Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, just to clarify your statement. The $100 rebate is NOT on all of the ION tires. The ION SUV version does not have a rebate, but the other ION AS versions do.

Attachments

• SCR-20230412-liri.png
    SCR-20230412-liri.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Something is wrong. We bought ours within the time frame and they told us in advance that the SUV model is not part of the rebate. Wife even called Hankook and talked to them in KOREAN language and they confirmed it only applies to the AS version. We knew that in advance but wanted the tires anyway, She's running that up the chain. I think she will eventually win :)

Grip and steering response are good but not as good as my PSAS4. Rolling resistance, comfort, and NVH however are greatly improved over the PSAS4. I'd say the rolling resistance, comfort, and NVH is comparable to the OEM MXM4 but grip is significantly improved. No regrets on sacrificing a little grip for all of the comfort amenities. 3300 miles on the tires so far.
So the grip level is in between the mxm4 and the ps as4?

Walmart has fixed pricing on these tires now. My non-SUV set went up $240. The SUV set a friend bought for a MX went up $400.

$100 rebate was accepted by Hankook website for both non-SUV and SUV IONs.

PXL_20230410_200711412.jpg

Last edited:
So the grip level is in between the mxm4 and the ps as4?
Yes, but closer to the PSAS4. I remember the MXM4 feeling like being on ice skates. It grips well but I don't feel like I'd be as confident driving it spiritedly around corners in the canyon as I did on the PSAS4. It could be the sidewalls are slightly softer than the PSAS4, but of course, what you lose in sidewall stiffness you gain in comfort.

Reactions: enemji and XPsionic
Yes, but closer to the PSAS4. I remember the MXM4 feeling like being on ice skates. It grips well but I don't feel like I'd be as confident driving it spiritedly around corners in the canyon as I did on the PSAS4. It could be the sidewalls are slightly softer than the PSAS4, but of course, what you lose in sidewall stiffness you gain in comfort.
Perfect, thanks for the comparison. I also love driving in the canyons once in a while, the mxm4 are pretty terrible for that. The ion AS seem to strike a pretty good balance from what you said.

My ION non-SUV tires, has the diamond pattern.
My friends ION SUV tires, does not have the diamond pattern.

Both sets ordered at the same time from same place and have similar date codes.

Pics of my tire are high up, here are the SUV

IMG_1428.jpg

Yeah, he is certain. Even Hankook’s website indicates that 20” tires are indeed offered in both the iON evo AS and iON evo AS SUV. Below is a partial screen capture of Hankook product page for the iON evo AS SUV. As you can see, there are plenty of 20” options.

Appears the only practical difference between the standard and SUV version is the load index/rating. The stated load ratings for the SUV version are clearly higher, which of course makes sense since a typical SUV is going to be heavier than a typical sedan.

IMG_0685.png

Yeah, he is certain. Even Hankook’s website indicates that 20” tires are indeed offered in both the iON evo AS and iON evo AS SUV. Below is a partial screen capture of Hankook product page for the iON evo AS SUV. As you can see, there are plenty of 20” options.

Appears the only practical difference between the standard and SUV version is the load index/rating. The stated load ratings for the SUV version are clearly higher, which of course makes sense since a typical SUV is going to be heavier than a typical sedan.

View attachment 928324
I see only one 20” in the non suv

I see only one 20” in the non suv
That is correct.
I must have misunderstood your previous response to chapterbook7.
When he said, “I have a model x and both versions are available in the 20" size”
And your response was “r ur sure”,
I thought you were doubting that a 20” was offered in both the standard and SUV version. Of course, there is only one 20” size offered in the non-SUV. I think we’re all on the same page now. Sorry for the mixup, bro. 👍

Reactions: enemji
I drive a 2018 Model 3 Performance with 18” stock Aeros. I installed the Hankook EVO ION AS (235/45/18) on the first week of March 2023, now about 800 miles on them, and I was replacing my Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. I also am sitting on a Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers since 2 years.

On Comfort:
They are EXTREMELY QUIET as compared to any other tires I’ve had in the past (MXM4/20k miles and PSAS4/36k miles). They’re also a very comfortable ride throughout but that also might just be that I’m on a brand new set of rubber as I drove on the Michelin PSAS4s for 36k miles.

On Grip/Handling:
I’m not much of an ‘instant torque’ kind of a person, but sometimes I do floor, and this feels like it is gripping and handling better than the PSAS4s which felt very very “rubbery” on turns, stony pathways and on gravel. Also, I was on 245/45/18s on those Michelins and now on 235/45/18s, lesser contact is better on turns.

On Efficiency:
EXTREMELY SATISFIED looking at a 260-270 Wh/mile on my Trips card, as the PSAS4s were doing a wretched 310 Wh/mile averagely. A lot of difference there as I went with slimmer size and the rolling resistance as we know is also lesser.

Price:
Paid $258 per tire at America Tires in the SF Bay Area, but I did get credits for my Michelins so the cost came to about $750 for all four tires installed and out on the road! Pretty good deal!

Expectations:
I expect these to be like the way they are for about 20-25k miles and that’s the time I start researching on new tires. I have a 2022 Model X with Continental LX stock, I do want to replace them eventually to these Hankook EVO ION AS SUV tires when they reach about 15-17k miles for a quieter ride. I don’t see any reviews about these tires on an SUV, especially the heavy Model X, if you do, please share.

Thanks

I drive a 2018 Model 3 Performance with 18” stock Aeros. I installed the Hankook EVO ION AS (235/45/18) on the first week of March 2023, now about 800 miles on them, and I was replacing my Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. I also am sitting on a Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers since 2 years.

On Comfort:
They are EXTREMELY QUIET as compared to any other tires I’ve had in the past (MXM4/20k miles and PSAS4/36k miles). They’re also a very comfortable ride throughout but that also might just be that I’m on a brand new set of rubber as I drove on the Michelin PSAS4s for 36k miles.

On Grip/Handling:
I’m not much of an ‘instant torque’ kind of a person, but sometimes I do floor, and this feels like it is gripping and handling better than the PSAS4s which felt very very “rubbery” on turns, stony pathways and on gravel. Also, I was on 245/45/18s on those Michelins and now on 235/45/18s, lesser contact is better on turns.

On Efficiency:
EXTREMELY SATISFIED looking at a 260-270 Wh/mile on my Trips card, as the PSAS4s were doing a wretched 310 Wh/mile averagely. A lot of difference there as I went with slimmer size and the rolling resistance as we know is also lesser.

Price:
Paid $258 per tire at America Tires in the SF Bay Area, but I did get credits for my Michelins so the cost came to about $750 for all four tires installed and out on the road! Pretty good deal!

Expectations:
I expect these to be like the way they are for about 20-25k miles and that’s the time I start researching on new tires. I have a 2022 Model X with Continental LX stock, I do want to replace them eventually to these Hankook EVO ION AS SUV tires when they reach about 15-17k miles for a quieter ride. I don’t see any reviews about these tires on an SUV, especially the heavy Model X, if you do, please share.

Thanks
Thanks for this! I've been researching if i should stay with PSAS4's or get the ION AS SUV for my MYP. Will try ION now.