Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone realized how profoundly FSD will disrupt Real Estate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Realtors, watch out!

Consider this:

2026 Tesla Cyber RV: uses FSD to drive 24/7.

Operating principle: When the time derivative of your position is 0, you generally do not need to pay rent or a mortgage.

In other words, when your Tesla Cyber RV is running FSD, it is driving around 24/7 on public roads, which means you:

1) No longer have to pay rent

2) No longer have to pay your house mortgage

3) No longer have to pay your home's property tax

Tesla Cyber RV: saving you $1000s a month.

I predict that a future Tesla Cyber RV will revolutionize home ownership and instead people will opt to live on public roads in their constantly moving Tesla RVs ... see all those cars on the highway? They're not paying rent to be on the highway. The space is "free." When the time derivative of your position is 0, you generally do not need to pay rent or a mortgage.

I think this belongs in the investment thread.

Are you saying people would have their car constantly drive around so they don't have to park somewhere to sleep? If you really have tons of cars just driving around to not pay rent, traffic would be so bad that I guess you could get a good sleep just sitting in the perpetual traffic jam.

Before I clicked the thread, I thought you were going to say how people would have less of an incentive to live close to their workplaces if they can relax, work or sleep on their commute since that time would now be productive so people could live further out which would more evenly spread out the pricing disparity between urban centers and far away suburbia.

Realtors, watch out!

Consider this:

Operating principle: When the time derivative of your position is 0, you generally do not need to pay rent or a mortgage.

In other words, when your Tesla Cyber RV is running FSD, it is driving around 24/7 on public roads, which means you:

I predict that a future Tesla Cyber RV will revolutionize home ownership and instead people will opt to live on public roads in their constantly moving Tesla RVs ... see all those cars on the highway? They're not paying rent to be on the highway. The space is "free." When the time derivative of your position is 0, you generally do not need to pay rent or a mortgage.
I thought you were going to say real estate in places far away from densely populated areas could rise in value since more people are willing to travel to work longer distances using robotaxi (and sleeping/working/watching TV in their car for example).

In other words: a shift in property value.

That seems more likely than just living in a mobile house, which you would have to charge, which should be stationary when you sleep at least, etc. In most countries it's illegal to sleep in your car on public roads, even when parked.

So no, not gonna happen.

I predict that a future Tesla Cyber RV will revolutionize home ownership and instead people will opt to live on public roads in their constantly moving Tesla RVs ... see all those cars on the highway? They're not paying rent to be on the highway. The space is "free."
Nothing would change. Society would rebalance around the fact that people are always living on the road. Politicians would tax the RV lifestyle (just as they're adding taxes/fees onto EVs because they don't provide gas tax revenue). Road tolls would go up all over the place. Power hookups would be expensive to the point of extortion. The same with sewer and water. When your RV needs service, you'd pay the same sorts of rates that you pay to have your home worked on, if not higher.

I would find it quite satisfying to learn that your ancestors were nomads.

When the time derivative of your position is 0, you generally do not need to pay rent or a mortgage.

Lots of fancy words here. The derivative of position is velocity.

I think you need to invert your statement: when velocity is zero you’re stopped and do need to pay rent.

(Side note: people generally take ideas more seriously when you avoid obfuscating the message with unnecessary technical terms like “time derivative of your position”. Just say “speed”)

Realtors, watch out!

Consider this:

So first, you are talking about an RV. Not obvious the first few times I read it.

You've got to stop and charge periodically. And that's a manual process that I don't want to wake up for in the middle of the night or while I'm at work.
The floor space of most RVs is smaller than the amount in my office right now.
Unless you are a NYC apartment dweller, an RV is going to be a LOT smaller and not adequate for families.

Conventional RVs are often purchased with similar flawed logic. Retiree cashes out his home, and buys a traveling RV. Sleeps overnights at free Wallmarts etc. Spend daylight hours adventuring and seeing the USA. After a few years he has had enough, and wants to go back to his old neighborhood. Discovers that his old house has gone way up in price, mortage interest rates have doubled and taxes will go way up due to increased value, and he cannot afford to buy back in. His motorhome has depreciated deeply and is now in need of many expensive repairs and service.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Conventional RVs are often purchased with similar flawed logic. Retiree cashes out his home, and buys a traveling RV. Sleeps overnights at free Wallmarts etc. Spend daylight hours adventuring and seeing the USA. After a few years he has had enough, and wants to go back to his old neighborhood. Discovers that his old house has gone way up in price, mortage interest rates have doubled and taxes will go way up due to increased value, and he cannot afford to buy back in. His motorhome has depreciated deeply and is now in need of many expensive repairs and service.

And it becomes a big issue on where and how you interface with the fixed world. Like mail. Like addresses for things. There are a lot of things that require valid mailing and living addresses.

Realtors, watch out!

Consider this:

No. People want land. That is what is valuable. Most people don't want to be vagabonds. Right now someone can live like this if they want. The gypsies do it in Romania now.

LOL! 😂

FSD can't even make a blind turn without almost causing an accident. Be real.
The only thing FSD is going to disrupt is your blood pressure as it tries to make a U-turn at 10 MPH with oncoming traffic blitzing at you.
Interesting, both of my cars do quite well with FSD. My wife and I have been using FSD daily for years.

How far will it have to drive to get to a Mega Charger? Maybe get the Tesla Robot to empty the Grey and Black Water Tanks and refill the Fresh Water Tank.
You could use the Motorhome as a Garage
1718757312895.png