Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3's on (July) 28th!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anyone that's ever been killed by thunder. However dozens get killed every year by lighting.

M-F_17.png

Question is, how many were golfing at the time.

Really? That many? Iiiiiinnnnterrresssting.

Question is, how many were golfing at the time.

Really? That many? Iiiiiinnnnterrresssting.

I do remember a video of a priest golfing in the rain getting struck by lightning. Seems there was a gopher around somewhere too.

But for 2017 the 2 males were construction workers in Florida (hit on separate days) and the female was riding a horse in an open field in Colorado.

The 2016 list only has 1 mention of the word golf. NWS Lightning Fatalities and it was a 23 year old Male in Colorado.

The 2015 list has only 1 mention of the word golf but it's in the phrase "disc golf" if you want to count that. NWS Lightning Fatalities

So I'm going to say golfing lightning strikes aren't that common.

edit: I forgot, he was a Bishop, not a priest.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: kbM3 and TaoJones
All excited and pumped up about seing SN1 pics and the 30 car handover/reveal part 3 party! But I am really wondering what is up with the Q2 deliveries falling short and blaming it on battery pack availability (due to 100Kwh packs), while hinting 30 and 100 M3 cars in July and August respectively. We talk about Freemont and the production line being ready or not, but is the Gigafactory battery production aligned with the production ramp-up? Gigafactory is a mystery, not much news, is everything according to plan? Now tesla needs 25k packs per quarter to meet Model S/X demand, but by December, they need to do minimum this number in a month! Could these low numbers of Model 3 produced in the next three months or so suggest, that Gigafactory is not ready in the scale needed?

All excited and pumped up about seing SN1 pics and the 30 car handover/reveal part 3 party! But I am really wondering what is up with the Q2 deliveries falling short and blaming it on battery pack availability (due to 100Kwh packs), while hinting 30 and 100 M3 cars in July and August respectively. We talk about Freemont and the production line being ready or not, but is the Gigafactory battery production aligned with the production ramp-up? Gigafactory is a mystery, not much news, is everything according to plan? Now tesla needs 25k packs per quarter to meet Model S/X demand, but by December, they need to do minimum this number in a month! Could these low numbers of Model 3 produced in the next three months or so suggest, that Gigafactory is not ready in the scale needed?
Aren't the Model S/X battery packs assembled in Fremont or did that get transferred to the Gigafactory?

Aren't the Model S/X battery packs assembled in Fremont or did that get transferred to the Gigafactory?

And Elon has said for months that the 100kWh packs are very complex and difficult to build. I am not sure that has anything to do with Model 3 packs. Still, there is a chance that GF is a little behind on cell and pack production.

More likely, I think it is the external supply chain that is limiting early Model 3 production rate. Remember, July was supposed to be a stretch goal for the suppliers, originally. Perhaps there are some parts still coming in slowly.

Elon did say that the release candidate cars were being built with production tooling, so that is probably not the issue.

... but is the Gigafactory battery production aligned with the production ramp-up? Gigafactory is a mystery, not much news, is everything according to plan? Now tesla needs 25k packs per quarter to meet Model S/X demand, but by December, they need to do minimum this number in a month! Could these low numbers of Model 3 produced in the next three months or so suggest, that Gigafactory is not ready in the scale needed?

Model S+X do not yet use cells produced at GF-I. They are still using the "old" 18600 cells imported from Asia. Model 3 will use new 2170 cells produced at the GF-I. Whenever GF-I are ready to produce enough cells for the Model 3 demand or not is something that no one outside Tesla do know at this time. The one thing we do know is that it is already producing cells for the upcoming production of the Model 3.

Add to this that Tesla just landed the Australian 129 MWh (that's a lot of power) energy storage contract. They really have to start producing 21700 cells fast. Although I haven't seen a delivery date of the energy storage project though. Still GF1 will be very busy.

Add to this that Tesla just landed the Australian 129 MWh (that's a lot of power) energy storage contract. They really have to start producing 21700 cells fast. Although I haven't seen a delivery date of the energy storage project though. Still GF1 will be very busy.
But the cells for the stationary products and the 3 are not the same chemistry. Yes, total manufacturing capacity will be consumed but the type of cells used for each product line are different. Not clear how one would impact the other.

I think this cinched the rumors that the initial M3s will have the larger kWh battery. It makes sense from a gross margin perspective to force the expensive battery at first, but I was uncertain about GF1 capacity.... Obviously my concern was over nothing!

The 100 kWh packs use 16850 cells from Japan that are in limited supply. The Model 3 packs will use 2170 cells from Nevada that will be built in larger numbers.

It is likely that Panasonic and Tesla are both focused more on getting Model 3 out than they are at ramping up S/X packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.