Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gotten their $3.5K back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$3,500 isn't a lot of money, except as an irritant. People waste that much on cheap funky looking wheels, or going up a driveway wrong with an airdam.

What I'm hearing in threads like this and others, is once you pay your deposit In The New Compelling Paradigm:

1) If the car is badly damaged, you must accept it. They will fix it, but it could take several months or more.
2) If features you purchased and you are told they will be functional when you order it are not functional at final payment, you must accept it, whether or not the features ever becomes enabled.
3) If you pay your money, and are told you will receive a car in X months, that means absolutely nothing. If they want to hold the car for a year? You are stuck. This becomes important if there is some kind of significant engineering or financial change.

But it works fine for 99% of folk. Just like collision insurance, fire insurance, business insurance, you REALLY don't need to worry, since only 1% of folk get the pointy end of the stick.

So dump all your insurance policies. You won't need them. Or maybe dealerships weren't 100% evil?

I can ABSOLUTELY understand if somebody picks special paint, special dash, special headliner, special wheels, different battery, etc. A custom car. Model 3LR's are not custom. They are a commodity at this stage.

Last edited:
For context:
Post the entire quote where Elon said nothing was wrong.

Tesla and Consumer Reports continue feud following Model 3 review

Says it was a spokesperson who disputed/downplayed the CR report findings. Not Elon. You live long enough you learn to equate Tesla and Elon. I stand corrected.

Double dog BS:
Actual Tesla rep quote: (per jalopnik)
“Tesla’s own testing has found braking distances with an average of 133 feet when conducting the 60-0 mph stops using the 18” Michelin all season tire and as low as 126 feet with all tires currently available. Stopping distance results are affected by variables such as road surface, weather conditions, tire temperature, brake conditioning, outside temperature, and past driving behavior that may have affected the brake system. Unlike other vehicles, Tesla is uniquely positioned to address more corner cases over time through over-the-air software updates, and it continually does so to improve factors such as stopping distance.”
What was said:
  • Doesn't match our results
  • Things that could cause the difference
  • Ability to fix via OTA, if possible/needed
Even the chopped version (with a whole seven quoted words) you referenced doesn't say CR is wrong or that there isn't a problem (even though the article tried to make it Tesla vs CR)

Not surprisingly, Tesla took issue with the claim. In a statement, a spokesperson maintained that its testing showed a 133-foot braking distance using the 18-inch Michelin all-season tires. The company also claimed that CR's test units may have been affected by a number of factors, including temperatures (both for the tires and the environment), the road surface and even "past driving behavior." And if there were issues, the spokesperson said, Tesla was in a better place to "address more corner cases" through software updates that could improve the stopping distance.

Tesla/ Elon handled this as well as anyone could. They stated the data they had, gave some possibilities, stated if there was a HW problem it would be fixed for free, looked into issue, found a problem, and are working to fix it. All in a day's time.

So quit making things up and repeating false narratives.

For context:

Double dog BS:
Actual Tesla rep quote: (per jalopnik)

What was said:
  • Doesn't match our results
  • Things that could cause the difference
  • Ability to fix via OTA, if possible/needed
Even the chopped version (with a whole seven quoted words) you referenced doesn't say CR is wrong or that there isn't a problem (even though the article tried to make it Tesla vs CR)

Tesla/ Elon handled this as well as anyone could. They stated the data they had, gave some possibilities, stated if there was a HW problem it would be fixed for free, looked into issue, found a problem, and are working to fix it. All in a day's time.

So quit making things up and repeating false narratives.
You don’t see that quote as Tesla blaming CR’s results on CR’s testing? Wrong car, wrong conditions, wrong methodology, wrong tires, wrong road, wrong temperature. Our average is this. We tested braking 100 times, threw out the outliers and averaged the rest. Yes, I am making their quotes up. Because no one has EVER had to read between the lines or second guess quotes coming out of Tesla/Elon. CR is reporting the outliers, being explicit about it. When you have to stop short, do you want to bet your life that you are in an average Model 3?

Later in the day Elon as much as admitted that the issue was with software, and the internet speculated exactly what it is: perhaps too much regen, not enough disc.

Good on Tesla for being able to fix braking OTA, and good for us being able to recap the story with Elon’s Twitter promises as the punchline. When the story first came out it was: Tesla disagrees with CR’s findings, as usual.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You don’t see that quote as Tesla blaming CR’s results on CR’s testing? Wrong car, wrong conditions, wrong methodology, wrong tires, wrong road, wrong temperature.

No, I don't. Let's break it down:

Tesla test results: Tesla’s own testing has found braking distances with an average of 133 feet when conducting the 60-0 mph stops using the 18” Michelin all season tire and as low as 126 feet with all tires currently available.

External factors: Stopping distance results are affected by variables such as road surface, weather conditions, tire temperature, brake conditioning, outside temperature, and past driving behavior that may have affected the brake system.

Potential fix: Unlike other vehicles, Tesla is uniquely positioned to address more corner cases over time through over-the-air software updates, and it continually does so to improve factors such as stopping distance.

Nowhere in external factors does it say anything about CR doing it wrong. When investigating an issue it is critical to determine the environment under which the failure happened. Different != wrong, bring up potential differences is not accusation.

Reactions: MP3Mike
RE: the original subject of this thread -

Called and said I was upset that the delay is causing me to lose the WA state tax incentive; could I take delivery in CA, is there anything I can do to get the car earlier. I had called a couple weeks ago when co-workers got instant VINs after I configured and asked if I should/could change my configuration to make sure I got a car by 5/31; was told there would be no problem.

Received an email from an ISA saying that my options were to 1) wait 2) get a refund.

• Informative
Reactions: ponzu and McRat
RE: the original subject of this thread -

Called and said I was upset that the delay is causing me to lose the WA state tax incentive; could I take delivery in CA, is there anything I can do to get the car earlier. I had called a couple weeks ago when co-workers got instant VINs after I configured and asked if I should/could change my configuration to make sure I got a car by 5/31; was told there would be no problem.

Received an email from an ISA saying that my options were to 1) wait 2) get a refund.
Thanks!

I think the tally is:
1 person reporting a friend getting a refund
1 person (you) reporting a refund being mentioned as an option
1 person reporting losing his deposit

Not enough to make a sound assumption, but I am not going to worry about it for now. There was a lot of good info in this thread to allay my anxiety.

Still going back and forth with the ISA but they seem unwilling to "deconfigure" - i.e. refund the $2500 and wait for AWD/P, which is what I wanted to do originally but figured it was worth going first production model for the extra WA state (~$3200) incentive.