Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had read that tire warranties give you credit that can only be used to purchase a new tire from the same manufacturing group. So apparently you got cash from Hankook to buy Pirelli which is non-standard, or somehow the shop managed to make that happen, was there anything special there?
The tire shop returned the credit back to me themselves. I wasn't able to go through the proper tire manufacturer warranty process because my tires were no longer in possession. This was a one-off for me because of the mileage warranty discrepancy between their system and my original receipt.

Sorry guys I did not go with the Ion Evo Summer as there was no warranty. The PS 4S was on sale and had 30k warranty and hide a wider size so I went with the 4S. 245/45/18. Discount tire price match costco including removing their install fees and beat it by another few bucks. I really wanted to try the Ion Evos.
At that price the PS4S are a great choice. The biggest issue with the PS4S in the past has typically been their price. With all of the new competition the price has come down a lot and they still are a fantastic tire.

• Helpful
Reactions: FatM3
Sorry guys I did not go with the Ion Evo Summer as there was no warranty. The PS 4S was on sale and had 30k warranty
What's amazing is that the less sports oriented non 'S' Pilot Sport 4 (which has an official Tesla variant) summer has only 20K warranty. Lots of other summer tires have no mileage warranty. How does Michelin do it? Or are they willing to eat lots of profit for prestige?

Hankook is going to lose most of the replacement business with the Ion summers and no warranty. I guess they are concentrating on European OEM EV market, where summers come standard and high efficiency (without lifetime) is valued.

• Helpful
Reactions: FatM3
I am getting the Hankook Ions AS, on Tuesday all 4 tires are being replaced. I ran the Kinergy GT's down to 2mm probably to the line. 49,000 miles, could have probably waited another month but its sort of like Winter here in New England. Driving baldy or low tread in feb march, not exactly smart. If the thread is still open in a few months I will give you professional long range opinions.

My total W/h was 248 over 50,000 miles with the Kinergy tires and that was with a learning curve. If I knew what I know now it would probably have been in the 235 area maybe 240.

Feb 26th 2024 new tires on. I will check back in at the end of March. Driving alot typically in standard mode I will get around 230 W/H per day. Driving chill between 205 and 220. Lets see what the Ions offer... there quite expensive 268 apiece. They might be the most expensive tires at the shop.

Taking advantage of our Low Price Guarantee has its advantages. We will not be undersold. If a competitor has a lower advertised price, we would adjust accordingly. We are also available here on the forum. Look us up if we may be of assistance. 👍

When I've had Discount Tire "match" a quote, they just wanted an "out the door" quote from the other place to show them and they change their prices to win. In my case it was a buy 3 get 1 free deal, so they just dropped the price of each tire ~25% to get it to work and I still got the mfg mail in rebate to make it even lower. I'm just sad that I moved and am now 150 miles from the nearest Discount Tire.

When I've had Discount Tire "match" a quote, they just wanted an "out the door" quote from the other place to show them and they change their prices to win. In my case it was a buy 3 get 1 free deal, so they just dropped the price of each tire ~25% to get it to work and I still got the mfg mail in rebate to make it even lower. I'm just sad that I moved and am now 150 miles from the nearest Discount Tire.
We greatly appreciate your past business. Don't worry, we are still growing and could potentially be in you area soon. Here is our store locator to keep track. Now with our sister company Tire Rack, you can also have product shipped to your door. Let us know if we can be of assistance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tezla041
We greatly appreciate your past business. Don't worry, we are still growing and could potentially be in you area soon. Here is our store locator to keep track. Now with our sister company Tire Rack, you can also have product shipped to your door or even a qualified installer. Let us know if we can be of assistance.
Hey discount tire....you recent automated phone changes are aweful..cant get thru to any store via phone to order tires so had to go there and order. Used to be i could call and would get connected quickly but now its always" we are too busy to answer your call from a robot and call later"

Hey discount tire....you recent automated phone changes are aweful..cant get thru to any store via phone to order tires so had to go there and order. Used to be i could call and would get connected quickly but now its always" we are too busy to answer your call from a robot and call later"
Be nice to our Discount KING - we typically never get folks directly from the companies (sans MPP) to respond to us on the forums.

Our apologies for your recent experience with our new phone system. Every experience, good or bad is critical information we will use in fine tuning the process. Our goal is to provide an inviting and easy tire/wheel purchase to all customers, by phone or in person. Thank you for sharing your experience. We hope you don't mind us sending you a DM to gather more information.

Drove today Hankook Ion Evo AS - seemingly better w/h - much better control and seemingly more quiet.

W/H over a full 90% battery 219 W/H standard mode generally 5 MPH over speed limit.

To early to say but first impressions seem really good. I am only comparing these to the Kinergy GT 94 V
These felt heavier no sway, and less energy. The tires are brand new so... but they felt wonderful.

I did the math based on my current energy cost (15 cents per kWh) and estimated tire life (30,000 miles). For each wh/mi increase, the lifetime cost of the tire increases by $5. So if going with a decent tire bumps up my lifetime efficiency from 225wh/mi to 250, that's only $125 more over the lifetime of the tire, meanwhile a set of those tires might cost $250 less than the ION EVO or MXM4.

Obviously this varies greatly on your energy rates, expected tire tread life, tire sales in your area, etc but I was surprised to find that the impacts of tire efficiency are a lot less than I expected. If I were to factor in my solar panels into the calculations, the higher efficiency tires would save me nearly $0 for 9 months of the year 🙃

What I'll end up doing is making a list of several tires and just get the one that has the best price at the time of replacement. So far I'm considering the all season variants of the following:
  • Hankook ION EVO
  • Michelin MXM4
  • Michelin Pilot Sport
  • Continental DWS 06
  • Hankook Kinergy GT
  • Goodyear Electric Drive GT

And of course I will only have my tires serviced at Discount Tire. They've always offered the best service and have been willing to match prices with online retailers and discount warehouse clubs like Costco and Sam's Club.

I did the math based on my current energy cost (15 cents per kWh) and estimated tire life (30,000 miles). For each wh/mi increase, the lifetime cost of the tire increases by $5. So if going with a decent tire bumps up my lifetime efficiency from 225wh/mi to 250, that's only $125 more over the lifetime of the tire, meanwhile a set of those tires might cost $250 less than the ION EVO or MXM4.

Obviously this varies greatly on your energy rates, expected tire tread life, tire sales in your area, etc but I was surprised to find that the impacts of tire efficiency are a lot less than I expected. If I were to factor in my solar panels into the calculations, the higher efficiency tires would save me nearly $0 for 9 months of the year 🙃

What I'll end up doing is making a list of several tires and just get the one that has the best price at the time of replacement. So far I'm considering the all season variants of the following:
  • Hankook ION EVO
  • Michelin MXM4
  • Michelin Pilot Sport
  • Continental DWS 06
  • Hankook Kinergy GT

Pirelli PZero AS Elect. It used to be ~$250 on Discount Tire website near me, and now $212 for 235/45R18. And $80 off temporarily on a set of 4.

General GMax AS-07

Nokian One (80k mile warranty)

And of course I will only have my tires serviced at Discount Tire. They've always offered the best service and have been willing to match prices with online retailers and discount warehouse clubs like Costco and Sam's Club.

• Hankook ION EVO
  • Michelin MXM4
  • Michelin Pilot Sport
  • Continental DWS 06
  • Hankook Kinergy GT

If you are charging at home and especially if you are charging off of solar then cost of energy is so minuscule that trying to reduce the cost is pointless.

The only time efficiency should really matter is if you are trying to extend the maximum range of the vehicle because you intend to drive very long distances without stopping to charge.

If a car experiences 10%+ of degradation and you have a need to maximize its range then improving the efficiency might help offset that degradation. Otherwise it really is kind of a frivolous exercise.

Reactions: TexaCali

• Hankook ION EVO
  • Michelin MXM4
  • Michelin Pilot Sport
  • Continental DWS 06
  • Hankook Kinergy GT

Thank you for your kind words and recognition, we greatly appreciate your business and support. Taking advantage of our Low Price Guarantee gives piece of mind knowing your getting the best price on your tire purchase.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tezla041
Thank you for your kind words and recognition, we greatly appreciate your business and support. Taking advantage of our Low Price Guarantee gives piece of mind knowing your getting the best price on your tire purchase.
Now, if only a 5mm spacer to correct the offset on a set of wheels wasn’t enough to make all of the people using them have to go elsewhere for tires…