Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone taken delivery of a new Model S and opted for the steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ideally, yes.

Indeed, it may not be possible every single time but it usually is, even if it means parking a few metres farther. It goes with the rule that "your first move should always be forward" (even though in the age of backup cameras that's not so true anymore).

Other than that, I'm sure we can all think of some situation in which sounding the horn would be useful (I did give an example) but 1. you still have no control over the situation and 2. just how often is the horn used legitimately, as opposed to chastising someone for whatever road sin they have committed in someone's view, expressing anger or frustration, etc.?

IMHO car horns belong to a different age and should be removed. Most of their use is illegal and unnecessary anyway
I only ever use my horn for notifying someone in an emergency. It’s frustrating that you keep pushing your agenda without regard for real-world safety issues that require a horn to be easily accessible. Always leave an out, you say. Gosh I wished I lived in this perfect world where you are an absolutely perfect driver who never, ever finds himself in anything less than a perfect driving situation, thus never ever needs a properly functioning horn.

Now, in the real world, are some people douchebags when it comes to horn use? Absolutely. Are others using it the way it’s meant to be employed? Absobloodylutely. Perhaps you live in Nowheresville, Indiana where nothing ever happens and the roads are empty 99% of the time? Cool. Now imagine that’s not the case for at least some of us, and let it go. This isn’t a discussion about whether a horn is necessary at all. It’s whether it should be more easily accessible. And the answer to that is an overwhelming yes, if this forum (and every other recent car on the planet) is the barometer.

True. The biggest problem is that on our other Tesla's and our Mercedes, you push the stalk down for forward and up for reverse. On the Model S, they f'd up by making it the other way around. Probably too late to reprogram that since so many cars have already been sold.
My first drive with my MSP I had to go through a toll booth. Since I hadn't yet moved my EZPASS over to the MSP, I had to stop and pay. After paying, I promptly swiped down to drive and damn near backed into the car behind me. I now go through a fricking pre-flight checklist before swiping that thing. It's all cute and "techy" until you have to do real sh*t. My conclusion on this is that some of the people behind these decisions are thinking more "wouldn't this be cool" than "does this in any way enhance or improve on the driving experience."

My first drive with my MSP I had to go through a toll booth. Since I hadn't yet moved my EZPASS over to the MSP, I had to stop and pay. After paying, I promptly swiped down to drive and damn near backed into the car behind me. I now go through a fricking pre-flight checklist before swiping that thing. It's all cute and "techy" until you have to do real sh*t. My conclusion on this is that some of the people behind these decisions are thinking more "wouldn't this be cool" than "does this in any way enhance or improve on the driving experience."
Up forward seems natural to me. Up for backwards .... not natural .... to me. But I've only driven a Feb 2022 MSLR.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Solution to a problem that didn’t exist.

I do think the shift from park beta is nice but you have to be very careful with it. I’ve nearly driven into a wall in the parking garage not paying enough attention as it chose forward instead of reverse.

That’s exactly what happened. Elon and/or Franz got the idea that a yoke would be cool, then they didn’t like the way it looked with stalks, so that was the problem the engineers solved for. Usability, HCI, safety, UX had nothing to do with it.

How Lexus Fixed Tesla's Bad Idea: Steer-By-Wire Yoke

The Good:
  • Steer-by-wire
  • Stalks attached to yoke
  • Center horn?

The Bad:
  • Slow response
He also mentioned some design flaws at the end. For me, the non-linear steering could be a problem. My old Audi had adaptive force steering (harder to turn at high speeds) but still linear. Non-linear could be harder to get used to.

Up forward seems natural to me. Up for backwards .... not natural .... to me. But I've only driven a Feb 2022 MSLR.

Except that in every other Tesla to date, it’s the opposite. Up for reverse; down for drive.

So now I’m having to play the “which car is this again?” game. It’s bad enough when I have a rental; I expect that. But in my own cars at home, it’s dang annoying.

Except that in every other Tesla to date, it’s the opposite. Up for reverse; down for drive.

So now I’m having to play the “which car is this again?” game. It’s bad enough when I have a rental; I expect that. But in my own cars at home, it’s dang annoying.
VERY BIG +1.

We have two Model S cars, 2018 and 2022, they are nothing alike when it comes to driving. I think it is reasonable to expect them to be the same, considering same manufacturer and model.

Prior to Teslas I drove Toyotas. They all were basically the same, even between left and right hand drive, for the more than 30 years I drove them.