactively acting on information gleaned.

• Informative
Reactions: s88ats and Adopado
Tesla currently have a structural disadvantage compared to other makes due to their relative lack of service centres compared to other brands with a dealership in every town (Lack of proper pre-delivery inspections probably not helping the work load either). So competing on service was always going to be an uphill battle. One that, based on many accounts including my own previous experience, they were not obviously winning. Hopefully my experience this week is indicative of efforts to turn that around and is now the norm.
It's conceivable that as all deliveries are now coming from China & quality is significantly improved then it follows that SCs will spend less time on rectification & fire fighting... freeing up time to conduct proper PDI checks, proactive support etc.