Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3's on (July) 28th!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone assuming the delivery at the end of July is to EMPLOYEES? The specific words from Elon's tweet said "CUSTOMER."

I'd appreciate anyone who can specifically cite authority that Elon meant "employee customers."

Because Elon previously and specifically stated that the first bunch of production cars will go to employees.

Indeed. I did consider finessing the model to factor that in, but didn't have time. Somewhere between 30k and 35k Model 3 deliveries in 2017 is probably where we will end up. 39k is definitely at the optimistic end.

Are are production numbers, not deliveries? Would that put Tesla over the 200,000 US deliveries by the end of the year? I wonder if they will manipulate the numbers to cross that mark in in Q1 next year if that's the case.

Because Elon previously and specifically stated that the first bunch of production cars will go to employees.
Yes he did. And those employees (Tesla and SpaceX) will be paying full price. They are "customers" that happen to be employees because Elon decided that employees would get the first cars as a reward for their hard work. Which I think is cool.

I expect all of the 30 people receiving their Model 3s on July 28th to be employees. It will not be a "PR disaster" as someone posted. It will be doing what Elon said he would do.

Based on multiple conversations with Tesla employees at showrooms and service centers, I estimate that at least 4,000 employees made a reservation, and maybe thousands more than that. So the "public customers" won't start receiving their cars until late this year.

Yes he did. And those employees (Tesla and SpaceX) will be paying full price. They are "customers" that happen to be employees because Elon decided that employees would get the first cars as a reward for their hard work. Which I think is cool.

I expect all of the 30 people receiving their Model 3s on July 28th to be employees. It will not be a "PR disaster" as someone posted. It will be doing what Elon said he would do.

Based on multiple conversations with Tesla employees at showrooms and service centers, I estimate that at least 4,000 employees made a reservation, and maybe thousands more than that. So the "public customers" won't start receiving their cars until late this year.

Exactly,

I would also assume that this is a good idea because of the opportunity for quick feedback to Tesla Leadership within the company accompanied by an already established NDA which keeps the comments in-house and the public ( possibly a popular forum or 2 ) from creating un-necessary threads about simple adjustments that need to be made.

Autopilot was a public test bed of Tesla......let me count the threads.....I might be able to finish my count by ...lets say...Friday of all of the "WONDERFUL" AP comments this forum has presented.
LOL

Last edited:
Since it is technically possible, there is always a chance, however unlikely the possibility. It's also possible Elon will be one of the 2 people killed by thunder every year in the US - imagine what that would do to Tesla's future. ;)

I don't know anyone that's ever been killed by thunder. However dozens get killed every year by lighting.

M-F_17.png

And personally I think rightfully so.

I also wonder, how many cars can they make per day? Especially if they are doing it "by hand"? They have ~20 days (inc weekends) to make 30 cars, do we think this is doable?

I understand why people think these 30 will be built by hand but what you just said makes me think they will be made on the line to some degree. I find it hard to believe they could completely hand build 30 cars in 20 days.

And they probably are paying full price. But, if I were in charge of this at Tesla, and I had 30 cars to "sell", I would "sell" them to 30 of the most involved and committed people there. And I'm sure that all of these people would consent to very frequent inspection, perhaps some special performance/function monitoring software, and to complete a bit of additional testing.

And then after 6 months of testing, I would make them a special deal to swap out the early car for a new one that has the early bugs worked out.

There's nothing underhanded or surreptitious about this. It just makes sense. Okay, it might, arguably, being pushing the definition of "production", but whatever.

And then after 6 months of testing, I would make them a special deal to swap out the early car for a new one that has the early bugs worked out.

There's nothing underhanded or surreptitious about this. It just makes sense. Okay, it might, arguably, being pushing the definition of "production", but whatever.

I think they would keep the registered cars but do major part replacement and modification as necessary. I wonder how different those first three model X are from later cars.

Market will take this as "soft launch" and rightly so. We won't know how good the products are.

Imagine Apple or Sony or Microsoft launching highly anticipated products by selling first to employees. We had to line up just like everyone else in front of the store to get the hot new product like everyone else.

• Funny
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Market will take this as "soft launch" and rightly so. We won't know how good the products are.

Imagine Apple or Sony or Microsoft launching highly anticipated products by selling first to employees. We had to line up just like everyone else in front of the store to get the hot new product like everyone else.

Agree. But if Apple, Sony, Microsoft, or other where making a new car, they might well do what Tesla is doing now!

Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Agree. But if Apple, Sony, Microsoft, or other where making a new car, they might well do what Tesla is doing now!
No, they wouldn't. They give out a lot of beta equipment (company owned) for early testing etc. But production units have to go to broader public. After all (at that time highly anticipated) Leaf was given first out to customers. You show your confidence in the product when you sell to customers, not under NDA - conversely you show lack of confidence in the quality by restricting the sales to company employees.

Musk has not made any secret about his lack of confidence - by saying they will sell first to employees and then to people near the factory.

No, they wouldn't. They give out a lot of beta equipment (company owned) for early testing etc. But production units have to go to broader public. After all (at that time highly anticipated) Leaf was given first out to customers. You show your confidence in the product when you sell to customers, not under NDA - conversely you show lack of confidence in the quality by restricting the sales to company employees.

Musk has not made any secret about his lack of confidence - by saying they will sell first to employees and then to people near the factory.
This is all spin on your part.

Apple sends out beta phones in the thousands, for months, before declaring the product ready for general consumption. Tesla does not have that option so the beta equivalent is via customers close to home where kinks can be worked out faster and with less cost.

You should also remember that Apple can have bugs galore and not have regulatory authorities demanding an immediate recall. Can you perhaps come up with a slightly more useless comparison ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.