Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Model S quality improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While build quality has improved, there is zero - and I mean zero - after care.

If I had to make my $100,000 bet again, I would bet on something else.

Good news for you: several re-sale reports I have recently read indicate that Tesla retains it's value better than other luxury brands! Granted, you won't get what you paid for it, but you're likely to get a higher percentage of purchase price than what you would be getting if you had purchased another luxury brand. Take your lumps now and move on to a brand you can truly enjoy. Lots of Tesla-wanna-be Buyers out there now . . . .

Good news for you: several re-sale reports I have recently read indicate that Tesla retains it's value better than other luxury brands! Granted, you won't get what you paid for it, but you're likely to get a higher percentage of purchase price than what you would be getting if you had purchased another luxury brand. Take your lumps now and move on to a brand you can truly enjoy. Lots of Tesla-wanna-be Buyers out there now . . . .

Fake news. Sticker price on my car $135K.
Price I could sell it for today is around $50K

Tesla’s depreciation curve is way out of whack.

I am not talking about service. I am talking customer care which does not exist at the moment.

Try escalating something beyond your local service center and let me know how it goes.
But what does this mean?
I've never attempted to talk to anyone above a local car dealer service department either. I've certainly never tried to contact anyone directly at the manufacturer. Is it easy for other car companies?

But what does this mean?
I've never attempted to talk to anyone above a local car dealer service department either. I've certainly never tried to contact anyone directly at the manufacturer. Is it easy for other car companies?

Let’s say you need someone to make a business related decision. For example, I am done being a loyal Tesla customer unless you can do x,y, or z where any of those things involve something beyond installing a part.

Yes, any other manufacturer can handle that situation and will do something about it. BMW knows they have customers for life so long as they treat you right and they don’t want you jumping ship to Mercedes. Tesla doesn’t seem to understand this.

“Car was messed up during delivery and we promised to fix it? Just kidding. We already have your money. Go away now.”

BMW wants to be in a position to earn my money again.

Let’s say you need someone to make a business related decision. For example, I am done being a loyal Tesla customer unless you can do x,y, or z where any of those things involve something beyond installing a part.

Yes, any other manufacturer can handle that situation and will do something about it. BMW knows they have customers for life so long as they treat you right and they don’t want you jumping ship to Mercedes. Tesla doesn’t seem to understand this.

“Car was messed up during delivery and we promised to fix it? Just kidding. We already have your money. Go away now.”

BMW wants to be in a position to earn my money again.

Weird. Upon delivery I noticed my seat had a crease in the seam. They came to my house and replaced the whole seat.

Better to get the information from people directly familiar with the matter. The message gets distorted and quite useless as it propagates between people. Ever play “Telephone”?

This is not how knowledge and critical thinking is structured, but it is a common mistake that people make in reasoning.

Knowledge/information/argumentation is independent of the source. To dismiss a source rather than dissect the ideas presented is to commit a fallacy. To assign validity to the conclusion from a source based on the experience of that source may also be to commit a fallacy (which, in this case, it is).

In specific, to claim that a person must be a Tesla owner to provide argument regarding overall Tesla vehicle quality/reliability/etc. is fallacious because it does not address the argument presented. This is called an Ad Hominem fallacy.

The converse of that, which has been implied (if not outright stated), is that a Tesla owner providing experience as argument regarding overall Tesla vehicle quality/reliability/etc. is inherently correct (or more valid). This is also fallacious in being Anecdotal Evidence, which leads to Hasty Generalization.

That being said, the discussion here has, unfortunately, been pages and pages of very little substance...and mostly the kind of posturing that people only engage in with the impersonal distance and safety of the Internet as protection.

Reactions: vexige
Sorry for straying to stray a bit off-topic..
AMG and BMW M make coupes that are far lighter and highly tossable, hence why they are considered by most reviewers and enthusiasts as excellent driving vehicles. Sure they consume more fuel but that is the trade-off for all that power across the entire band.
Back in the '80s perhaps. But these days a BMW M3 is over 3600 lbs - far from "tossable". Drives like crap on normal roads, too. Reviewers are paid for positive reviews and most write/talk better than they can drive. I trust my own butt - been racing since I was 7. Rather have a Tesla for effortless commuting, and a lightweight performance car for the weekend.

And when (not even the 80s) was an AMG tossable?
AMG did a great job of extra aero flair and shoehorning large motors in smaller cars. Stiffen up the suspension a bit and put in some sport seats.
No serious driver puts AMG in the same class as M series.

As far as the "impersonal distance of the internet" - I told an Italian-American (I am 25% Italian) that I didn't really like his favorite Italian restaurant. I am perfectly ok with disagreeing in person.

Our definition of tossable has morphed over time as our car's weights went up because of other expectations. Either way 3500 pounds is more tossable than 4500 pounds. If you want tossable, a S isn't really that car. But it does make it a more comfortable cruiser.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
This is not how knowledge and critical thinking is structured, but it is a common mistake that people make in reasoning.

Knowledge/information/argumentation is independent of the source. To dismiss a source rather than dissect the ideas presented is to commit a fallacy. To assign validity to the conclusion from a source based on the experience of that source may also be to commit a fallacy (which, in this case, it is).

In specific, to claim that a person must be a Tesla owner to provide argument regarding overall Tesla vehicle quality/reliability/etc. is fallacious because it does not address the argument presented. This is called an Ad Hominem fallacy.

The converse of that, which has been implied (if not outright stated), is that a Tesla owner providing experience as argument regarding overall Tesla vehicle quality/reliability/etc. is inherently correct (or more valid). This is also fallacious in being Anecdotal Evidence, which leads to Hasty Generalization.

That being said, the discussion here has, unfortunately, been pages and pages of very little substance...and mostly the kind of posturing that people only engage in with the impersonal distance and safety of the Internet as protection.

there’s a difference between “sharing knowledge” and trolling.

Last edited:
there’s a difference between “sharing knowledge” and trolling.
Nope, the entire conversation started with the user stating that sitting in a BMW or Benz would be just as disappointing from a materials quality/build quality perspective as in Tesla, when I refuted that stating that in an overwhelming amount of reviews by both automotive journalists and new Tesla owners the opposite is true, I was called a "troll" ONLY because I didn't own one. Yet I have tons of posts from when I first joined talking about my love of the brand, my issues with customer service when inquiring multiple times about buying one, my initial concerns keeping me from jumping in, then providing factual data to support my stance.

I simply don't understand why me having the same valid concerns that current owners do by default makes me a troll. I know more about the brand than most owners, let alone Tesla salespeople and staff simply because I over-research when I am making such a significant purchase. If I simply came here trying to convince people NOT to buy one, and that ICE vehicles are far superior...you would have a point but I've done no such thing. In reality, I'mprobably obsessed with Tesla, I subscribed to various Tesla Youtube channels, have many site links to new/preowned, along with car trackers (EV-CPO.com, Onlyusedtesla.com) and almost every day check for the latest news on them, not to mention whenever I'm in the area I always stop by the showroom. It's not easy to simply say "jump in" for an almost $100k car and "hope" you get one of the good ones i.e. no flaws, defects or runarounds about delivery or repairs, when there are a significant amount of stories from those that did do that unfortunately. Would I love the car regardless? Yes, but that would make it all the more frustrating and I need my car for the work I do (IT Proj. Mgmt.) which requires me to travel often, no excuses.

I have a 2014 P85+ with 58K on the clock as i bough it last November from Tesla. I have had terrible luck with service center. Not because of car, but the people who work there at my local one. I am located in Long Island, NY and the closest one to me is in Syosset as i am out east by Hamptons. Any who, the problems i had with my car were seat sensor went bad, water was coming in from trunk inside the car, door handles replaced and tail lights replaced. I had 3 separate visits for those and each time i brought my car in - the technicians damaged my car. First guy scratched the crap out of my interior carbon fiber trim. That got replaced. Second visit to replace the seat to a new one due to a damaged sensor the guy scratched my door panel with a nice 6 inch scratch. Third time they failed to do the work on the tail lights and LIED to me that they said they replaced. After the first two issues, i actually marked the tail light from the inside with a RED sharpie and i made a video of me doing it. I showed that to the service center manager who looked shocked after they said they replaced it. They didnt do squat! i got an apology up the ying yang about it, but i told them that i have to go thru this length because i do not have any feeling that you people will do the work. I also complained to corporate about it.

Long story short, while my case was bad - its not a reflection of the company it self which are dependent on the people to do the work as they require. You will get this anyways, fortunately, i love the car and the mission so i will stand by them.

I have a 2014 P85+ with 58K on the clock as i bough it last November from Tesla. I have had terrible luck with service center. Not because of car, but the people who work there at my local one. I am located in Long Island, NY and the closest one to me is in Syosset as i am out east by Hamptons. Any who, the problems i had with my car were seat sensor went bad, water was coming in from trunk inside the car, door handles replaced and tail lights replaced. I had 3 separate visits for those and each time i brought my car in - the technicians damaged my car. First guy scratched the crap out of my interior carbon fiber trim. That got replaced. Second visit to replace the seat to a new one due to a damaged sensor the guy scratched my door panel with a nice 6 inch scratch. Third time they failed to do the work on the tail lights and LIED to me that they said they replaced. After the first two issues, i actually marked the tail light from the inside with a RED sharpie and i made a video of me doing it. I showed that to the service center manager who looked shocked after they said they replaced it. They didnt do squat! i got an apology up the ying yang about it, but i told them that i have to go thru this length because i do not have any feeling that you people will do the work. I also complained to corporate about it.

Long story short, while my case was bad - its not a reflection of the company it self which are dependent on the people to do the work as they require. You will get this anyways, fortunately, i love the car and the mission so i will stand by them.
I think the biggest problem at least for me/my area is that you are kinda limited for service areas/options, I think there are one or two in my state. Whereas with larger brands you can have anywhere from 3 to 20 other options if the closest one to you is "difficult" with regards to repairs and warranty work. The one closest to me has mixed reviews, many of the same stories as far as lack of knowledge, communication or getting the runaround, no loaners, etc.

Reactions: analRaviOli