Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got $7K: Buy FSD or TSLA Stock? What Would You Do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To come back to the original question it really depends if you believe Elon or not. If you believe Elon and they will succeed in Robotaxi network then FSD is the way to go as FSD will be worth a couple of hundrerds of thousands of dollars. I don't think the share price will appreciate that much.
If you have doubts about Elon's predictions than shares is the way to go.

To come back to the original question it really depends if you believe Elon or not. If you believe Elon and they will succeed in Robotaxi network then FSD is the way to go as FSD will be worth a couple of hundrerds of thousands of dollars. I don't think the share price will appreciate that much.

I think that RoBoTaXi will happen - but not in the next 10 years, maybe 20. At that point a 2020 FSD Model Y, at 10 years, the battery is out of warranty. At year 20 the car may have reached its serviceable (safe) life.

Will be best case if RoBoTaXi happens sooner than that. I hope.

Truth be told, here is where I am at.

I have a Dec 2018 Model 3 with FSD (paid $5K). This car is now 55K miles (in 16 months) due to my 160 mile commute. I wish FSD happens and become RoBoTaXi, before this Model 3 dies.

Our March 2020 Model Y does NOT have FSD. But I have stashed some $$ in TSLA since the dip in March. I hope TSLA continue to grow as well.

Thanks for the feedback, all interesting insights.

R,
RoBoRaT
ATTACH=full]545781[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20200406_211105.jpg
    20200406_211105.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Completely and absolutely disagree.

With a 12-24 month time frame, $7,000 of TSLA will appreciate much faster than the cost of FSD. The question has nothing to do with the perceived value of FSD.

In other words, you should be able to purchase FSD with your TSLA shares and have money left over.

Reactions: db93 and RoBoRaT
Best plan is to go back in time to August and follow my advice from a
I think buying call options is the best idea. Buy 667 ($6k/$9 a piece) Jun 2021 call options @450. This gives some time just in case the robotaxi schedule slips to 2021. That should put Tesla's valuation at least equivalent to Waymo's estimated valuation of $175 billion which would be $977 a share. That works out to $351,509 which should be more than enough to pay for the FSD package even after the price increases.
Really kicking myself for not following my own advice! :D

• Funny
Reactions: RoBoRaT
The FSD safety feature is that it covers for distracted driving. It’s not the car driving and protecting itself. It’s FSD driving and allowing you to look away while you change radio station and reach for coffee. Yeah, and sometimes text, but you can text with voice commands now. So stop that!

The Tesla stats show that FSD is twice as safe as just using the standard safety features in a Tesla.

The FSD safety feature is that it covers for distracted driving. It’s not the car driving and protecting itself. It’s FSD driving and allowing you to look away while you change radio station and reach for coffee. Yeah, and sometimes text, but you can text with voice commands now. So stop that!

The Tesla stats show that FSD is twice as safe as just using the standard safety features in a Tesla.
I think you're talking about Autopilot, which is standard on all new Teslas.

Reactions: phantasms
@RoBoRaT

My two cents: Buy FSD.

Best investing decision I ever made was to lease a Model S P90 with Autopilot in September 2016.

Why? It gave me the confidence to filter through all the BS that was flying around about Tesla at the time and make a significant investment in late 2016 that has now more than quadrupled in value.

I originally made a smaller investment in late 2012 when the stock was $31. Had I been an early Model S owner I probably would have had the courage to make a bigger bet from the beginning. My loss.

FSD is highly controversial and you can read strong opinions about it from many people. If you have FSD you can judge for yourself. Maybe you'll use it and decide it's garbage. Or maybe you'll use it and decide it's a future worth investing in.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
FSD is highly controversial and you can read strong opinions about it from many people. If you have FSD you can judge for yourself. Maybe you'll use it and decide it's garbage. Or maybe you'll use it and decide it's a future worth investing in.
Aren't there occasional free trials of FSD?
I've got Enhanced Autopilot and the only FSD feature I use is automatic lane change and then only when the road is very empty. I wouldn't even use that if you could change lanes without disabling Autosteer. I would gladly take $3k back to downgrade to regular Autopilot (which wasn't offered when I purchased). I may change my mind if they ever update Autopark to be better than a human (How hard is that relative to software that's going to drive everywhere in the country better than a human???).

I would gladly take $3k back to downgrade to regular Autopilot (which wasn't offered when I purchased).

Comments like this are exactly why I suggested buying FSD so he can decide for himself.

I have been using the stop sign/traffic light feature since it was released and IMO it rocks, already, as does Nav on AP.

But why listen to the opinions of random people on the Internet when you can own FSD, watch it develop with every new software release, and make your own decision?

Comments like this are exactly why I suggested buying FSD so he can decide for himself.

I have been using the stop sign/traffic light feature since it was released and IMO it rocks, already, as does Nav on AP.

But why listen to the opinions of random people on the Internet when you can own FSD, watch it develop with every new software release, and make your own decision?
Haha. Many people say the feature isn't worth the money so you should pay for it to see for yourself? o_O
I agree that many people think there is $7k of value in the FSD features but there are also many people who do not. Trying it out before purchase would be the best. It sounds like there is a 48 hour refund period (better check on that!) so that could be an option.

Reserve a Cybertruck with the FSD price at $7,000 today.

$100 towards the Cybertruck reservation with FSD and buy $6900 in TSLA stock now. If FSD is worth the money by the time the truck gets here, you will already be locked in. Chances are there will be a better deal down the road for you to subscribe for FSD features as a service, perhaps monthly or as-needed. It is highly unlikely that any car bought today with FSD will ever become a robo-taxi.

Reactions: JBT66 and RoBoRaT