Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have a budget of 55k for pre-owned S: what should I expect to get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!
Been following Tesla since 2008, and has been a dream to own a Model S since it was first announce. Finally at a point where I can afford one and looking to purchase some point in the next 2 months.

I’ve been tracking prices everywhere and it seems like prices bounce all over the place. My question is, if I am patient does everyone think it’s possible to find a Model S with less than 50k miles, enhanced autopilot and ultra hi-fi audio in my price range? I have yet to come across one but feel like I might? I really like the idea of buying straight from Tesla to get the extended warranty, but is this really worth it?

Hi Everyone!
Been following Tesla since 2008, and has been a dream to own a Model S since it was first announce. Finally at a point where I can afford one and looking to purchase some point in the next 2 months.

I’ve been tracking prices everywhere and it seems like prices bounce all over the place. My question is, if I am patient does everyone think it’s possible to find a Model S with less than 50k miles, enhanced autopilot and ultra hi-fi audio in my price range? I have yet to come across one but feel like I might? I really like the idea of buying straight from Tesla to get the extended warranty, but is this really worth it?
I can't comment on availability at that price range but I did buy a used S75 from a private owner that had < 50,000 miles and he added the extended warranty prior to selling it to me, we just added cost to purchase price.

Reactions: neroden
@NorCalChris - I just got a 2016 75D for $56K and its fully loaded other than UHF. I bought mine from Tesla simply because of the 4 year/80k km peace of mind. Mine was built prior to AP2 (its a June 2016 build. AP2 came out in Oct. 2016). Prices in Canada are generally higher than the US, so you may be able to get what you want for $55K, so you'd be looking at a car built from Oct. 2016

Thanks for the input everyone, to answer the questions...

Yes, I'm good with and looking for a 75D. I might settle for a 75 but really want dual motor.

As far as Autopilot goes, I would like 2.0+ hardware, and either EAP or FSD.

My ideal car would be a late 2016 Model S 75D with free supercharging and autopilot 2.0 hardware/EAP, pearl white, black interior, and ultra hi-fi audio. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can find one in my budget in the next couple months!

I can't speak now towards availability or price but back in April, I purchased a pre-owned 2015 Model S 85D from Tesla with just about every option for $52.7. The car was in perfect condition with under 17k miles and looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

I will say this now having lost the 2015 (accident) and replacing it with a 2019, I find that so far AP 1.0 seems to have been a lot more 'sure-footed' on the roads than 2.5/FSD. Of course, this will change as 2.5 is developed further. It has already improved significantly in the last software update or two. AP 1.0 is pretty much going to be as-is from here out but it's still a good system.

In other words, you should be able to find a good car with that budget and I wouldn't be so concerned with AP 1.0 vs AP 2.0.

My ideal car would be a late 2016 Model S 75D with free supercharging and autopilot 2.0 hardware/EAP, pearl white, black interior, and ultra hi-fi audio. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can find one in my budget in the next couple months!

I have this exact car but it's not for sale.

I think the Ultra hi-fi audio is way overrated. Comparing standard and UFHS, I prefer the standard. I also like how the song plays from the beginning on the standard audio.

Also, I prefer the coil suspension (mainly because I don't want to deal with fixing the air suspension), which is another fairly rare thing.

Thanks for the input everyone, to answer the questions...

Yes, I'm good with and looking for a 75D. I might settle for a 75 but really want dual motor.

As far as Autopilot goes, I would like 2.0+ hardware, and either EAP or FSD.

If you go to Tesla's site and try a few different zip codes, you should find what you're looking for.
This is a $52,300 2016 90D Pearl white, black next-gen seats, ultra hi-fi audio, free supercharging, 35,221 miles. Found it in San Diego. It'll be a nice introductory road trip.
I don't see the build date, and don't know what version AP hardware it has.

VIN 5YJSA1E2XGF128635