TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Harris Ranch Superchargers and Supercharging Software Update

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by highedu, Feb 28, 2013.

1. highedu

highedu Member

I'll be using the Harris Ranch supercharger this weekend and called Tesla to confirm availability. The service rep on the pohne told me they have 2 chargers for the Model S and not 1. She said both were superchargers after i clarified if one was Roadster.

Can somebody confirm Harris Ranch as being capable of supercharging 2 Model S at the same time?

Also, she deployed a software update while on the phone which she said was to make supercharging issue free. I alread was running v2 so not sure what this update is. Folks have any idea?

2. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Each supercharger pedestal is set up to charge one car on each side, IIUC. So any supercharger installation will charge pairs of cars... 2, 4, or whatever, but not 1 or 3.

3. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

As of now there is still only ONE Supercharger at Harris Ranch. This is supposed to be expanded sometime in March (or so other's have been told).

4. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

There are many variants of pedastals, but I've only seen (Gilroy, harris ranch, tejon ranch, and hawthorne) superchargers are all single pedestal, single charger. The pedestal is located on the drivers side as the cord is very short and requires precision parking in order to plug in.

At Harris Ranch, there is a roadster charger on the other side of the wall from the supercharger. However, the last time I was there, the cable was padlocked to the charger.

5. highedu

highedu Member

1 supercharger with 2 ports meaning 2 cars can charge at once?

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Only one at this time. Harris ranch is the exception to the odd/even rule.

7. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

At Hawthorne, there are 5 supercharger stalls, 4 of them are active, the last stall is still "in-training".

8. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

The actual Supercharging "behind the scenes" unit does support two 90KW connections. At Harris Ranch their is only one parking spot hence only one connector for a car.

9. highedu

highedu Member

Interesting, the lady at Tesla who comes on when you select supercharger from the menu told me there are 2 at Harris Ranch.

With respect to the software update, any ideas on what software update she has pushed for supercharging?

10. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

At Harris Ranch only one car can park by the Supercharger. If there's already a car parked there, you can't use it.

When I was there in January, there was a Roadster charger with a Model S converter on it there as well, I used that while waiting for the supercharger to open up. Didn't look like you could remove the converter so Roadster owners might be out of luck...

11. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Nope, it supports 120kW total. How exactly it can be distributed is unclear, but at least 90/30 is possible. I guess also 60/60 and hope for 70/50, 80/40 etc. also being possible.

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#2 to pug in ramps up as the other ramps down. There is really no delay for either in most instances.

13. highedu

highedu Member

I'll be at Harris ranch on Saturday around noon, any experience in the recent past with wait on Saturdays?

14. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

I was there midday Sunday... It was empty when I arrived and when I left an hour later. Gilroy had 8 S's, and I did have to wait 10-15 minutes for a space.

FYI the Harris Valley SC was hard to find. It's at the Shell station; a single space pretty much attached to the convenience store.

15. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

It's hit or miss if someone else is charging. I have not charged there recently.

16. highedu

highedu Member

The supercharger update is installing, 45 min left, lets see what it does

17. highedu

highedu Member

So stopped at Harris Ranch twice yesterday to and from Bakersfield. Each time I stopped there were 3 of us so can't wait until they build out the remaining chargers there.

met some friendly MS owners including a gentleman who was driving cross country in his signature through Vegas to Boston.

I can confirm that the second charger is super slow, slower than my 14-50 at home even.

18. Elshout

Elshout Member

Superchargers in Folsom are also single pedestal but there are FOUR of them.

19. Russell B

Russell B Member

Stopped at Harris Ranch for a charge and was thrilled to report that the new superchargers are installed and ready to go. That's the good news. The bad news is PG&E will not do the connection for at least two weeks. I was told that PG&E has known about this for months. If anyone has grease at that utility, use it to get this great addition operational.

20. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Oh man! I read that and was really excited till I saw the bad news part. I'm taking a trip in two weekends. Crossing my fingers!