Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you reserved your Model S or do you plan on it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here. I was tempted to place an S order the week they started but didn't because of the odds against production. Now I've got the bug again and it appears the car will be produced but my experience with Silicone Valley start ups tells me it will be delayed, some of the features will be 'vaporware', some of the specs will be compromised, and the price will be considerably higher than suggested. But I still want to order one. I'm not a 'gotta have the latest tech gizmo' and my interest is in the performance, appearance, and the utility of the car. I'm worried about buying the first year of any model again so I'm teetering.

Newbie here. I was tempted to place an S order the week they started but didn't because of the odds against production. Now I've got the bug again and it appears the car will be produced but my experience with Silicone Valley start ups tells me it will be delayed, some of the features will be 'vaporware', some of the specs will be compromised, and the price will be considerably higher than suggested. But I still want to order one. I'm not a 'gotta have the latest tech gizmo' and my interest is in the performance, appearance, and the utility of the car. I'm worried about buying the first year of any model again so I'm teetering.

I placed my order back in March before the IPO and Gov. loans were secured. I considered the biggest risk to losing my deposit was the viability of the company. Now that MBZ, Toyota, the Gov loan and IPO have infused cash into Tesla, the risk on losing my deposit due to viability of Tesla is greatly diminished IMO. I think the "odds against production" now are much lower than they were when Tesla first started taking orders for the Model S

What a deposit does is hold your place in line and gives you a seat in the car. IMO, there will be ample time between now and first production to request a return of your deposit if you don't like the price, design or any other aspect of the Model S. I do think there will be a tipping point within the next 6 months where waiting to place a deposit means not receiving the S until 2013 or 2014.

As for first year cars, I purchased a first year MBZ; not a bit of problems. Also purchased a first year Jaguar; nothing but problems. So from my experience I can't say it is a certainty first year manufactured cars have problems. As far as performance, appearance and utility of the Model S, I believe Tesla will have a production intent car for you to judge before your deposit becomes part of the sale.

Lastly, the deposit gives you some "skin in the game". Personally, I very much enjoy searching the web for every newsworthy article or photo about Tesla and Model S. Can't say that about the other EV's

... I considered the biggest risk to losing my deposit was the viability of the company. Now that MBZ, Toyota, the Gov loan and IPO have infused cash into Tesla, the risk on losing my deposit due to viability of Tesla is greatly diminished IMO. ...
You forgot Panasonic.

Having bought the first model Roadster I can say the warranty issues have been handled with aplomb.

..I considered the biggest risk to losing my deposit was the viability of the company. Now that MBZ, Toyota, the Gov loan and IPO have infused cash into Tesla, the risk on losing my deposit due to viability of Tesla is greatly diminished IMO. I think the "odds against production" now are much lower than they were when Tesla first started taking orders for the Model S....

I agree. That's why I'm considering again.

.... I do think there will be a tipping point within the next 6 months where waiting to place a deposit means not receiving the S until 2013 or 2014....

I know that feeling. I was going to get a Leaf to hold me over until the S is available but I missed that window by a long shot. I figured with the rebates I could sell the car for what I paid for it two years later. I procrastinated because that is one fugly car and by the time I decided 'so what, it's only temporary' it was too late.

....As for first year cars, I purchased a first year MBZ; not a bit of problems....

My first year Benz was a disaster.

.... As far as performance, appearance and utility of the Model S, I believe Tesla will have a production intent car for you to judge before your deposit becomes part of the sale.....

That's a requirement.

....I very much enjoy searching the web for every newsworthy article or photo about Tesla and Model S. Can't say that about the other EV's

I don't discount anyone from manufacturing a better car than the S. But so far (on paper :) ) that hasn't happened.

A leap of faith is required when purchasing any cutting edge product whether it's an electric performance vehicle, a 3D television, or your first desk top computer.

I pre-ordered a Lexus 400h hybrid SUV a few months before they were released to market...have owned 3 Lexus hybrids since then, all being great vehicles.

If you don't need the "latest & greatest", then I guess you should wait until the "S" hits the street to ensure that it is all that TM says it will be...of course, the waiting list will probably be a couple of years long by then.

...so I'm teetering.

The lease a Roadster until you get the Model S is a great compromise. You get to drive an electric car without risk. You don't have to worry about selling the roadster when you want to move to the Model S. You don't have to worry about Tesla's viability. Just drive a fun electric car while you wait for the Model S. Then, if the Model S is nothing but vaporware... or if you want to wait for the Model S 2.0, you can just keep driving the Roadster and ultimately go with whatever else you may want in 2012 or 2013.

The only downside, is the increased cost of the roadster (so this only works for people with $$$) and the roadster is not as practical as a Model S (some people need to carry more in their car). But for the people who can put up with the downside, there is a great no-risk upside.

If you're not the kind of person that has to have the latest toy on the block, I don't think there is any harm in waiting until the Model S is launched or until a production intent vehicle is ready for a test drive. I think the risk is very small about losing your deposit (close to zero) but it's not zero so it's a comfort thing more than anything. Since the deposit is fully refundable though, you can always place your deposit and then in late 2011/early 2012 when you will likely be able to test drive the Model S, make a decision about keeping your spot or waiting until they've had a year of production under their belt.

DSM363,
When did you reserve your Sig. Model S? I placed my order Feb. 24th 2009. I am working how long it took to gain another 100 Sig. Series due to my reservation number 26.

The lease a Roadster until you get the Model S is a great compromise.....

I need a four door/seater, otherwise I would. Everyone has made valid comments and it's just up to me pulling the trigger now. I know I'll be mad at myself if in two years I get the bug again only to find out there's a two year waiting list. I don't get the sense that the S will be a high production car so the chances of backlog are probably real.

I need a four door/seater, otherwise I would. Everyone has made valid comments and it's just up to me pulling the trigger now. I know I'll be mad at myself if in two years I get the bug again only to find out there's a two year waiting list. I don't get the sense that the S will be a high production car so the chances of backlog are probably real.

After the s is sold out, I'm sure you will still be able to buy somebody elses reservation on Ebay, not for 5k though.

The deposit is fully refundable so if you do put down a deposit, you have that in the back of your mind. The chances of you not being able to get your deposit back in early 2012 if you change your mind (after driving the Model S) are pretty low and you'll be helping the company move forward. Plus it's fun to have your production number and look forward to delivery, even if it's over a year away.

Last edited: