TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Green Car Reports has article today on Migrating from Gen 1 Model S to P85D

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by George Parrott, Feb 10, 2015.

1. George Parrott

2. Eseell

Eseell Member

That hyperlink doesn't go to what it says it does. You might want to fix it.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Moderator note: updated link.

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

But the P85D is "gen 1" as much as a 2012 Model S. It has some improvements, yes, but it's hardly Model S 2.0. It's more like version 1.5.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Going to have to disagree here. I think AWD combined with autopilot features (when delivered) is a pretty strong argument for 2.0 of the platform.

Then again, in some ways I would agree with calling Sigs a v0.9 product at times.

6. Not an Ice

Not an Ice Member

Me thinks that the NY Times might want to "get with the times" and subscribe to Green Car Report before to avoid their continuous misreporting of Tesla's, EV's and battery's!

7. commasign

commasign Active Member

Coming from a late 2013 P85, the late-2014 autopilot car (especially the P85D) is a significantly changed and upgraded car. If not 2.0, then at least 1.5. But really the autopilot additions alone push this into a 2.0 type of change.

8. Puff

Puff Member

"Current production Model S cars can intelligently change lanes on their own via full proximity sensing systems and a simple flick of the turn signal when at freeway speeds. This feature too is currently operational."

Is that correct?

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I am not an owner yet, but I do believe I've read a thread that is operational as part of the TACC. If your are cruising below your Max and flick the signal, the car will change lanes and then speed up to your max speed (if traffic or any other car you end up following allow for it).

10. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Not quite: at this time (.139/.140 firmware) all steering inputs are still done by the human driver. Flicking the left turn signal while TACC is engaged induces an acceleration under software control toward the current set point speed, no more. I haven't experimented to see what happens if you don't change lanes.

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Thank you, I stand corrected. I must have read the thread that they flicked the turn signal and turned the steering wheel without any input to the "go" pedal and misrembered. :)

12. George Parrott

I too saw at least one early report of the automated lane changing, but have not tried it yet in my own driving. Others say "not yet," so perhaps it was briefly functional and withdrawn on the .139/.140 software updates?

George Parrott, still learning with that beautiful red P85D

13. jeffd

jeffd Member

I've been lurking for quite a while, but now I'm an owner so I decided to register finally!

I too am wondering about that... Is there a place to get details on what was affected by software updates?

- - - Updated - - -

I found this but it's old: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/software-v60
    Tesla must have a list somewhere...

14. jeffd

jeffd Member

15. commasign

commasign Active Member

Sounds like you Brian Williams'd. :wink:

16. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I had to Google to find out what you were referring to. Lol. I don't think it was quite at that level. I'm never afraid to be wrong as long as I've civilly been corrected and there was some sense of reason for why I felt like I originally did. Now if we can only convince others not to take things personally!! :cool: