Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone tried Perpendicular Auto Park yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got 17.26.76.to show the dim little "P". I engaged it, and it started backing into a space. I chickened out and hit the brake when it looked like the car was about to mash my passenger side rear door into one of the two parked cars.:eek: I could have misjudged things, but....

I tried several times to get the "P" to show up on other spots, but was unsuccessful. Although I was always under 10 mph and well beyond the open spots, I'm probably not doing something right. Any suggestions?

Also, when there are spots on both the right and the left, I wonder how the car decides which one to back in to.

Don't go down the center of isle in the parking lot, go much closer to the side you target. But you can do either side.

You gotta trust the routine, but you can interrupt, then resume (on screen option) from that point also.

Practice with some nice wide spots between cars, then you'll become an expert soon. It centers between the two cars, not the painted lines.

I installed 17.26.76 this morning and immediately drove my 100D to a Lowes parking lot to try it out. I got the P indicator only if I drove near the side I wanted to park on; driving down the middle of the lane did not work. My first attempt was on a fairly wide space in which it backed up perfectly. The next few attempts were on narrower spaces. Each time it appeared my back end would strike a car so I aborted. On the next attempt, I didn't abort. My car stopped backing up on its own, pulled forward to correct, and back up perfectly. Once I learned to trust it, the next five attempts were successful. Overall, I am very impressed.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I finally got it to show up today. Operated much as I remember it behaving on my AP1 test drive: nifty trick but completely and utterly worthless in any practical sense. At least summon can be used to adjust car position without needing to get back in the car(or extricate the car from a tight spot). I've never seen any situation in which it's worth waiting the eons auto park takes to park perpendicularly.

It's especially baffling to me considering how quick parallel parking is.

AP1 owner here.
It works very well. You really have to trust the car because at first it can be a bit scary (it tends to back up really close to the car on the side) but you have to keep the faith.
I don't use it often because, like Bruce said, it can be very slow and people don't really know why you're taking so long.. :)

I installed 17.26.76 this morning and immediately drove my 100D to a Lowes parking lot to try it out. I got the P indicator only if I drove near the side I wanted to park on; driving down the middle of the lane did not work. My first attempt was on a fairly wide space in which it backed up perfectly. The next few attempts were on narrower spaces. Each time it appeared my back end would strike a car so I aborted. On the next attempt, I didn't abort. My car stopped backing up on its own, pulled forward to correct, and back up perfectly. Once I learned to trust it, the next five attempts were successful. Overall, I am very impressed.
It's NEVER a single reverse into the spot, it will go back to figure each car position better, then go/curve outward, then back-in perfectly on second/final step. Multi-step approach, different than people normally try.

It's NEVER a single reverse into the spot, it will go back to figure each car position better, then go/curve outward, then back-in perfectly on second/final step. Multi-step approach, different than people normally try.
I should never say never. Just updated today, tried it, and the routine seems different from my old AP1 car, as almost a smooth swing to attempt a one step approach. But it still did take 2 steps in the end due to tightness. Also a bit slower, which is OK in my situations. Centering and distance to car behind were perfect.

old |v8.1(17.17.4)| AP2 |
new |v8.1(17.26.76)| AP2 |

I've used mine a handful of times... Here are my findings:

- Each time it did complete the job.
- The job would sometimes be slightly crooked, but it would be in the spot equidistant between the two cars on each side.
- Lots of back up and correction before taking it all the way in
- Initial backup does seem to get really close to another car, but it would eventually stop and pull ahead.
- You have to be under 10mph for it to see the "P", and it's been OK in finding them (not great).

It's slightly useful with my kid in the car. I'll activate autopark and then begin to unbuckle her and gather her belongings. But no matter what you do it will always take two attempts to work. So it's not a time-saving solution compared to doing it yourself.