TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Has anyone tried Perpendicular Auto Park yet?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Haxster, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Haxster

Haxster Member

I finally got 17.26.76.to show the dim little "P". I engaged it, and it started backing into a space. I chickened out and hit the brake when it looked like the car was about to mash my passenger side rear door into one of the two parked cars.:eek: I could have misjudged things, but....

I tried several times to get the "P" to show up on other spots, but was unsuccessful. Although I was always under 10 mph and well beyond the open spots, I'm probably not doing something right. Any suggestions?

Also, when there are spots on both the right and the left, I wonder how the car decides which one to back in to.

2. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Don't go down the center of isle in the parking lot, go much closer to the side you target. But you can do either side.

You gotta trust the routine, but you can interrupt, then resume (on screen option) from that point also.

Practice with some nice wide spots between cars, then you'll become an expert soon. It centers between the two cars, not the painted lines.

• Informative x 2
  3. Bongju

Bongju New Member

I installed 17.26.76 this morning and immediately drove my 100D to a Lowes parking lot to try it out. I got the P indicator only if I drove near the side I wanted to park on; driving down the middle of the lane did not work. My first attempt was on a fairly wide space in which it backed up perfectly. The next few attempts were on narrower spaces. Each time it appeared my back end would strike a car so I aborted. On the next attempt, I didn't abort. My car stopped backing up on its own, pulled forward to correct, and back up perfectly. Once I learned to trust it, the next five attempts were successful. Overall, I am very impressed.

• Helpful x 1
  4. aleagle

aleagle Member

You gotta have faith! I installed 17.26.76 last night and took it to a nearby not-too-busy parking lot. My S (Snail) parked like a champ; however, there was a very high "pucker factor"!

5. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

My DS had me test it in the Tesla parking lot, right between 2 spanking new Ss.
    He was calm as can be, while I literally closed my eyes. :eek:

6. croman

croman Active Member

I can't do it with the parallel park (let it park and just watch as it inches so close to other cars) and perpendicular sounds excruciating since I'm pretty good at it without help. @NikeWings -- that situation freaks me out just thinking about it.

• Funny x 1
  7. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

AP1 here. I've tried parallel and perpendicular exactly ONCE.
    I'm too chicken to let it try again. I've heard stories of people getting their car hurt while trying the autopark thing.

8. hmmm

hmmm Member

Now, THAT is the spirit!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  9. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I've used it a bunch of times on my AP1 car. I tend to not use it a lot because I can park faster than the car can park itself (so I will never use it if there is traffic waiting for Me to get out of the way).

Bruce.

• Like x 2
  10. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

I finally got it to show up today. Operated much as I remember it behaving on my AP1 test drive: nifty trick but completely and utterly worthless in any practical sense. At least summon can be used to adjust car position without needing to get back in the car(or extricate the car from a tight spot). I've never seen any situation in which it's worth waiting the eons auto park takes to park perpendicularly.

It's especially baffling to me considering how quick parallel parking is.

11. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I rarely get the perpendicular symbol to show on my car. When it does, it parks perfectly and backs and fills as many times as necessary. However, it it usually fails to show when I really need it rather than when I just want to show off. A P 1.

12. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

Our MS with AP1 parallel parks well and often. It can be finicky when it comes to perpendicular parking but will do it. At first, its speed during parking was startling but doesn't bother me now.

13. Drmad23

Drmad23 Member

AP1 owner here.
    It works very well. You really have to trust the car because at first it can be a bit scary (it tends to back up really close to the car on the side) but you have to keep the faith.
    I don't use it often because, like Bruce said, it can be very slow and people don't really know why you're taking so long.. :)

14. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

It's NEVER a single reverse into the spot, it will go back to figure each car position better, then go/curve outward, then back-in perfectly on second/final step. Multi-step approach, different than people normally try.

15. aleagle

aleagle Member

Just tried my new update in a relatively empty parking lot. I trusted in AP2 and my S did a wonderful job backing up into the vacant space, albeit with a high "pucker factor" on my part!

• Like x 1
  16. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I should never say never. Just updated today, tried it, and the routine seems different from my old AP1 car, as almost a smooth swing to attempt a one step approach. But it still did take 2 steps in the end due to tightness. Also a bit slower, which is OK in my situations. Centering and distance to car behind were perfect.

old |v8.1(17.17.4)| AP2 |
    new |v8.1(17.26.76)| AP2 |

17. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Tried for the first time today. Got 1/2 way in then stopped with the message "autopark paused". No idea why it paused or how to unpause, so just aborted it and finished the job. AP2

18. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

I've used mine a handful of times... Here are my findings:

- Each time it did complete the job.
    - The job would sometimes be slightly crooked, but it would be in the spot equidistant between the two cars on each side.
    - Lots of back up and correction before taking it all the way in
    - Initial backup does seem to get really close to another car, but it would eventually stop and pull ahead.
    - You have to be under 10mph for it to see the "P", and it's been OK in finding them (not great).

19. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Still haven't been able to get the P to display in parking lots...

20. spooky981

spooky981 Member

It's slightly useful with my kid in the car. I'll activate autopark and then begin to unbuckle her and gather her belongings. But no matter what you do it will always take two attempts to work. So it's not a time-saving solution compared to doing it yourself.