Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked Tesla Winchester to supply and fit green number plates and they charged £27 for a (new) standard Tesla plate so probably a similar price to anywhere else for the thin metal plate with no mounting holes.
I have the original blue-flashed plates in the boot with the rear plate earmarked for a trailer if I ever get one.

As for why you need green plates - well its supposed to give you some parking benefit ... eventually ... assuming Councils or supermarkets are planning to follow the intention of the green plates. Its anyone's guess when/if that will happen.

I asked Tesla Winchester to supply and fit green number plates and they charged £27 for a (new) standard Tesla plate so probably a similar price to anywhere else for the thin metal plate with no mounting holes.
I have the original blue-flashed plates in the boot with the rear plate earmarked for a trailer if I ever get one.

As for why you need green plates - well its supposed to give you some parking benefit ... eventually ... assuming Councils or supermarkets are planning to follow the intention of the green plates. Its anyone's guess when/if that will happen.
£18 per plate at Halfords. Exactly the same type that came with the car. Thin metal.
1E9C4902-1269-4FEE-BCFE-BE9828113369.jpeg

For those that want an Tesla holder compatible aluminum plate but also want a GB logo etc.

Hills, the supplier of the plate materials used by Halfords et al., suggested contacting Nick or Adam at Number Plates | Gould Numberplates | Nailsea to see if they can help. In the end I used an acrylic plate so never investigated this option.
The acrylic plate that you got in the end, the Green is alot darker than the Tesla or Halfords plates I've seen. Is it within the specifications?
I just ask, as I ended up getting the same one.

I ordered an acrylic green plate, it's a tight fit and I used thin trim removal tools to slide it in (although an old credit card would work well) behind all the clips. However, they did fit in the older style "tesla . com" number plate holders. Once in, it fits really well and there is actually room without stress on the plastic clips even though it doesn't seem so at first.

The problem is simply that it's difficult to slide in, but absolutely possible.

The acrylic plate that you got in the end, the Green is alot darker than the Tesla or Halfords plates I've seen. Is it within the specifications?
I just ask, as I ended up getting the same one.

Whilst a Pantone shade is specified, its only stated as having to be 'or very similar'. Colour by its very nature will vary in different lighting conditions, especially if retroreflective. Our green flash when viewed under good lighting is definitely 'very similar', this image taken with flash on overcast day.

1620297155178.png

Reactions: Arran
This is pretty weird because here in Texas, the state supplies the plates. We have vanity plates that they subcontract out to a private company, but it's still done through the state if that makes sense. We also replace them every seven years, allegedly because the reflectivity will have started to decay by then, though probably more to find people who haven't reregistered as they will have an old design. There's no going to Halfords or anything similar.

I remember in England you used to be able to write your own with a felt tip pen on a piece of cardboard - I guess those days are over now - lol

So here's a question: I see some of the green bands have GB and some appear to not have it ... has the UK given up on the Euroband now?

How does that work?

This is pretty weird because here in Texas, the state supplies the plates. We have vanity plates that they subcontract out to a private company, but it's still done through the state if that makes sense. We also replace them every seven years, allegedly because the reflectivity will have started to decay by then, though probably more to find people who haven't reregistered as they will have an old design. There's no going to Halfords or anything similar.

I remember in England you used to be able to write your own with a felt tip pen on a piece of cardboard - I guess those days are over now - lol

So here's a question: I see some of the green bands have GB and some appear to not have it ... has the UK given up on the Euroband now?

How does that work?
The Euroband has always been optional, and there does seem to be some back and forth on what it will change to now we left the EU. The country marker can exist within the green band.

Numberplates last as long as the car, ANPR finds people who haven't paid tax and insurance.

Whilst a Pantone shade is specified, its only stated as having to be 'or very similar'. Colour by its very nature will vary in different lighting conditions, especially if retroreflective. Our green flash when viewed under good lighting is definitely 'very similar', this image taken with flash on overcast day.
Sounds like the gov now saying the 'GB' is to be replaced with 'UK'.
So anyone wanting to go to europe with have to throw out the GB plates and buy UK ones.
Good for the environment! throwing away a load of number plates.

So anyone wanting to go to europe with have to throw out the GB plates and buy UK ones.
Yet more gesture politics from the people who often whine about gesture politics.

I still can’t see the point of the green plate until it gives you advantages such as not having to register for 100% congestion charge discount

I predict a market surge in £4.99 little UK stickers

has the UK given up on the Euroband now?
Its fine if on your car, however if you are in a UK vehicle driving in EU, you can no longer rely on the EU number plate - you will either need a GB sticker on the car and/or a replacement number plate.

I'm planning on getting a green one with GB on it for my own EU travels next year.

Its fine if on your car, however if you are in a UK vehicle driving in EU, you can no longer rely on the EU number plate - you will either need a GB sticker on the car and/or a replacement number plate.

I'm planning on getting a green one with GB on it for my own EU travels next year.
GB number plates going to be invalid from end of sept, must be UK. (for some absurd reason)