Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM announces use of NACS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohh snap!
Everyone else will follow soon. TSLA to the moon!

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.06.08-15_44_55.png

With the Ford and GM now on board with NACS, CCS1 in north America will now be effectively dead. I predict we will start seeing more auto makers in the US market switch to NACS on new vehicles.

I also believe we'll start to see existing CCS charge posts converted to NACS or new NACS posts installed at existing CCS stations, like EA.

Last edited:
With the Ford and GM now on board with NACS, CCS1 in north America will now be effectively dead. I predict we will start seeing more auto makers in the US market switch to NACS on new vehicles.

I also believe we'll start to see existing CCS charge posts converted to NACS or new NACS posts installed at existing CCS stations, like EA.
Not a huge fan of EM but yes this is good. Like the VHS vs Beta (Although I think Beta was better) and HD-DVD vs Bluray "wars". NACS is so easy to use
BUT they should allow for longer cables

Reactions: Cal1
Not a huge fan of EM but yes this is good. Like the VHS vs Beta (Although I think Beta was better) and HD-DVD vs Bluray "wars". NACS is so easy to use
BUT they should allow for longer cables
I don't think cable length is dictated by NACS. The short supercharger cables were just because only Tesla's could charge at them and the ports were all in the same spot on the car, so they only had to design for one scenario.

V4 chargers have longer cables and I expect any other NACS station operators to have longer cables.

Now the question is... Will existing V3 and V2 stations get retrofitted with longer cables? I have no idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Will existing V3 and V2 stations get retrofitted with longer cables? I have no idea.
V3s maybe. V2s highly unlikely, as they aren't included in the Ford deal, and likely aren't in the GM one either. (Since they used the same 12k+ number of Superchargers that would be available.)

I think it depends on what they do for the adapter. If the Ford/GM adapter is actually a ~3 foot cable, then there is probably no need to make the V3 cables longer. (It will make it a pain for owners, as that will take up a fair amount of space in their vehicle.)

I'm guessing that F and GM will relocate their charge ports to the driver rear. To me that would make the most sense.
My guess is the passengers front corner. (As it is closer to where they already have the electronics, so the internal cables will be shorter. But it is possible they could do a whole redesign.)

The front corner makes it easier for charging with trailers, assuming they don't end up blocking traffic.

Reactions: BitJam
V3s maybe. V2s highly unlikely, as they aren't included in the Ford deal, and likely aren't in the GM one either. (Since they used the same 12k+ number of Superchargers that would be available.)

I think it depends on what they do for the adapter. If the Ford/GM adapter is actually a ~3 foot cable, then there is probably no need to make the V3 cables longer. (It will make it a pain for owners, as that will take up a fair amount of space in their vehicle.)

It seems like it would be a challenge to make an extension when the cables are liquid cooled? My understanding is that they are making an adpater extension for Fords at least, but how with the heat be managed?

Reactions: RNHurt