Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GTA Winter Driving and Snow Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the storm that we just had yesterday in the western GTA area (I live north of Milton), my Pirelli's performed very poorly. For the first time in many years, I became stuck. Even though the snow is only about 5 inches deep!

This is the second season on my Pirelli's, but last year we had very little snow after I took delivery of my car.

I think that it is time to switch to X-ICE 3 or Hakka R2 (if I can find any). I'd be very interested to hear other peoples experiences in this latest storm which seemed to dump quite a bit of snow at relatively cold temperatures for this area (-12C).

Here is a picture of my car in the driveway, on almost no slope, stuck - can't move - need to shovel....

David

2013-12-15 12.40.46 copy.jpg

During the storm that we just had yesterday in the western GTA area (I live north of Milton), my Pirelli's performed very poorly. For the first time in many years, I became stuck. Even though the snow is only about 5 inches deep!
Try lifting the suspension (if able) and turning traction control off. Be gentle on the accelerator. I was ok today with Michelin X-Ice 3 in Ottawa.

I have the Hakka R2's and they seemed to do really well. I was a lot better off than many other cars on the road. Before the Tesla I only drove AWD SUVs with all season tires so it's hard for me to compare. But I was able to do anything I needed to do, although I took it slow on turns and starting up at a stoplight in deep snow. I also put my suspension on high or very high at some deeper areas. My driveway is very long and steep (about 20-30 degree incline) and I had no traction issues getting in or out.

Try lifting the suspension (if able) and turning traction control off. Be gentle on the accelerator. I was ok today with Michelin X-Ice 3 in Ottawa.

I tried raising the suspension, which had helped me get out of another mess earlier today, but it didn't seem to help in the driveway. I didn't try turning off TC.
Since I had to clear my driveway anyway, I shoveled a path and was able to put my car in the garage. Just for fun I went out in both the Prius (with Cdn Tire Nordic tires) and the Volt (with X-Ice 3) and tried to get into a similar situation as the Model S... They were sliding and spinning tires a little, but neither car had the any real problems getting around. Based on the comments, it sounds like a tire issue.

David

I tried raising the suspension, which had helped me get out of another mess earlier today, but it didn't seem to help in the driveway. I didn't try turning off TC.
Since I had to clear my driveway anyway, I shoveled a path and was able to put my car in the garage. Just for fun I went out in both the Prius (with Cdn Tire Nordic tires) and the Volt (with X-Ice 3) and tried to get into a similar situation as the Model S... They were sliding and spinning tires a little, but neither car had the any real problems getting around. Based on the comments, it sounds like a tire issue.

David

Welcome to the club. I had to replace my tires last year after being stuck many times. With the Nokian it was way better. But still it was average so we took the Volt in snow storms as it was safer in these conditions. I warned ownership at Tesla (Jan 2013) not to sell those tires anymore in snow countries like Canada or Norway.

So far I am pleased with the Hakka R2's. They performed very well on slushy and snow packed roads (drove 120 kms today, the day after that storm). I still haven't driven through deep snow other than several drifts that I plowed through at speed. All in all, the car felt well controlled and stable. One note, the Hakka R2's are noticeably skittish on dry pavement.

I have the Hakka 7's with studs in Quebec. And I am LOVING the way the car handled in the storm. I never felt I would get stuck, the traction control performed beautifully and I climbed small hills with ease.

I think the problem really is your tires. But some Nokians on there and you should be in much better shape.

I have the Michelin X-Ice 3 winter tires on my S85.
Over the last couple of weeks we had very cold temps (-23 F) and deep snow.
The storm was preceded by record rainfall of .5 inch in just a few hours. This was followed by 12 inches of snow, and then 4 days later with another 8 inches of snow and persisting temps below 0. So there was a thick sheet of glassy ice beneath the snow on every road around here. And with those cold temps, snowplows could not remove the ice, it remained either smooth or in some cases rough and broken, except of course where salt was used. The car has performed amazingly well! Very stable on the ice! Blasted through drifts and rolled down snowy roads with no hesitation. Even climbed icy hills with no problem. Only once on a steep hill with around 5 inches of standing snow, I had to back the car down and put on the chains that I bought from the Tesla online store for $90. Then Model S just powered up that hill too!
It pays to be prepared for winter. In my family growing up we always keep a pair of chains and an extra blanket in the car (even 4WD SUV) for winter trips, so I have made it kind of a habit.
I have to say that I am simply astonished at how well the Model S has performed in these conditions. Only a large 4 wheel drive with good winter tires and high clearance would have done better.
And, although heating, etc does use a lot of battery range, it never became an issue, just need to leave plenty of buffer when possible.
The car is always warm to enter and just get in and go. The regen limitation takes a little getting used to but actually creates no issues at all as far as driving the car.
I tend to stick with Standard regen because breaking and acceleration is so precise and fine-tuned, that with a little practice carefully feathering thego pedal, its just unbeatable for speed and directional control of the car in such conditions.
I never would have imagined that rear-wheel drive could offer such performance in these conditions. And the traction control is awesome!

Thanks for all of the great comments on this thread. As I expected, both X-ICE 3 and the Hakka R2 are sold out in Canada, but I was able to order the Xi3 from TireRack. I should have them just before Christmas, and will let everyone know about my experiences. Kal Tire has told me that they have no issue doing the install of tires from TireRack, particularly since there is no supply here.

I need to decide what to do with the Pirelli's. I can try to sell them (any offers?), or try to wear them out in spring/fall before next winter.

Thanks again,

David

Thanks for all of the great comments on this thread. As I expected, both X-ICE 3 and the Hakka R2 are sold out in Canada, but I was able to order the Xi3 from TireRack. I should have them just before Christmas, and will let everyone know about my experiences. Kal Tire has told me that they have no issue doing the install of tires from TireRack, particularly since there is no supply here.

I need to decide what to do with the Pirelli's. I can try to sell them (any offers?), or try to wear them out in spring/fall before next winter.

Thanks again,

David

Kal Tire (Hamilton) supplied and installed my Hakka R2's. All good. Didn't even need to reset the Tire Pressure Sensors.

I read on the TM corporate website forum that Tesla have dropped the price of the winter tire package (original 19" style or aero 19") to $3000 + tax. Can anyone confirm? shop.teslamotors.com still lists them at $4000.

I have a set of Rial's on order from TireRack (they are on back order), but once the exchange rate factors in, they will be slightly more expensive, and Tesla won't install them (again, so I've read) when I pick up my car.