Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch Superchargers and Supercharging Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The serial # of the unit give a hint of how many units they have installed. The old one at Harris Ranch was #7. This new one is #27. Each unit controls two charge bays. So this means there are approximately 50 bays installed as of now.

Ok let's do a bay count!

1- Harris single bay
6- Harris new bays
4 in Gilroy
4 in Folsom
6 in Tejon
2 in Barstow
5 in Hawthorne (some down...)
4 in Delaware
2 in Milford Northbound
2 in Milford Southbound

I count 19 superchargers for 36 bays. We should hear about the location of the missing 8 superchargers pretty soon!

FWIW, here's a pic if the plate on the back of the big hardware box.

Supercharger 120?

azy9ajeq.jpg

410 Volts times 210 amps equals 86 KW maximum, or am I missing something?

410 Volts times 210 amps equals 86 KW maximum, or am I missing something?

Something certainly doesn't add up. For one thing, that rating plate is identical to the old single-port supercharger at Harris Ranch (see http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10733-SuperCharger-Launch?p=202717&viewfull=1#post202717), which was speculated to be a 9-module unit hence limited to 90kW. These new units are presumably 120kW nominal since they are serving two bays each.

Your calculation is generous anyhow: 410 volts is the maximum, and in normal operation the supercharger never delivers maximum current at maximum voltage (due to the need to protect the battery by tapering the current as the voltage rises). Possibly the clue is in that 'MAX CONTINUOUS' rating - that allows the possibility of the short-term rating being higher, or perhaps its thermally limited and the 210A number is meant to be the guaranteed available output.

The input numbers make more sense: 480V * sqrt(3) * 160A = 133kW, or 208V * sqrt(3) * 280A = 100.9kW. Maybe the old single unit was limited by being hooked up to a 208V supply.

Whichever way you look at it, the rating plate isn't telling the whole story...

Not sure if this info helps but here is what I learned yesterday at Harris Ranch SC.

As I pulled up to the new chargers yesterday on my way back from LA, I was greeted by a Tesla employee who said they were not operational but would be back online in the next few minutes. There were already 2 Model S in line at the Shell SC, so I decided to hang out and wait for him to flip the power switch. Unfortunately it took over an hour for him to figure out how to re-enable the 1000A breaker that PGE had installed. But this did give me some time to ask him a few questions.

He did confirm that that each Bay has 12 modules of the 10kW chargers, and that when two cars share, such as 1A and 1B, then they would evenly split the use of those 12 chargers. He also confirmed there is no difference between the two back in stalls vs other 4. I was also a bit curious to know if more SCs were coming to the West Coast, and while I did not get a straight answer, I can only presume that they are not far off from being installed !!!

Is it just me or does it seem that the Supercharger "roll-out" has cratered? It has now been close to 5 months since the meager offering in the East. And Elon has bombastically indicated that we're gonna be amazed at the roll-out, size and breadth. I feel like I've been and am being conned. How about a little honesty on the subject.

Is it just me or does it seem that the Supercharger "roll-out" has cratered? It has now been close to 5 months since the meager offering in the East. And Elon has bombastically indicated that we're gonna be amazed at the roll-out, size and breadth. I feel like I've been and am being conned. How about a little honesty on the subject.
My guess is they're negotiating some massive deal with a franchise like mcdonalds or even a gas station francise for some kind of massive nationwide rollout that would really be a game changer. Lots of moving parts to this to ensure it's success. This is the only why for rapid deployment - they don't need to be reinventing the wheel.. there are existing interstate exit locations that could be used that has food/bathrooms/shopping. I think the wisest thing is to partner up.

Even if it's mcd's... even though people don't prefer their food... at least there are bathrooms and coffee drinks... it would be a win win for both tesla and mcd's as it would bring more business and attention their way... imagine... mcd's as a big proponent for EV's...

Somethings cooking for sure.

Well they never said they would roll out station immediately. I personally think the first batch (California, and the two between DC and Boston) were engineering test stations. I think with all the rumored 120kW charging rumored that they modified/improved their hardware slightly. And assuming all their other testing went well they will start negotiating for spots to put up superchargers.

It would be reckless to just start installing these things without doing a real world test for a little while. I fully expect an explosion of stations, just probably not until late summer early fall.

Well they never said they would roll out station immediately. I personally think the first batch (California, and the two between DC and Boston) were engineering test stations. I think with all the rumored 120kW charging rumored that they modified/improved their hardware slightly. And assuming all their other testing went well they will start negotiating for spots to put up superchargers.

It would be reckless to just start installing these things without doing a real world test for a little while. I fully expect an explosion of stations, just probably not until late summer early fall.

Completely agree. They have already been iterating the charging bay design. And based on a few trips to the Gilroy supercharger, it seems like they have also been iterating the charge controller hardware and/or software as well. I can definitely understand the frustration at not having a supercharger close enough to be of much use. But it makes perfect sense to get the design refined a bit before you start making hundreds or thousands of copies.

Charge time with 60 kWr pack

Does the 60kWh battery pack getting a Supercharge charge at the same relative rate as the 85 kWh pack, so that it takes the same total time to get a full charge, including power taper, or does it charge at the same maximum 90kW at the beginning, taper down sooner, and finish quicker ? Reports of actual time to charge experience with the 60 kWh pack would be most valuable.