Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the concern for the end user would be that you don't know what SOC Tesla is storing your battery at while they await your return visit. If they indeed keep it lower and it works as you say then that would eliminate all of my concerns.

Good point. I hadn't considered that. Perhaps somebody who's done a swap can comment about what SOC their battery was when they returned? Failing any hard data, I would think they would either default to 90% or allow the user to specify somehow. Perhaps ideally you'd be given direct control of it, like you have of the installed battery pack via the app. That way you could leave it low and time the charging to your desired threshold upon your arrival.

Just had my 9th swap today(1st leg of my 5th round trip from SF to LA)...Funny thing is at the next stop Tejon Ranch, I just needed 5 minutes of SC to get home(85-95mph), but it was all full! I ended up having to wait 20 minutes to charge 5 minutes...Tesla needs a swapping station at Tejon Ranch too..

I recall someone wanted some before and after photos...Here's a set from my last round trip...I usually receive a battery that is 100% charged, but this one was 95% or whatever the last tick is.

The swap only takes a few minutes. I usually grab a sandwich from Subway next to the station, and its a good chance the car is done by the time my sandwich is made. =) In this case the car was done in 6 minutes and the sandwich took 9 minutes.

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention, last time I received my own battery back it was also 95% charged...but since my battery has 30k miles on it the rated range was more like 245. Luckily, I only need 232 to get home at 90mph, so that was fine.

Here's a video I took on the first swap a few months ago...

[video]https://youtu.be/LTz3Hsu0788[/video]

Thanks for the report on your pack swap experience. Surprised to hear that the Harris Ranch swap station is that busy, however compared to the number of Telsa that pass by there on I5 every day probably only a very small percentage of them do a pack swap, so I think Elon's statement about there being minimal interest in swapping is basically correct.

Nice article.
I'm doing a battery swap on Friday (but not for TMC Connect! ;))
Wondering if the new battery you get is always 100% range charged, perhaps I can skip Tejon Ranch and make it all the way to Rancho Cucamonga SuperCharger? (given it being Friday and TMC Connect going on, the I-5 route SuperChargers will see typical saturated use).

Anyone else done this 237 mile route from Harris Ranch to Rancho Cucamonga SuperCharger on a single range charge?
I suspect it will require some decent hypermiling, but I'm always up for a good challenge :D

Here's my report on my swap experience. Took 7 minutes average -- not completely automated.

Battery Swap | TESLA OWNER

Would I do it again - yes at Harris Ranch but not necessarily always. Other locations? maybe.

Not so fond of the appointment system.

Last edited:
Elon's statement was only about the first 200 invitees though. Not sure how much interest there actually is. Don't know how many appointment there are either. If it is only one an hour or two an hour etc...?

Thanks for the report on your pack swap experience. Surprised to hear that the Harris Ranch swap station is that busy, however compared to the number of Telsa that pass by there on I5 every day probably only a very small percentage of them do a pack swap, so I think Elon's statement about there being minimal interest in swapping is basically correct.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what happens when someone just simply never returns (intentionally or not). A question for Tesla that I did not ask.

So what happens if you don't return & re-swap your battery?
How long will they hold your battery?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

yes, they are always fully range charged (well maybe 99%). That is the one big advantage to supercharging if you are trying to hypermile.

I'd be actually inclined to go through Mojave not Tejon. Just avoiding LA traffic and staying out in the boonies. Haven't calculated the exact mileage either way.

Nice article.
I'm doing a battery swap on Friday (but not for TMC Connect! ;))
Wondering if the new battery you get is always 100% range charged, perhaps I can skip Tejon Ranch and make it all the way to Rancho Cucamonga SuperCharger? (given it being Friday and TMC Connect going on, the I-5 route SuperChargers will see typical saturated use).

Anyone else done this 237 mile route from Harris Ranch to Rancho Cucamonga SuperCharger on a single range charge?
I suspect it will require some decent hypermiling, but I'm always up for a good challenge :D

I inquired about support for 60KWh cars and received a response from Mark Brooks, Battery Swap Station Service Manager that "Yes. We are supporting the 60 kw version".
That's very cool and of course leads to a lot of other questions but I think I will try it out next time I am driving to LA and back from the Bay Area.

So has anyone with a 60 done a swap?
Or even received the email invitation?

Upgrades are not supported.

Yep.. to reiterate, suspension must be modified/changed to support the added mass of the larger pack. The pack upgrade can be done, it's just not cheap. Also, you will likely have to make your Tesla service manager's life hell before he will even consider doing it. At least until Tesla publically acknowledges that pack upgrade can and will be done.

Unfortunately I had to make a night drive, so no battery swap this time. I'm writing this while supercharging at Harris ranch...I feel spoiled by battery swapping, which I would have left 30 minutes ago.

There seems to be another 4 temporary sc stalls here making a total of 10. Anyone have a fork lift? Heh

Yep.. to reiterate, suspension must be modified/changed to support the added mass of the larger pack. The pack upgrade can be done, it's just not cheap. Also, you will likely have to make your Tesla service manager's life hell before he will even consider doing it. At least until Tesla publically acknowledges that pack upgrade can and will be done.

That is too bad. A really compelling case for pack swapping would be for a 60 car to get an 85 or 90 pack for that 'couple of times a year' road trip, then get your 60 pack back at the end of the trip.