Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what was your wh/mile before the new tires?
Didn't keep that, but here are some snips from Teslamate on drives with an average mean of at least 55MPH this calendar year going back to late April (further back is worthless because of winter in MN). None of these are a duplicate route.

New tires:

1691431533809.png

Old tires:

1691431712716.png

The route that I thought I'd have coming up for a solid comparison (75 minute drive to my in-laws) is all under construction so it may be next year before I have as close to an apples to apples (cannot control wind/temps/traffic conditions) comparison as possible.

Here is some data from my PSAS4's vs my Hanhook ION AS SUV's once broken in, taken on the same stretches of pavement, respectively.

Dry acceleration at 97% SoC:
PSAS4:
1691725155937.png

Hankook ION AS SUV:
1691725188778.png

Dry braking PSAS4:
1691725231958.png

Hankook ION AS SUV:
1691725252714.png

Wet braking PSAS4:
1691725291768.png

Hankook ION AS SUV:
1691725309868.png

Daily commute driving more or less the speed limit without any nonsense PSAS4 (Initial SoC=80%, Driving mode "Normal" which de-rates the car to 429hp which would result in 0-60's of 4.0-4.2s per my testing including the 1ft roll-out.):
1691725347882.png

Hankook ION AS SUV:
1691725399615.png

The sound test is subjective because outright dB matters a lot less than tone and frequency. As such, the Ion AS SUV's are much more muted sounding over impacts, and have far less noise on the freeway. Neither tire "hates" any specific surface. The IONs ride smoother over gravel roads. The snow test is forthcoming and since I cannot drive the same patch of snow twice, temps are a huge deal, compression of surface as well, it will be subjective comparison, also. The tread depths for the ION AS SUV were 10/32, and the PSAS4, 7/32, for this data set generation. Data was generated on different days but with temps and surface quality and consistency as controlled as possible.

Last edited:
Here is some data from my PSAS4's vs my Hanhook ION AS SUV's once broken in, taken on the same stretches of pavement, respectively.

Dry acceleration at 97% SoC:
PSAS4:
View attachment 963915

Hankook ION AS SUV:
View attachment 963916

Dry braking PSAS4:
View attachment 963917

Hankook ION AS SUV:
View attachment 963918

Wet braking PSAS4:
View attachment 963919

Hankook ION AS SUV:
View attachment 963920

Daily commute driving more or less the speed limit without any nonsense PSAS4 (Initial SoC=80%):
View attachment 963921

Hankook ION AS SUV:
View attachment 963922

The sound test is subjective because outright dB matters a lot less than tone and frequency. As such, the Ion AS SUV's are much more muted sounding over impacts, and have far less noise on the freeway. Neither tire "hates" any specific surface. The IONs ride smoother over gravel roads. The snow test is forthcoming and since I cannot drive the same patch of snow twice, temps are a huge deal, compression of surface as well, it will be subjective comparison, also. The tread depths for the ION AS SUV were 10/32, and the PSAS4, 7/32, for this data set generation. Data was generated on different days but with temps and surface quality and consistency as controlled as possible.

Efficiency is surprising, thought ION Is suppoesd to give much better efficiency than even the OEM Cont? I found the AS4 gave me slightly worse (+5%) compared to the OEM Cont for me

Reactions: XPsionic
Efficiency is surprising, thought ION Is suppoesd to give much better efficiency than even the OEM Cont? I found the AS4 gave me slightly worse (+5%) compared to the OEM Cont for me
Both tires were run at around 38-40psi cold. I, too, was a bit let down over this. I have not noticed any improvement in time. They continue to mirror exact values I was achieving with my PSAS4's. The one thing that makes them "worth it" is how damn quiet they are vs the PSAS4's.

Reactions: XPsionic
Seems the consensus is:

Mich PSAS4 tried and true, perfect tire
HK iON AS not as efficient but close and much quieter

Think it’s a toss up

Still watching the BS Turanza EV
Although not AS, would consider for my M3

The Model 3 people using iON AS have been getting slightly better efficiency than most other AS tires including the PSAS4 actually. Seems like the trade off is that no one says the iON AS handles/grips better than the PSAS4s
evo iON AS is a "grand touring" category (like MXM4), PSAS4 is a high-performance category so the trade-off (less noise, more comfort, less grip, particularly wet) is as expected.

I think the Pirelli PZero Elect is a high-performance category and might be even more directly suitable as a comparator to PSAS4. Porsche and BMW use some OEM versions of that on some of their EV/wheel combinations.

Sorry for the dumb question, but can you confirm that "Hankook iON evo AS IH01 All Season 235/40R19 96W XL Passenger Tire"
is the right size for the stock 19" rims on a '18 Model 3? For whatever reason, Walmart says it won't fit my car, but that is the size DT has for it. I saw pics in another thread of another tire seemingly not wide enough to fit on the stock rim, so I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks!

Damn Discount Tire has these on sale for $210 each right now. You won't see the discount until you add them to the cart. I was going to ask them to price match as I found them online for $210 elsewhere, but it looks like as luck would have it they are already $210 each.

I have been looking at the Pirelli ELECT's ($271 each) but at $210 a tire for the Hankook's I feel like this is too good of a deal to pass up now...

Damn Discount Tire has these on sale for $210 each right now. You won't see the discount until you add them to the cart. I was going to ask them to price match as I found them online for $210 elsewhere, but it looks like as luck would have it they are already $210 each.

I have been looking at the Pirelli ELECT's ($271 each) but at $210 a tire for the Hankook's I feel like this is too good of a deal to pass up now...

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not seeing that. When I check discount tire and them to my cart, I'm seeing $267 per tire. Maybe the discount varies by location?

You need to go to your cart. They show $267 each but then there is a credit at the bottom of $228

Got it. Thanks! So what are everyone's thoughts on purchasing 'certificates' with Discount Tire? They supposedly already have flat tire repair included in the standard price, and the tires have a manufacturer's tread life warranty. I typically purchase through Tire Rack, so not that familiar with what Discount Tire will and will not do to take care of issues. Thanks again.